Thread: PIMPLE

Thanks
    Do you plan to continue work on PIMPLE at sometime in the future?

Thanks
    Well, currently the development of PIMPLE program (not engine) is frozen. Than means, the development of PIMPLE engine is still active. The original PIMPLE can be downloaded from here:
    pimple.exe (382 KB) - Installer
    pimple.zip (346 KB) - Zipped version

I have plans to add the modified PIMPLE engine to the PIM archiver!
    So you can choose the compression method:
    Pim 1.0
    Pim 2.0 (Pimple)

PIM already has better EXE/multimedia filters comapred to PIMPLE and these things combined together can break the ground!

Thanks
    Or probably better add the PAQ6 decompression to the PIM...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by encode
    I have plans to add the modified PIMPLE engine to the PIM archiver!
    So you can choose the compression method:
    Pim 1.0
    Pim 2.0 (Pimple)
    I like this idea. I would love to see PIM adopt the PIMPLE engine as a second "super-high" compression method.

sir i like using pimple but right now i use 7-zip but the compression of pimple takes longer but compressor bettor; usaully
    the only thing that pimple is missing is the ability to create sfx's pimple is a single exe thats really small compared to 7-zip so that would be nice when using USB's and also when sending freinds compressed things they proboly have never used pimple so it would be cool to show them this app without even downloading it? just a simple sfx like extract to where and extract and done very simple. If creating SFX is not a big on your lists to do. How big (do you imagine) the header would be?

Thanks
    PIMPLE was removed from my website due to the archive extension issue - i.e. PIMPLE archives have the same file extension as PIM archives - ".PIM"... Probably the solution is to change the PIMPLE archives extension to the ".PMP" to avoid any mismatches.

In addition, here we have some issues with SFX - the GUI SFX module has a comparable size to the fully featured compressor! The command line module can be small, I guess about 30 KB or smaller.

Currently, as I said PIMPLE was discontinued. Some time ago, PIMPLE was released on many CDs with the most popular software magazine in Bulgaria – I guess this make PIMPLE more popular worldwide. Actually, I do not know about how many people use the PIMPLE and should I support this software anymore. If I will receive many requests form PIMPLE's users which want to further PIMPLE improvement, at least I can change the main archive extension to ".PMP", and add the improved EXE-filter and of course make a small homepage.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    sir i like using pimple but right now i use 7-zip but the compression of pimple takes longer but compressor bettor; usaully
    the only thing that pimple is missing is the ability to create sfxs pimple is a single exe thats really small compared to 7-zip so that would be nice when using USBs and also when sending freinds compressed things they proboly have never used pimple so it would be cool to show them this app without even downloading it? (snip)
    PIMPLE has awesome compression. PIM is far superior for archiving purposes. IMO: A merging of the two (with sfx) would produce an excellent archiver that would appeal to both PIM and PIMPLE supporters alike.

I think this would would be the better option for the future!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by encode
    In addition, here we have some issues with SFX - the GUI SFX module has a comparable size to the fully featured compressor!
    I managed to squish PIMPLEs exe to 316,112 bytes (upack 0.399 -c5 -f269 -brute) This is still quite a deal, but maybe the code could be optimized and size further decreased...?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Fox
    This is still quite a deal, but maybe the code could be optimized and size further decreased...?
    I think this code cannot be optimized for size...