Thread: LZPX licence

Thanks
    As I'm unemployed since a few months and I'm pretty experienced in multimedia programming, I'm currently trying to develop a small commercial video game running on my smartphone.

To lower down the data footprint I need to add compression to my game engine, and the best freeware open-source library that I've found is LZPX. Unfortunately LZPX a GNU-licenced project, and thus I can't use it because in a way my project is commercial, as once finished I'll to try to find a publisher to distribute it.

This is a big problem for me, as I really want to use it and not another library because LZPX is so perfectly suited to my needs, as it's very small, incredibly fast, and it still achieves really good compression ratios, and I would have liked to know if there would be a way to be allowed to use LZPX in my game engine ?

Thanks
    Do you talking about:

LZPX 1.5b (Release date: 16 Nov 2005)

or

LZPXJ 1.2h (Release date: 6 Mar 2007)

?

If you talking about LZPX (without "J"), I can say that the compression is obsolete. However, it's fast, memory efficient, well tested and simple!

In both cases I can give you a permission for use in your project.

In addition, you can look at QUAD compressor:
    http://quad.sourceforge.net

It's also OpenSource (under LGPL) and simple.

Thanks
    Thanks !!!!

I've downloaded your new QUAD library, and unsurprisingly just like LZPX it's exactly what I was looking for : its code is still simple, small, fast and effective, and best of all it's LGPL'd

And big respect, this is really a great piece of software. Not only am I impressed by its results, but also by the fact that you managed again to reach them with such a small code. Really impressive

Thanks again !!!