Thread: Non Windows or Linux compressors

Thanks

Non Windows or Linux compressors

Is there any interest in non-windows-mac-linux compressors here.

While most of my code is in C and C++, the system calls are for the Haiku-OS, and I don't know if people are interested here in looking at code that will not compile on their own machines without doing a bit of work on the code first.

If yes, is it best to supply the text code in a zip file.

Thanks
    I imagine that any platform, e.g. Haiku, that can support modern development tools (G++, FPC) is acceptable here, esp. if an .iso is freely available.

Thanks

Differences in OSs

Quote Originally Posted by Rugxulo View Post
    I imagine that any platform, e.g. Haiku, that can support modern development tools (G++, FPC) is acceptable here, esp. if an .iso is freely available.
    I don't know about an .iso (do you mean a bootable CD?) but at present I am writing my code in pure C. My problem is that I have never written for Windows or Linux (My background for micros is assembler for 6502 and 68000 machines. My C code was for the Amiga series and C++ for BeOS and Haiku-OS).

I know enough to know that my code might have assumptions in it that I don't realize exists, I already just discovered a bug in the hashing that probably if others had been looking they could have pointed it out.

The compressor I am working on is intended to be a module inside a ram drive, it's speed is as important as the compression ratio.

Basically, I am concerned that others will not be able to compile or test my code on non-Haiku machine.

Hopefully my posted code will be generic enough for all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger View Post
    Hopefully my posted code will be generic enough for all.
    Post it already )

You use gcc?

Thanks

Code is not ready

I am presently in a in-between stage where the code would be a mess to others. Really, I was just asking if I would be on-topic to post here first to avoid getting flamed.

I see if I can get something readable by the weekend.

Thanks
    Hey Earl, nice to see you here, I only joined to reply to your post.

I wouldn't mind helping you port the code to any OS, I assume just a few ANSI C function calls are probably all you need ( unless you are using your own memory manager or such other thing ).

I have also started working on a lossless compressor in my spare time, with just some pieces of theory on PPM and related techniques... After looking at the PAQ source, I realize I took a rather different direction but it's still working pretty well ( world95.txt at 85% so far ).

Thanks

Assumptions

Ok, I have to rewrite some basic parts of the code. Nothing major, but after adding some code to report on how my code was operating on the test data I found I had made a number of very bad assumptions about the processing.

After making the needed changes I will have to run the same reports to see that the base assumptions match reality.

You guys should realize this is not advance compression, I am just trying to rewrite RLE, LZW, LZO and my own xHole code to be as fast as possible for both compression/decompression. To do that I lose a little in the compression ratio but for my purpose speed is the number one condition to look at.