Thread: tensorflow-compress

Thanks

tensorflow-compress

I have released a new open source compression program: https://github.com/byronknoll/tensorflow-compress

It performs compression using LSTM and can run on GPUs. It is made using Colab, so can be run through a web browser. The v1 results are not very impressive, but I am planning to continue working on performance and compression rate improvements.

2. Thanks (7):

Bulat Ziganshin (23rd July 2020),comp1 (23rd July 2020),Cyan (29th July 2020),Darek (22nd July 2020),Hakan Abbas (22nd July 2020),Mauro Vezzosi (27th July 2020),schnaader (22nd July 2020)

Thanks
    Have noticed that test results were placed to LTCB
    http://mattmahoney.net/dc/text.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by byronknoll View Post
    It performs compression using LSTM and can run on GPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelwien View Post
    Yet another problem is about GPU data errors. Like, did you ever see random glitches on screen in games?
    Electronics are not 100% safe actually, there's simply a low enough error margin, like 10^-20 or so.
    Which is why there's ECC memory for servers, for example.
    But with enough load and processed data errors are bound to appear.
    And while in games it would be just harmless rendering glitches, in compression it would usually break
    all the data after the point of error.
    Is it safe to use GPU?
    I never tested NN GPUs libraries because I supposed was unsafe for online learning.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauro Vezzosi View Post
    Is it safe to use GPU?
    I never tested NN GPUs libraries because I supposed was unsafe for online learning.
    I think so? From my testing so far I have never seen any files fail validation after decompression. I used this page to get some advice on GPU determinism: https://github.com/NVIDIA/framework-determinism

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauro Vezzosi View Post
    Is it safe to use GPU?
    Nothing is guaranteed with enough scale.

This is why there can be block-based compression with checksums and retries for decompression. When compression is unsafe, then decompressing and checking for checksum immediately after compression is an option.

Thanks
    http://mattmahoney.net/dc/text.html#1639
    tensorflow compress v2 is released and at 5th position
    it is great!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki Alakuijala View Post
    Nothing is guaranteed with enough scale.

This is why there can be block-based compression with checksums and retries for decompression. When compression is unsafe, then decompressing and checking for checksum immediately after compression is an option.
    True. Using a GPU for everything would be unsafe without error correction or checksums. But maybe the CPU can generate an interrupt for checksum after block equivalents are emitted from the GPU instead to fix that?

It wouldn't be entirely GPU based anymore, but would be safe enough to where the margin for error becomes negligible and the speed advantage is still at least 50% to 75% there with the routine checks for safety and data integrity.

I was going to suggest a second GPU to do these checksums but that would be overkill. Any CPU should be able to handle the task reasonably to review a CRC block and make sure it is correct before saving it to disk.

It may even be possible to multithread several GPUs this way if it is successful and safe, and then the CPU can handle and process additional checksums easily (since that would be it's task and not other major instructions) to where multiple outputs from a second or third GPU working in parallel to it could be safely evaluated and increase compression times drastically for larger data. That would make up for any speed hit between the CPU and GPU for safety and sanity checks, and then some, since the additional GPU would cover for the latency of the first if more than one is used at the same time on a data stream.

Might be best to test it out with 1 GPU to see how well it works, then 2 or more later if the approach this way is successful. What do you think?

Thanks
    can someone share binary of tensorflow or deepzip?