Thread: What Happend if someone came up with a Random Compression Engine?

Thanks

Question What Happend if someone came up with a Random Compression Engine?

Hey Geeks,
    we know that Random Compression is impossible because Mathmetics already prove this thing.. but however lets take this as a science fiction that someone came up with a Compression Engine that Compress Random Data with recursive functionality, then what happend next? i mean Big Big corporation like ibm,google,microsfot e.t.c what they do? will they sue the author who discover the engine? or they used the engine to reeduce their database cost or other thing like streaming e.t.c ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 740 Posts
    There'd be nothing special.
    Even if there was a way to compress any file to a 128-bit hash (like, based on a time machine), it would only matter if its faster than internet.
    Actually even as it is, there's a lot of known redundancy in stored and transmitted content, since its compressed with inefficient methods (deflate etc),
    or isn't compressed at all. We could save maybe 30% of all traffic and storage if there was a strict enforcement of best compression everywhere.

And even with a random compression method which is both fast, cheap and reliable, it still won't affect the corporations you mentioned.
    Sure, some storage companies may go bankrupt (WD, Seagate etc), but for google and microsoft... it would just allow to save some money on storage.

Thanks
    thanks Shelwien for your comment, and your kind information i didnt mean that those company will be affect something for that compression engine, i just mean that will they sue for the invention? i saw that already big corporation patent for random compression or recursive compression thats why i ask will they sue the author who invent that thing?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by randomthing View Post
    i saw that already big corporation patent for random compression or recursive compression
    No "inventor" can patent a thing that was not invented. In the patent application you need to describe how your invention works. And since there is no such invention, they cannot describe it, and so they cannot patent is.
    i saw
    Hmmm... where did you see?
    will they sue the author who invent that thing
    My conclusion: no, they can't sue you.

Thanks
    thanks Shelwien for your comment, and your kind information i didnt mean that those company will be affect something for that compression engine, i just mean that will they sue for the invention? i saw that already big corporation patent for random compression or recursive compression thats why i ask will they sue the author who invent that thing?
    Unless they really got one, tech giants like Google, Microsoft, Facebook etc. should buy any breakthrough (fast) data compression algorithm that comes along, like with 90% to 98% compression ratio.
    Last edited by compgt; 14th July 2020 at 11:01.