Thread: PeaZip Archiver

Thanks
    PeaZip v1.9 has been released.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio Tani
    The 7z frontend now allows to specify solid block size and the compression method, along to the level, can be saved in defaults.
    As for PAQ support, PAQ8L, JD and F are supported and Im evaluating with pleasure new Mahoneys LPAQ compressor for possible future inclusion.
    http://peazip.sourceforge.net/

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

good news!
    Thank you LovePimple

Best regards!

Thanks
    Hi all! I was on vacation last weeks and I had only spotty connection, so sorry if I didn't posted about PeaZip update!
    Let me give some spoilers about what's going on in 1.9.1 development, planned for release in september: I'm adding read/write support for lpaq1 compressor, wich with "TAR before" option (like for bz, gz and quad) will be usable for general purpose archiving, and I'll imporve format recognition, right now the development version is able to recognize 57 extensions.

Thanks
    Thanks Giorgio!

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

Quote Originally Posted by giorgiotani
    Let me give some spoilers about whats going on in 1.9.1 development,...
    Thank you, Giorgio!
    PeaZip is getting more and more complete. Any ideas / plans regarding lzpm?

Best regards!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacon
    Any ideas / plans regarding lzpm?
    LZPM should be considered as an experimental compressor <u>and may not be used with widespread programs</u> - since <u>I keep rights to change compatibility at any time</u>! Later, when LZPM become mature, Ill release it at SF.net as an open source project.

Thanks
    Well, I'm very focused in introducing support for newer compression algorithms, I think those years are seeing a great deal of interesting innovation in this field and with the "TAR before" mechanism it's quite simple to turn a pure compressor in something very usable both on Windows and *x world.

As you may guess by my choices, paq/lpaq project is what I currently consider overall more brilliant as for pure compression, but of course I'm looking to several interesting upcoming projects since compression has several implication and efficience may be differently evaluated changing user's paradigms.

In example, QUAD project is very interesting because of non simmetry in speed, privileging decompression, which is good for asymmetric tasks (i.e. I can accept to spend quite much computing power to compress a content to distribute, if then I know it will be lighter and faster to unpack for several users); I would like to add a project focused on the other side privileging compression speed over decompresssion (i.e. I usually do several GB of backup a day, but rarely need to restore some few files, so I can accept slower extraction if I can get a more efficient compression).

But as encode pointed out, retrocompatibility is a serious issue because from one side it would be a very bad limitation for development of a new format/algorithm, and on the other it would be an important prerequisite to introduce a format in a general purpose compression program, so it's better to have the project out of the alpha stage before considering the inclusion in another project.

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

Quote Originally Posted by encode
    LZPM should be considered as an experimental compressor
    I do know that. I follow your informations carefully.

since I keep rights to change compatibility at any time!
    At least that, and you keep the rights on anything else too! You are the author

Later, when LZPM become mature, Ill release it at SF.net as an open source project.
    And that was what I was talking about:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacon
    Any ideas / plans regarding lzpm?
    Maybe I have been not quite clear enough, but I liked to know if Giorgio had an eye on development, since it is very promising. Similar to quad (which he integrated...)
    Neither more, nor less. Just asking!

Best regards!

Thanks
    Just done quick tests on PAQ8N (very interesting), after a suggestion in PeaZip's forum, all is OK and it will be added in the upcoming 1.9.1 version of september.