Today, I start writing a new engine. It will be something like an improved TC 5.1dev1...dev3. Actually, I write this engine for the new archiver or as a new algorithm for existing PIM. Main features:
+ Fast decompression (faster than TC 5.1dev1)
+ Low memory usage: ~25 MB or less
Anyway, it will be something like a modern Deflate algorithm – fast and memory efficient. In addition, it will have three compression modes:
+ Fast (Greedy Parsing) (TC 5.1dev1 uses such parsing)
+ Normal (Lazy Evaluation) (TC 5.1dev2 and later uses such parsing)
+ Max (Flexible Parsing/Optimal Parsing)
That means TC becomes more LZ than PPM/CM encoder. What about the compression. I will try to maximize it as it possible, but not in cost of the decompression speed. I hope I can get more compression from Optimal Parsing and better LZ layer. In addition, of that, new TC will have the slightly improved Small PPM as with TC 5.1dev1...5.1dev3. As you see, I move backwards to the ROLZ2-like algorithm, instead of ROLZ3. If you ask me, how about the super-compression, I can say, any moves to that runs to the PAQ or PAQ-like engines. Moreover, no reason to re-invent the wheel and write own PAQ-like engine. Now I am looking to the LZ77 coders. For example, look at LZMA – it has high compression and at the same time extremely fast decompression, of course, Deflate is faster but if you look at the compression power... One of the reasons why 7-Zip (LZMA) does so well is the Optimal Parsing. If I adopt something similar to my TC, it will be very nice. As Malcolm Tailor said, his ROLZ2/ROLZ3 is also gets the most power from the Optimal Parsing. So anyways, let's wait and see...