Thread: Which is the best opensource compression for recompressing mpeg videos ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Question Which is the best opensource compression for recompressing mpeg videos ??

I want your opinion and guidence on recompressing the mpeg videos.
    Which one of the opensource compressorstou think is best for backing up videos?

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

so now we are talking about conversion into another format?
    => only one serious alternative: x264!
    Get yourself xmedia-recode or FormatFactory and have fun Both are freeware, but use opensource programs as backend.
    To be honest, there are a few more very handy tools out in the wild: h264encoder, HandBrake, WinFF, FFconverter,...
    If your are willing to make your bacchelor of converting, take the commandline-prog: x264.nl has the most recent version of x264.exe (version 1318 at this moment)

Best regards!

Edit: If you are talking about packing a movie into an archive, please stop here and move to this topic.

Edit 2: I removed MediaCoder because it claims to be OpenSource but isn't for a few months already.
    Last edited by Vacon; 6th November 2009 at 22:22.

Thanks
    Internet with 10mbit connection i download hd video in one night

Thanks

Two more links.
    The Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer:
    http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
    and the matroska page,
    http://www.matroska.org/index.html
    which has some nice links itself:
    http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

hmmm... S.U.P.E.R. is suspected to install more than the user really wants, but if that's not the case, it's really worth a try! If I remember correctly, it can encode into flv-container with h264-codec.
    Regarding Matroska (mkv): isn't it a container-format? As far as I know it can be filled with various kinds of encoded material, so the size would depend on the input, wouldn't it? If that's true one would still have to find a powerful codec. Hence x264 comes into discussion. There are few codecs that compress equal or more, preserving the same quality (to mention potentionally one: snow). And even less that can be shown by media-players or even hardware.

Edit 2: Having said that about S.U.P.E.R. I just found FormatFactory 2.15 trying to install some toolbars too! Keep your eyes open!

Best regards!
    Last edited by Vacon; 1st November 2009 at 21:06. Reason: Typos (hopefully) fixed and link added. Plus new comment.

Thanks
    For improve compression/quality you have to use Avisynth. I make DVDRip. I compress DVDR in 200-250mb. Nice, no?? I suggest you that you can use "HybridFuPP.avs" filter with Avisynth. Last Avisynth version is 2.60 beta 2.

P.S. My last rip is "star trek" (120minutes) 4,5 Gb >> 250 mb