Thread: Fast arithcoder for compression of LZ77 output

Thanks
    i work on lz77 compressor. using arithmetic coder here looks promising but it's quite slow for my purposes. does anyone knows the ways to make its usage faster?

that i found: normalizing total to 2^n removes division in coder and one divison in decoder - 2x faster. because lz77 output contains fixed-width bit sequences (lowere bits of dist/length) i plan to encode them in a separate bit stream instead of sending through the arith coder. but may be there is some better way, in particular some fast way to encode such bit fields in arithmetic coder?

and last problem - is it possible to change rangecoder to output more than one byte a time? how can i determine limits on total value imposed by this particular encoder/decoder implementation?

the code i use is derived from quad with a little modification of using total=2^bits:

<code>
    void Encode(unsigned int cum, unsigned int cnt, unsigned int bits) {
    low += (cum * (range >>= bits));
    range *= cnt;
    while (range < (1 << 24)) {
    range <<= 8;
    ShiftLow();
    }
    }

void ShiftLow() {
    if ((low ^ 0xff000000) >= (1 << 24)) {
    unsigned int c = static_cast<unsigned int>(low >> 32);
    putc(buffer + c);
    c += 255;
    for (; help > 0; help--)
    putc(c);
    buffer = static_cast<unsigned int>(low) >> 24;
    }
    else
    help++;
    low = static_cast<unsigned int>(low) << 8;
    }
    </code>

ps: is it possible to format the code here?

Thanks
    I just implemented a VERY fast arithmetic encoder!

Currently Im under experiments...

However, I implemented a bit-oriented encoder, similar as used with LZMA, but with MANY speed optimizations!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin
    ps: is it possible to format the code here?
    Nope, actually... Damn forum!

Thanks
    and last problem - is it possible to change rangecoder to output more than one byte a time?
    Not really understand the question.

how can i determine limits on total value imposed by this particular encoder/decoder implementation?
    With QUADs range encoder the max total value is ((1 << 24) - 1).

Thanks
    By the way, PPM, CM, and ARI is my power side!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by encode
    I just implemented a VERY fast arithmetic encoder!
    i guess that it is just the same as in my code above? (using >>=bits instead of /=total)

However, I implemented a bit-oriented encoder, similar as used with LZMA, but with MANY speed optimizations!
    really, i need to encode only one value whic represents either char or match/dist range and has about 1000 possible values

Not really understand the question.
    rangecoder differs from standard arithcoder in that it ouputs one byte a time instead of one bit. i guess that it is possible to output 2-4 bytes at time with limits to total value and/or less encoding precision. but i dont understand aritjhcoding enough to change the coder and calculate new limits on total (btw, how i can calculate that this coder has 2^24 limit?)

Thanks
    i guess that it is just the same as in my code above? (using >>=bits instead of /=total)
    Not really. With a bit-oriented encoding we can completely eliminate many things - for example check out the LZMA or fpaq0 source.

really, i need to encode only one value whic represents either char or match/dist range and has about 1000 possible values
    With large values, you can encode each value bitwise (encode each bit of a large value "separately"). Again, check out the LZMA source or fpaq0 for bit tree coding.

rangecoder differs from standard arithcoder in that it ouputs one byte a time instead of one bit. i guess that it is possible to output 2-4 bytes at time with limits to total value and/or less encoding precision. but i dont understand aritjhcoding enough to change the coder and calculate new limits on total (btw, how i can calculate that this coder has 2^24 limit?)
    The fastest thing is the caryless range coder by Dmitry Subbotin - check for PPMd sources!

AFAIK, the exact MaxFreq depends on given implementation. For example:
    With Shindlers range encoder (as used with QUAD) MaxFreq: 2^24
    With Subbotins caryless range encoder this value is: 2^16
    With some special high-precision coders like CL-D MaxFreq is 2^31.

Anyway, the Shindlers type coder is the most used overall (LZMA uses it too).

Check out the aridemo from compression.ru!

