View Poll Results: Should I continue to release experimental PAQ8xxx SSE2 builds?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 85.71%
  • No

2 14.29%

Thread: PAQ8xxx SSE2 builds

Thanks

Exclamation PAQ8xxx SSE2 builds

A question for PAQ fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Berger
    @LovePimple
    you shouldn't continue providing these SSE2 (SEE builds) in my opinion. They are the fastest but they aren't really much faster then your speed optimized builds.
    Also for paq8q I got many crashes with them while the other builds (and own builds) worked fine.
    http://encode.su/forum/showthread.php?p=7169#post7169

As some members seem to prefer the experimental SSE2 builds, I think it only fair to put this one to the vote. Do you think I should continue to release experimental PAQ8xxx SSE2 builds. Yes, or No?

Thanks
    What's wrong with just including them along with the original two? I mean, that's not a substitution, is it? If someone considers it unstable - well, don't use it then, what's the matter?..

Thanks
    Although I always prefer the author builds as the original, but you may freely do what you want and provide an extra compiles. I highly recommend to use Intel C compiler with some additional and proper hand tuning, including Profile Guided Optimization.

Thanks

Thumbs up

i think of course continue - if you have the time
    i think - it is wonderful to have such optimization

please keep it running

but the sse2 - build does not work for me
    on my notebook with core 2 duo (under windows vista sp1)
    the sse - build works without problem

how we can found the difference/solve the problem?

may be we need a simple test program to test - sse2 works or not

then we can make a table

processor, which the user have and the test result "work"/"not work"

i am not an expert in this field but:
    why sse2 and why not sse3 or sse4?

"it seems that amd has problems with several sse2-extension
    but some sse3-extension works on the other side"

there are some may be familar problems
    with some adobe cs software products ..

best regards

Thanks
    I am going to explain my arguments:

- Better get speed out of the algorithm instead of compilers. Other programs also doesn't have those heavy builds.

- The speed optimized build is still very good and ahead of most other builds I did and saw.

- For developers it's hard if they heard of crashes and doesn't know if they are because of a bug or the unstable SSE2 build.

I won't vote and sure they could continue but then please with an unstable prefix as long as they aren't stable. Personally I also normally would use the fastest possible version and used this build too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Berger View Post
    I am going to explain my arguments:

- Better get speed out of the algorithm instead of compilers. Other programs also doesn't have those heavy builds.
    Agree, better speed out of the algorithm would be a very good thing, but why use "better speed algo" OR "better speed compiler" ?
    I'd choose for both :"better speed algo" AND "better speed compiler"
    - The speed optimized build is still very good and ahead of most other builds I did and saw.
    SSE2 in still almost 10% faster than the "optimized" on my E6600 !!
    (see my tests in the paq8q2 thread)
    - For developers it's hard if they heard of crashes and doesn't know if they are because of a bug or the unstable SSE2 build.
    I won't vote and sure they could continue but then please with an unstable prefix as long as they aren't stable.
    IIRC, LP has already labeled the SSE(2) builds as "experimental", including a warning that "if they don't run on your system, then use the normal or optimized versions".
    Does really need to do even more in your opinion ?

Thanks
    I use them (not that i really like using PAQ that much beyond testing, way too slow even on my beast of a system) the main thing is that they are 100% compatible between all compile types, but as noted: It has been reported that archives created with SSE2 builds may sometimes be incompatible with archives created by the MMX versions (noted by Rugxulo, Mar. 9, 2009)...is an issue.
    If that is unobtainable then beyond experimenting at this time not totally viable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrinsic View Post
    I use them (not that i really like using PAQ that much beyond testing, way too slow even on my beast of a system) the main thing is that they are 100% compatible between all compile types, but as noted: It has been reported that archives created with SSE2 builds may sometimes be incompatible with archives created by the MMX versions (noted by Rugxulo, Mar. 9, 2009)...is an issue.
    If that is unobtainable then beyond experimenting at this time not totally viable.
    I'll be honest, I never tested LovePimple's SSE2 builds, so who knows if they work well for me (AMD64x2). But anyways, the problem I reported in e-mail to Matt was regarding Dark Shikari's SSE2 version, not the original one. In other words, the output of paq8o8z using SSE2, MMX, and NOASM is identical under all the machines I've tested.

EDIT: Does LovePimple use Intel's compiler? It may just be more bugs in their work, trying to get the best performance, maybe still isn't tested for AMD machines, who knows.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info Rugxulo!

Maybe archive compatibility is not such an issue for the SSE2 builds after all.

Thanks
    BTW, LovePimple, you heard that Geocities is disappearing this summer, right? Kinda sad, but not a huge surprise. A list of possible alternatives is here.

Thanks
    I didn't know. Thanks for the info, and the list of alternatives.

My site is now at http://lovepimple.110mb.com/

Thanks

Google Pages closing down

BTW, Google Pages is also being closed down.

Google will be killing off its web site creation and hosting service, Google Pages, in a few months. Users who have Google Pages accounts will automatically have their data migrated to Google Sites unless they opt out. But while Google Sites lets you put together quick and easy web pages, it's more of a service for creating and sharing Wikis than a full fledged web page creation service.
    Google Pages closing down

http://pages.google.com/