Page 2 of 106 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: FreeArc

Tester
    Thanks
    Czech translation update Added new translations, fixed one typo and some modifications also in older strings.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Thanks
    thank you, Black Fox! minor problem - in the Tooltips section you've provided direct translations of labels instead of *tooltips* for these lables. for example:

0113 Fast, low-memory decompression=Rychlá, paměťově nenáročná dekomprese
    1113 Fast, low-memory decompression=Rychlá, paměťově nenáročná dekomprese

the first line translates label. the second line shoould provide tooltip for this label

actually, you can add tooltips for any gui elements, just use their numbers+1000. or, if you don't have text for tooltip, just omit its line from translation entirely
    Last edited by Bulat Ziganshin; 31st May 2008 at 19:51.

Thanks
    in the case someone is interested, i've updated Tornado and 4x4:

http://haskell.org/bz/tornado04a.zip
    http://haskell.org/bz/4x4ver02a.zip
    http://haskell.org/bz/tornado-history.txt
    http://haskell.org/bz/4x4-history.txt

Main reason for update was bug found in Tornado Huffman coder - it calls qsort with partial ordering crytery which means that sorting results (and encoding/decoding procedure) was depend on actual qsort implementation. This resulted in incompatibility of data compressed in fast (-2..-4) modes between Linux and Windows and even between various versions of Windows (with different msvcrt.dll where qsort() iimplemented). Now i've fixed the prblem, at the cost of incompatibility with previous program versions

Also i've used this opportunity to add Linux version to Tornado distribution

ps: Of course, this means the same problem with archives created with arc -m1. if you ever saved archives compressed with this setting, it will be good idea to recompress them with -m2 at least:

arc ch archive -m2

now i'm working on updated version of fa, hoping to publish it today

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks Bulat!

Mirror: Download

Thanks
    I've released new alpha version of FreeArc 0.50. Main changes compared to previous alpha version dated May 15:
    • Creation of self-extracting archives with Windows GUI, Windows console and Linux console interfaces
    • Support of RTF files used as comments in GUI self-extractors
    • WinArc: message combobox at the window bottom
    • WinArc: registers icon for .arc files
    • New format of archive comments with ability to read old comments
    • Linux: multithreading for LZMA (1.5x faster compression)
    • Fixed bug in -m1 mode implementation; old archives created in this mode need to be recompressed to -m2 before upgarding to new program version
    You may choose one of 5 bundles to download. The largest one includes Gtk+, so you no more need to install it separately: http://freearc.org/Download.aspx

i'm interested to hear your comments about bundling, download page and like. if you fell it's ok, i will make beta version soon with the same packaging. one particular question is whether you need separate windows console version and if need - how it should be packaged. what you think about portable version - i want to allow to install it by the same installers, just add checkbox that disables adding Start Menu items
    Last edited by Bulat Ziganshin; 5th June 2008 at 13:58.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks Bulat!

Thanks
    Can you please make it also available as a rar/7z archive? i really dislike exe installers Obviously exe installers are ideal though for your average "special" computer user, but i'd like to have the option if at all possible please.

Thanks
    to the best of my knowledge, 7zip can unpack nsis installers, so advanced users should also be lucky. is it acceptable for you?

btw, i've asked above about portbale version. i still gather your opinins - is it better to provide portable version as an option (selected by checkbox) in regular installer, or separate zip archive, or separate sfx archive (that's much smaller than zip)?

Thanks
    Yeah 7z can, but only have that on my test machine and I don't like to clog up my main machine with stuff i don't want or use often(i mainly use RAR/FA0.4) And i think really people shouldn't have to install something else to uncompress it, and you get the bonus of a smaller file size with plain 7z which means less bandwidth costs

Thanks
    what about sfx archive? i'm trying to minimize amount of bundles and this sfx archive will also serve as portable version

Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    is it better to provide portable version as an option (selected by checkbox) in regular installer, or separate zip archive, or separate sfx archive (that's much smaller than zip)?
    I would still doubt the portability if it would be delivered by an installer and would probably prefer zip or sfx archive, but don't know what would common user like...
    Last edited by Black_Fox; 5th June 2008 at 14:23.
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Thanks
    i've added portable version as zip archive to http://freearc.org/Download.aspx

i'm still in doubt about other versions
    Last edited by Bulat Ziganshin; 5th June 2008 at 15:52.