Thanks
    rangecoder differs from standard arithcoder in that it ouputs one byte a time instead of one bit.
    Not really, it performs renormalisation in larger units (bytes) instread of bits and is thus faster.

i guess that it is possible to output 2-4 bytes at time with limits to total value and/or less encoding precision.
    Nope. We can make encoder carryless - at the cost of compression (a few bytes) as Subbotin does. fpaq0 is also carryless, by the way.

Thanks
    The fastest thing is the caryless range coder by Dmitry Subbotin - check for PPMd sources!
    10x! i thought that coder from your sources is carryless, but now i see the difference. i will try it, except for distances there is no things which needs more than 16 bits in my code

i want to know how to determine arithcoder maxfreq from its sources and how to change coder to ouput more than one byte at a time.

With large values, you can encode each value bitwise (encode each bit of a large value "separately").
    and you think that this will be faster than encoding 16 bits at once?

btw, lzpm decompresses in my test two times slower than lzma. are you said that its faster?

Thanks
    Not really, it performs renormalisation in larger units (bytes) instread of bits and is thus faster.
    yes, and i want to know how to do it even in larger units

Thanks
    btw, lzpm decompresses in my test two times slower than lzma. are you said that its faster?
    Im talking about 0.02!!! (Unreleased)

Yepp!

Thanks
    yes, and i want to know how to do it even in larger units
    Again, check the aridemo package from compression.ru!

Thanks
    Quoting: Bulat Ziganshin
    Yepp!
    i cant believe starring at carryfree sources, i count ~20-30 cycles for encoding 16-bit value. are you think that 16 encoding operations for individual bits may be faster?

lets omit shifting operation (which should be the same for both encoders, yes?) and we left with

range *= cnt;

which should require about 10 cycles. how much cycles require encoding of *each* bit in your coder?

in ppmd, binary coder is
    inline UINT rcBinStart(UINT f0,UINT Shift) { return f0*(range >>= Shift); }

i.e. its only two times faster than encoding full 16 bits. and with rcBinCorrect operations, time is about the same. i think that economy is mainly due to less calls to normalizing procedure because we know that code cant overflow

[QUOTE=Bulat Ziganshin
    Yepp![/QUOTE]

i cant believe starring at carryfree sources, i count ~20-30 cycles for encoding 16-bit value. are you think that 16 encoding operations for individual bits may be faster?

lets omit shifting operation (which should be the same for both encoders, yes?) and we left with

range *= cnt;

which should require about 10 cycles. how much cycles require encoding of *each* bit in your coder?

in ppmd, binary coder is

i.e. its only two times faster than encoding full 16 bits. and with rcBinCorrect operations, time is about the same. i think that economy is mainly due to less calls to normalizing procedure because we know that code cant overflow

Yepp![/QUOTE

range *= cnt;

in ppmd, binary coder is

Yepp![/QUOTE

range *= cnt;

in ppmd, binary coder is

<div class=""quoting"">Quoting: encode]<div class=""quoting"">Quoting: encode
    Again, check the aridemo package from compression.ru! ]<div class=""quoting"">Quoting: encode]<div class=""quoting"">Quoting: encode
    Again, check the aridemo package from compression.ru!
    go..

Thanks
    Currently I'm too lazy to explain some details. However, while encoding a large value you must get the cumFreq using binary or linear search.

for (int i = 0; i < s; i++)
    cum += cnt[i];

Using bits you can eliminate such thinks. Yes you must code say 16 bits separetely, however, it is worth it. Check the LZMA decompression speed!

In my coder I eliminate divisions, many things are done via bit shifts. Counters are also completely elininated as with LZMA, instead, I use an array of probabilities and after coding of each bit I directly modify the probability of a next bit.

Anyway, I'm still working. Next version of LZPM 0.02 with the new arithmetic encoder wil be released soon!

I think, you must make a few experiments and choose what will work for you!

Thanks
    the cld coder is exactly what i asked i should compare them all