Thread: Timer 3.01 bug

Thanks

Timer 3.01 bug

Okay, I'll admit, I haven't tried all the billions of timer utils out there. But I did find it confusing why testing one app wasn't producing the correct results. It seems that Igor's Timer 3.01 looks in the %PATH% before the current dir! Very non-standard, so naive people like me, beware!

Thanks
    That's strange. Are you sure ? I made a little test for it with 3.01 and 8.00. I have latest FreeARC in PATH and some old one in D:\Test3 folder. First I started Timer Arc with Timer presented in D:\Test3 folder and then with Timer being copied to SYSTEM32 folder. In both cases it started the ARC from current dir, not from the PATH.
    I'm also looked into the Timer 3.01 and 8.00 in HEX and found nothing related to PATH. Same for the v8.00 source code.
    Last edited by Skymmer; 27th May 2009 at 10:16.

Thanks
    Yep, timer runs a program from PATH. Say I have bcm.exe in C:\WINDOWS, and my current path at console is ...\bcm\Release\ with bcm.exe. Running timer will execute the BCM copy that placed at C:\WINDOWS not at the current location. Not sure that it is a bug...

Thanks
    I don't know what happens with my or your system but I just repeated encode's scenario and file from current directory had a higher priority for me. I even tried to execute timer from current dir or from dir added to %PATH% and tried 3.01 and 8.00 - same situation. But I'm happy with it

Thanks
    Try to place timer.exe to C:\WINDOWS

Tester
    Thanks
    Isn't it just Windows' default behaviour when running an application, that it looks into folders this way? Why would Igor bother redefining it?
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Fox View Post
    Isn't it just Windows' default behaviour when running an application, that it looks into folders this way? Why would Igor bother redefining it?
    I don't know which APIs have what styles, but it's not the traditional DOS way of doing things, at least.

Tester
    Thanks
    In case anyone is still interested, I found this during an totally irrelevant search, even though it's about DLLs, it can be somewhat useful:
    http://weblogs.asp.net/pwilson/archi...6/24/9214.aspx
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates