Thread: TurboPFor Library usage

Thanks

TurboPFor Library usage

Newbie here. I have been looking to use TurboPFor and similar libraries for compression of floating point data. I'm not an expert by any means, so I would really appreciate detailed help with implementation. I got a pretty good start from browsing other posts on the forum, but I am getting stuck in my implementation.

The data is from a text file, so I wrote a parser that searches the text file and saves the values into a vector of floats. It does this by scanning each line and pushing back the value onto the vector. Is this the best way to format my data for the compressor? If not, how should I store them, and how would my implementation have to change?

I ran the icapp benchmark with 32 bit and TXT file flags, and it pointed me to p4nzzenc128v32 being the best encoder for compression ratio. How would I add code to my parser to just run this encoder(and the decoder)? I know that I would have to include the fp.h header file, but I am lost as far as what code to include for the p4nzzenc128v32 method implementation.

Thank you for any help!!

Baker

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 745 Posts
    There was a similar thread: https://encode.su/threads/3429-Turbo...sion-questions

> I have been looking to use TurboPFor and similar libraries for compression
    > of floating point data. I'm not an expert by any means, so I would really
    > appreciate detailed help with implementation.

I think you're supposed to contact the author (powturbo@gmail.com or via github issues).

> Is this the best way to format my data for the compressor?

Probably not, if you need high speed; whatever works otherwise.

> If not, how should I store them, and how would my implementation have to change?

For high speed you'd need a low-level implementation - standard library is too slow.

> How would I add code to my parser to just run this encoder(and the decoder)?
    > I know that I would have to include the fp.h header file,
    > but I am lost as far as what code to include for the p4nzzenc128v32 method implementation.

On source side just fp.h should be ok - it contains definitions of simple memory-to-memory functions,
    you can just pass myvector.data() to it or something.
    Otherwise, I think you can build icapp, then add all *.o except icapp.o to your project?
    Or you can track the dependencies manually, by including .o files which contain
    functions requested in linker errors, starting with fp.o.

Thanks
    Thank you for your help! I have one issue with my implementation that I am running into. When calling a floating point compressor(like the ones listed in fp.h) it asks for a uint32_t pointer as the input(here's a snippet of fp.h):

// ---------- TurboPFor Zigzag of delta (=delta of delta + zigzag encoding) (TurboPFor)
    size_t p4nzzenc128v32( uint32_t *in, size_t n, unsigned char *out, uint32_t start);
    size_t p4nzzdec128v32( unsigned char *in, size_t n, uint32_t *out, uint32_t start);

//----------- Zigzag (bit/io) -------------------------------------------------------
    size_t bvzenc32( uint32_t *in, size_t n, unsigned char *out, uint32_t start);
    size_t bvzdec32( unsigned char *in, size_t n, uint32_t *out, uint32_t start);

//----------- Zigzag of delta (bit/io) ---------------------------------------------
    size_t bvzzenc32( uint32_t *in, size_t n, unsigned char *out, uint32_t start);
    size_t bvzzdec32( unsigned char *in, size_t n, uint32_t *out, uint32_t start);

To get this uint32_t pointer, I am currently using memcpy to reinterpret my floats as uint32_t and point to them. However, while this does work for running the compressor and getting my input back when compressing and decompressing, the compression ratios are awful(greater than 1). I'm guessing this means I am creating my uint32_t pointer incorrectly. How else should I do it?

I also tried premultiplying my floats by 10^6 to create uint32_t's, and while this did work better, it seems like it shouldn't be necessary since TurboPFor explicitly advertises floating point compression. Is there something that I am missing?

I posted a snippet of my code below. I'm sure there are plenty of errors in it(I'm not the most experienced), but maybe it will help with answering my question. The code opens a binary file f, and writes the compressed version to w, and after decoding rewrites the original to h so that I can check that the compression/decompression had no unintended effects.

else {

FILE* f = fopen( argv[2], "rb" ); if( f==0 ) return 2;
    fseek(f, 0, SEEK_END);
    int n = ftell(f);
    rewind(f);

FILE* w = fopen( argv[3], "wb" ); if( w==0 ) return 2;
    FILE* h = fopen( argv[4], "wb" ); if( h==0 ) return 2;

unsigned char *out;
    uint32_t * in, *cpy;

in = (uint32_t*)malloc((n + 1024*1024));
    out = (unsigned char*)malloc(n+1024*1024);
    cpy = (uint32_t*)malloc(n+1024*1024);
    uint32_t * checker = cpy;
    if (in == NULL or out == NULL or cpy == NULL) {
    printf("Memory not allocated.\n");
    exit(0);
    }
    size_t numEl = 0;

float a;
    int i=0;
    while(1) {
    if( fread( &a, sizeof(float),1, f )!=1 ) break;
    memcpy(&in[i], &a, 4);
    numEl++;
    }

size_t newEl = p4ndenc128v32(in, n/4, out);
    float ratio = (float)newEl/numEl;
    fwrite(&n, sizeof(float),1, w);
    fwrite(out,sizeof(float),newEl,w);

//size_t p4nzzdec128v32( unsigned char *in, size_t n, uint32_t *out, uint32_t start);
    size_t finalSize = p4nddec128v32(out, n/4, cpy);

float b;
    for (int j=0; j<n/4; j++){
    memcpy(&b,&cpy[j], 4);
    fwrite(&b,1, sizeof(float),h);

}

Thanks
    Seems to work like this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Oh wow I was being pretty dumb. I didn't realize that you could just create byte pointers and cast them later. Thank you for your help!!

Thanks
    Just as a quick followup, I think there might be a small error in how you size the out bytestream. The size of it seems to be based on the read binary file, even in decoding. So, I think it is possible for it to size the out stream too small and result in a segfault. This happened for me when using the p4nzzenc128v32 compressor(it had a compression ratio of around 4% since I had data where delta encoding was very effective).

To fix this, I just initialized the byte stream, and declared its size later based of f_len*4 for the encoding and n*4 for the decoding.

It is also very possible I was doing something incorrectly, but I just wanted to let you know what I found!

Thanks
    Sure, I just did that before finding out that I have to write the number of floats to compressed file.