Thread: Updated PeaZip project: 1.5

Thanks
    Hi, I just released PeaZip 1.5; it was originally intended as a intermediate release of 1.4 series but I collected quite a number of interesting updates and fixes so I decided to call it 1.5.
    I updated PAQ frontend to support new PAQ8L (in Linux versions it's also available the precompiled PAQ8L for x86 Linux) and QUAD frontend, following encode's suggestion about needed fixes and adding support to QUAD 1.09.
    I also fixed a bug in Linux versions GUI of 7z frontend, which puzzled me for a while, and now it's possible to choose fine grained compression options as for Windows version.
    I recompiled PeaZip and Pea executables using latest crc units released by Wolfgang Ehrhardt.
    Last but not least, as many Windows users asked me to include a better icon for archive types I included a new multi-format icon (16,24, 32, 48, plus 256*256 for Windows Vista) which is associated to supported filetypes by PeaZip Windows installer version.
    I hope it may be more appreciated than the previous one (which I still like and use for the executable).
    I'm actually still working on localization, which is scheduled somewhere in next month; probably I'll release language file before to allow good-willing people to help me in translating the application in language I cannot read and write, in order to deploy more language files in time for the release.

Thanks
    Thank you very much!

Thanks
    Thanks Giorgio!

Thanks
    Good work to all of you

Question: can I update to quad 1.10 or do I have to wait for next PeaZip version?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kepler
    Question: can I update to quad 1.10 or do I have to wait for next PeaZip version?
    You CAN update to Quad 1.10. Just replace quad.exe in the "PeaZip/res/quad" folder with the latest version.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kepler
    can I update to quad 1.10 or do I have to wait for next PeaZip version?
    Hi! Sure you can: PeaZip acts as frontend to some different archiving/compression executables (each has its own folder in PeaZip/res path) so as long as the updates of a featured executable keep the same syntax you can simply replace older executables with newer ones.
    As LovePimple said, all you have to do in this case is to copy quad 1.10 executable in PeaZip/res/quad path (it will overwrite 1.09 executable); PeaZip will continue to say to have QUAD 1.09 (since its just a constant string in the program) but when using QUAD you can see in the output messages that you are actually using 1.10.

Thanks
    Ok, Peazip has support for free formats, can run from anywhere, starts up quickly, it's for more than windows, it has a modern look, it's free, it's a brave project, all that is fine!
    Now some quick remarks to the other end.
    1-
    Peazip1.5 starts up with a 'main' window showing some 'About' info.
    After a click, we get to the 'create archive window', which seems to be the real main window.
    Why not go to that window for the real compression business right away?
    (A startup screen similar to Peazip's 'main' window is shown in WinAce, but only once after installation).
    An 'Open Archive' button on the toolbar of the 'create archive window', would be quicker than to have it in the pulldown menu only.
    -2-
    Peazip1.5 has messages with 'hints and announcements' that have to be clicked 'Ok'.
    Such 'click-ok-messages' are not seen in programs like browsers, because they slow down use.
    A solution would be an option to enable or disable -all- messages. Or try to cut back on them.
    -3-
    When Quad is the default format, the hint to choose archive format after selecting input data, to set 'Tar before' switch automatically, doesn't make sense. Quad is already chosen and the switch is not set.
    -4-
    To close the job window after running a job, is an automatic close option possible?
    It doesn't take much time to close a progress window at the end of every job, but why would it have to take up any time? Especially for short jobs. Saving of job-definitions or logs could still be called upon when when a user disables the automatic close.
    -5-
    Pick and choose of individual associations when running setup would be nice. Most people like to have control over that. After installation under windows, it would be even nicer when changes could be made without running setup again.
    -6-
    The bunch of Windows rightclick commands in 1.5 gets mixed up with the 'sendto's' from other programs. Support for a cascaded rightclick contextmenu could be an independant Peazip feature.
    -7-
    In popular archivers, when more than one file is selected, the proposed archive name is the name of the parent folder. Peazip doesn't follow this convention.
    -8-
    If it bothers someone, the rightclick menu does not seem to work under windows98se.
    -9-
    7-Zip options are all visible in 1.5, but in Peazip last settings are not remembered as in 7-zip proper. 7-Zip users will not likely use Peazip when their preference settings are reset to a fixed default option.
    -10-
    The way 7-Zip handles passwords, is preferable to the way Peazip1.5 handles it.
    In 7-Zip there is a radio button to make the password visible, after which you don't have to type the password twice. That saves time.
    WinRAR could take this option from 7-Zip as well, but is still more userfriendly than 7-Zip. That's because the password or phrase can be part of a profile. A good way to not loose time.

Remarks are from a users point of view.

Thanks for your project!

Thanks
    I have a small idea about "HideHintPause". - all hints are too fast disappears.

Thanks
    Thank very much for your suggestions. It's very important to have such kind of feedback to improve program's usability, as I hope to do release after release!
    @Fallon
    I would like to say more about some ponts:
    1) I designed the main panel as a sort of "control panel" of the application's features, to make the user to choose between compression or extraction interface (the two icons in main panel, but I have in mind to add other functionalities like comapring and hash checking of files) and to activate/deactivate the "about" panel with some hints and credits.
    The point of that approach that may seem less dierect than other archivers is that the user should see that panel only opening the application without parameters: otherwise PeaZip will directly access to compression or browsing/extraction interface depending on the objects passed to the application.
    Moreover, the user should use shortcuts as in SendTo menu (which contains a parameter which points to a particular function) in order to directly access extraction or archiving interface, whithout having to deal with main panel, or even to directly perform an action without even having to deal with the GUI.
    4) I did not considered an authomatic option to close job window after finishing since I designed it to allow examining (and possibly saving) job log, which is a feature that I miss when I use other archivers, however the job window will certainly undergo some work in the future and I'm even considering about making a totally silent mode. IMHO console mode however is quite similar of what you are asking, since you will see the job progress and the the console window will close when it's done.
    5) I'm searching examples on how do it, in the installer it works easily but in the IDE some changes are needed to make it work from the application (even if both uses Pascal dialects, however the installer is Windows-specific while the IDE is more geared to multiplatform development).
    6) I used to keep PeaZip shortcuts in a separate folder in SendTo, which was more tidy, but Vista cannot handle subfolders in SendTo (that's a pity!), so I was forced to abandon this solution. Now I'm studying how to use registry to accomplish this and other useful things in other ways, but since now I'm privileging non system specific development I still not have an alternative solution.
    Doh! It seem I'll have to rebuild my Win98 virtual machine to do some tests. I'll try to fix it anyway becouse it's annoying it doesn't work when it should!
    On 2,3,7,9, 10) I'm totally whith you, those are very important details I should nail, and they are on my work schedule.

@encode I know for sure latency and displaying time of hints can be set to custom values but I'm still wondering how to do it through my IDE, they are too fast also from my pint of view!

Again, thank you all for your preciuos feedback, any hint is welcome!