Thanks
    hey Bulat, thank you for your new release (I like the new style )

I think a seperate portable package is OK. I'm still marveling at the speed of your archiver

greez

JangoFat (do not wonder about the new name JangoFatXL - I forgot my password)

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

nominated by me as "Best project" at Sf.net.
    Why FreeArc and not xxx?
    Because it's the real-life implementation of an archiver
    - GUI + cmd-line
    - OS-portable
    - strong compression
    - reasonable times
    - lot of useful features besides
    Who ever want to support my decision (Bulats efforts!):
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/freearc
    who ever wants to nominate another project:
    http://sourceforge.net/community/cca08/

Best regards!

Thanks
    thank you, Vacon. although i think that at this moment fa don't yet have enough user base to have any chances there

Arkanosis updated his French language file for WinArc: http://haskell.org/bz/arc.french.txt

there is one important topic where you can help me: development of tooltips for FreeArc. if you have any ideas of what should be displayed (or corrections to my ones) please write here. ATM we have the following tooltips:

Compression
    1113 Fast, low-memory decompression=Disables use of algorithms having slow or memory-hungry decompression. OTOH using this option makes compression slower and worse
    1176 Filetype auto-detection=When enabled, WinArc analyzes contents of each file and selects optimal compression method for it. When disabled, compression algorithms are selected according to arc.groups

Encryption
    1120 Encrypt archive directory=Encrypts archive meta-information (names, sizes, CRS of files in archive), so one will need to enter password/keyfile even to open archive. It's highly recommended to enable this option to ensure real security of your data
    1123 Keyfile:=Keyfile is just an additional password saved to diskfile, which will be required to open archive. It's highly recommended to use keyfile in order to fully utilize security potential of AES and other algorithms
    1125 Generate new keyfile=Create new keyfile with user-choosen name containing 1 kb of cryptographically-generated random data

Protection
    1185 Protection:=Appends to archive information (by default 1% of archive size), which allows to restore its contents in case of magnetic storage damages or transmission failures

Thanks
    one FreeArc user have constructed FreeArc ditribution which he propose to make a standard: http://forall.ru-board.com/egor23/Fr...-2008-06-03.7z . in particular, it adds themes and gtk2_prefs - theme changer

i'm very interested to hear your opinions - is this bundle is better than existing one?

Thanks
    Hey Bulat ,can you create a FA lib like zlib for use in system distribution on linux?

Maybe in december 2009?

Thanks

Thanks

memory management

Hello Bulat. I'm curious what memory management do you use in FreeArc? Native GHC objects or pinned ForeighPtr or objects in C heap?.. (For blocks of binary data.)
    Last edited by beroal; 8th June 2008 at 21:55.

Thanks
    in fa, compression algorithms are written in C++ and use malloced blocks while the rest is written in Haskell and uses its objects (with exception for data read/written to files which are stored in malloced blocks - both for speed and passing these data to/from compression routines)

>can you create a FA lib like zlib for use in system distribution on linux?

fa includes 11 compression algorithms, may be it's better idea to put these algorithms into dlls? this depends on how you want to use it. current freearc architecture is working with files and can't compress efficiently just stream of data

Thanks
    I have a little problem.

The Freearc 0.50 compressor works great, but I cannot uncompress files and folders normally.

When I select a folder and choose extract. It creates a folder tree, but no files appear. If I choose Test, the GUI disappears and it is running 100% cpu in the background. No problem the test function is broken yet, but if I cannot uncompress, I cannot use the program.

Is there a workaround for this problem? Or is this an unknown problem?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    both extract and test functions work for me

situation you've described looks like archive itself is broken. are you used maximum compression setting and large dataset? i've fixed one bug of this mode two days ago - the fix isn't yet in any public release

try to create small archive and perform the same operations on it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    both extract and test functions work for me

situation you've described looks like archive itself is broken. are you used maximum compression setting and large dataset? i've fixed one bug of this mode two days ago - the fix isn't yet in any public release

try to create small archive and perform the same operations on it
    I only tried the maximum setting. I'm trying to find the best compressor that has usable compression times and your compressor seems like a perfect candidate

Well, if it uncompresses

Do you have any idea when there will be a first beta or even stable version around? I'm a little affraid that, like with paq, every new version is incompatible with the old one.

