Thread: 7z 4.47 beta. To use or not to use?

Thanks
    Hi all, I'm considering about replacing the 7z 4.42 executable and dlls (old but good) with 4.47 beta (or one of the other latest beta) for the upcoming PeaZip 1.8.
    There are many interesting new features and many improvements, I expecially like the new command line benchmark feature and the read/write support for AES encrypted ZIP; but it's a beta.
    Tracker and forums doesn't give too worrying feedbacks and in my experience it is jet a great quality software, like all Igor Pavlov's releases I tested, but I'm aware a single user experience may be all but exaustive, so I'm asking you if someone run into some problems or if generally your user experience with latest 7-Zip betas is generally satisfying.

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

_my_ needs are satisfied with nearly every beta Igor hands out.
    He lives in a tradition of many programmers, that have kind of paranoia when adding new features...
    As you stated, there has been few reports (to be honest: only one serious that I know, from MySpace) regarding true bugs in the last weeks. All other comments dealt with features that are "missing".
    Give the latest beta a chance. (Maybe you could give a hint where one would be abele to get an older version of the archivers integrated, for "nostalgic" reasons...)

Best regards!

Thanks
    I agree with every bit, all 7-Zip betas I tested were great!
    I'm going to develop PeaZip 1.8 fronted to use 4.47 and from my first tests it seem the users will be able to just replace without problems files in
    es7z whith ones from any previous 7-Zip beta, or from 4.42 (latest stable); however I'll document this possibility.

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

just one question (little off-topic...):
    will you think about integrating freearc from Bulat?

Best regards!

Thanks
    I tryed it some times ago and it seem interesting.
    However, I'm trying to keep Linux and Windows versions as similar as possible (in the upcoming release, i.e. I worked to replicate the "extract and run" and "open output path" features on Linux) and afaik a Linux port of freearc is not available.
    Anyway I'll be glad in continue monitoring the progresses of Freearc and probably I'll consider to add it in future.

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

Quote Originally Posted by giorgiotani
    ...Im trying to keep Linux and Windows versions as similar as possible...
    hmm... point for you

@Bulat:
    Will it be possible to port a Haskell-program to Linux and/or other OS? Or is there a compiler to use sourcecode natively (as can be found on http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GNU/Linux, but most things sound double-dutch for me...)?

Best regards!

Thanks
    i should compile it yourself using linux version of the same ghc compiler. i expect some simple problems will need to fix. i still don't found time to get linux installatiuon cds from my friend

Giorgiotani, thanks!