Thread: SQX - dead-born star?!

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

frequently I travel through my old bookmarks and have a look what's up.
    Recently I came across http://www.sqx-archiver.org again. Some months ago I talked with Giorgio about it, and he said it's not not widely spread. True, as http://www.sqx-archiver.org/customers.html proofs. Otoh, http://www.speedproject.de/enu/squeez/tour2b.html shall convince users to buy SQX-capable SpeedCommander. Has someone seen independent tests concerning SQX-format? Either I'm blind or noone besides Stephan Busch tested it so far. Is it such a bad format or is it an advertising-problem? Maybe it could be due to the fact that there is no CLI-version avaiable (besides the "new" http://www.sp-download.de/sq5/sqc_linux.tgz ) and ZipStar, SimplyZip (by D. Paehl) and others are not tested, as they are probably not configurable by command-line. Don't know about the license of the linux version, but can it be compiled for win32 (as it seems to be CLI)? Right now I am at work (nightwatch...), when I come home someday I'll try to catch some sleep and I'm not in the situation to have a closer look next days, nor do I have deeper knowledge of compiling...

Best regards!

Thanks
    I tried sometimes to make tests, and compare with 7-zip,uharc, paq...and the results whas poor for SQX

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

which version of SQX and on what test-sets?
    BTW: I found Squxe has tested Squeez 5.6, but with what settings? It reached #28 right under FreeArc 0.40b and Uharc 0.6b. Not bad.
    Similar on maximumcompression: Squeez 5.5 ->#22 (different settings on different test-sets)
    and of course Black_Fox: Squeez 5.5 -> #91 (couldnt find which settings yet)
    Finally I found Squeez 5.2 with detailed settings getting #46 on http://www.cs.fit.edu/~mmahoney/compression/text.h tml

Best regards!

Thanks
    sqx has 32mb dictionary and MM compression so it should have good enough results

Thanks
    I've found SQX 2.0 is very good. It has audio, image and executable compression in addition to LZH with 32 MB dictionary. Furthermore, PIM's MM compression is partially based in SQX's 1.0 MM compresssion which sources are availale.

Note that WinRK has a higher compression, but I guess it even less sphread than SQX. Why? New compression format + paid software. Just no one wants to pay for rare and unknown compression.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacon
    Black_Fox: Squeez 5.5 -> #91 (couldnt find which settings yet)
    I used ultra compression and 32MB dictionary (all optimizers enabled)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacon
    Maybe it could be due to the fact that there is no CLI-version avaiable
    Squeez CommandLine, Version 5.2 (Win32 Executable)
    Copyright 1993-2006 Sven Ritter. All rights reserved.

its installed as part of squeez installation

Quote Originally Posted by encode
    It has audio, image and executable compression in addition to LZH with 32 MB dictionary.
    plus PPMD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin
    plus PPMD
    Just forgot about PPMD (so called text compressor). In other words SQX has fully featured compression.

Thanks
    except for binary files compression that is very weak (lzh format is much worse even compared with rar):

a.arc 2,870,767
    a.rar 3,115,986
    a.sqx 3,323,775

overall, squeeze shows pretty good results - better than rar due to using large dictionary and better than 7zip due to MM filters and automatic switching to ppmd. it seems that it switches to PPMD based on file extesion like freearc

Tester
    Thanks
    SQX some years ago was preforming WinACE class; the programmers around Sven Ritter (Speed Commander), mainly Rainer Nausedat, were behind the Squeez Archiver and created SQX2 format that contains better multimedia filters and an LZR-based algo with 32 MB dictionary, PPM for text and exe filters.
    There is a coomandline version and format SDK.
    After the much too early death of Rainer Nausedat SQX2 the project is still bugfixed, but not developed any further since Rainer was the only codec-experianced person.

Ok, Squeez is slow, but still 7-Zip class. And with some further development, it would become both famous and even stronger.
    But no one has applied for helping/entering business as Sven Ritter told me.

Tester

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Fox
    Black_Fox: Squeez 5.5 -> #91 (couldnt find which settings yet) I used ultra compression and 32MB dictionary (all optimizers enabled)
    Try force text compression (and increase mem size)...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Fox
    I used ultra compression and 32MB dictionary (all optimizers enabled)
    Do you enable "better" for Ultra Compression ?

Thanks
    "play fast - faster - as fast as possible - even faster"

Thanks
    Well i tried a game (Hammsterball, very nice) it includes o3m (music) ogg audios, png's etc

The cpu used it's a P4-HT at 2.6GHz with 512 Ram using W-XP2

From low to best

Unpacked:
    23.692.000 bytes

With RAR 3.51x (best option)

With Uharc 0.6 (-m3 -md3276

With SQX: All to the maximum:

With 7-zip 4.51b usimg "-mx -mmt -r":

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    With Uharc 0.6 (-m3 -md3276
    -mx -md32768 should compres much better. ccmx, winrk too

Thanks
    SQX format is not mainstream but however some good programs support it (one for all Cobian Backup, really a good program) and I considered to add it to PeaZip because the format seem interesting, with a good compromise between speed, power and interesting features.
    The problem is that the (free) SDK doesn't feature a command-line binary, so I would have to write one based on the SDK dlls, wich will take time, or else the support would not be similar to the one for other formats (frontend to cl application, with option to export jobs as cl).
    A command line binary sqc.exe (and a Linux version) is featured in Squez package wich is not free (so I suppose binaries in this package are not freely redistributable) http://www.speedproject.de/enu/squeez/index.html

I rolled back to considering about adding extraction only support, but unfortunately (free) UnSqueez doesn't parse comman line parameters, and is available only for Windows, so it would not integrate nicely in PeaZip.
    I hope in the future a free console version of the program (or even a GUI one, but able to parse commands, like PEA executable) may come out for Windows and Linux, I'll be glad adding it to PeaZip and so I'll keep an eye on SQX in future.

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

thank you all for your distinct feedback!

compare with 7-zip,uharc, paq...and the results whas poor for SQX
    versus:
    From low to best ... With RAR 3.51x (best option)
    9.201.015 ... With SQX: All to the maximum:
    Second place in this contest (only beaten by 7-zip) and even better than UHARC 0.6. But that depends on the type of data to compress (as mostly experienced). Personally i consider it quite a good format, with good ideas, but it has to become a little more mature. And needs some more advertising...

Quote Originally Posted by giorgiotani
    A command line binary sqc.exe (and a Linux version) is featured in Squez package wich is not free (so I suppose binaries in this package are not freely redistributable)...
    So do I, Im "out-of-order" at the moment, so I cannot run the linux-cli-version to have a look at its messages. The win-cli-version is only allowed to be ran for 60 days, if not payed via Squeez, and must not be spread seperatly.
    I consider it not the best of all ideas to open source of SQX-format plus pre-compiled dlls but no cli-version. Second best marketing-strategy...

Best regards!

Thanks
    @vacon
    Zipstar supports SQX2 and is free for personal use. And compared zu 7-zip, it has a much more advanced GUI.

Thanks
    I remember at firsts times RAR whas more worst than ARJ, actually all people uses RAR, the same with 7-zip, but 7-zip needs multimedia filters, rar beats to 7-zip in multimedia, whats next? 7-zip 5? followed by...?