Thanks
    hmm, that's a strange phenomenon

I cannot approve that bug, FreeArc works perfect for me

(maybe there is some kind of incompatibility with other software on your system?!)

Thanks
    On one of the tests i did with the new June FA using -max(12,761,281 bytes) produced a bigger archive than -mx(12,721,503 bytes), and it was substantially bigger than using -max under FA0.40(4,508,264 bytes).

Command line used is simple: D:\Cmds\FreeArcJune\arc a -max -r -di -di+$ ..\{file}-Junemax *.* >..\{file}-Junemax.log

{file} is just a Directory Opus command which takes the current selected items name and inserts it in the filename.

I have uploaded the .log files incase that is useful to you. If you need me to test anything else just say.

Edit: Forgot to mention this, but at the end(After the All OK message) of the -max log, there is the following:

All OK

Compressing 1242816 bytes with
    Compressing 6415 bytes with
    Compressing 1534148 bytes with

---

Which seems odd?! this isn't present when using -mx but to confirm it does decompress fine.

Edit 2: When checking out a previous archive i've made using -max under 0.40, i notice that FA crashes on decompression using both the latest FA and 0.40. What switches can i use to give you some data if it'd be of any use to you?
    It seems to be before any of the images(PNGs and a few JPEGs) in the archive are decompessed and an ods(OpenOffice spreadsheet), but text, mhts, and a rar archive are fine.
    Last edited by Intrinsic; 9th June 2008 at 18:20.

Thanks
    intermediate freearc update: http://www.haskell.org/bz/arc1.arc
    it fixes two compression problems in -mx mode and provides slightly improved/fixed GUI. there are 5 new strings to localize, it will be great if localization authors will fix it before new version arrives

Fairy, please try to compress your data with this version. 3 users reported that it was fixed their -mx mode problems, i want to ensure that it also works for you

about plans: 0.45 planned to be issued this month. it will be console-mode subset of current 0.50 alpha - i think that its GUI part isn't yet have release quality while improvements in other parts are large enough to release new version

unlike paq, freearc keeps backward compatibility with previous versions. 0.40 is already beta quality release, but ATM i already fixed 3 compression bugs in it, so i recommend to test all archives created with it. it's definitely far from 7zip stability. i plan to add more features and further improve compression so it wll remain rather unstable next monthes. now i think that release, 1.0, may be issued next spring, but these plans are very subjective

Intrinsic, for bug report i need exact set of files compressed, cmdline used to make archive, and other compression programs involved (for -max). you may pack this into one large archive and send me, for example, via this forum's "download area"

Tester
    Thanks
    Hooray, first this time!

New strings and available tooltips have been translated. I have two questions though: "0103 May be" means 'may be' as in 'I allow you to do that' or 'maybe' as in 'hmm, I don't know'? And 'directory' as seen in strings 1120, 0249 should be translated as 'header' or as 'container'?

Thanks
    Translation updated: portuguese_brazil

Please tell me any errors you find.

Thanks

Thanks
    Black_Fox, you've skipped 1185 translation.

> "0103 May be" means 'may be' as in 'I allow you to do that' or 'maybe' as in 'hmm, I don't know'?
    i mean second one, although it's actually not used nor planned to be used - it's just a joke

>And 'directory' as seen in strings 1120, 0249 should be translated as 'header' or as 'container'?
    i mean part of the archive which saves names of files archived, their sizes, compression methods used and so on

lunaris, it's great - 7th full translation of WinArc!

i've added new strings: http://www.haskell.org/bz/arc.portuguese_brazil.txt , look for "??"

you don't updated copyright note (0159), and omitted %1/%2 from translations of 0134-0147

Thanks
    Some errors fixed

Thanks
    thank you, lunaris. two minor things:

0110 Normal=Normal

is it intentional?

0175 Compression profile:=perfil de compressão:
    0179 Encryption profile:=perfil de encriptação

probably these should start with a capital letter as the left part, i.e.

0175 Compression profile:=Perfil de compressão:
    0179 Encryption profile:=Perfil de encriptação

> "0103 May be" means 'may be' as in 'I allow you to do that' or 'maybe' as in 'hmm, I don't know'?
    i mean second one, although it's actually not used nor planned to be used - it's just a joke
    i think that i made wrong answer - actually i mean using it for dialogs like "Delete this file? Yes - No - May be"

Page 2 of 106 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast