Thread: rANS light (or tANS)

Thanks

rANS light (or tANS)

Ahoy. I read that rANS has a processing overhead comparable to Huffman. Is this accurate? Is there an implementation as light as something like SLZ is with gzip? This would be less than 1 MB of RAM and maybe 1% or something of CPU running at line rate on a 10 GbE network connection. Does Zstd have a mode that is super light like this?

If this doesn't exist, could it exist, in theory? Zstd apparently goes much faster with a dictionary, and I wonder if it would be possible to build some sort of super fast and super lightweight ANS implementation that uses a dictionary tailored for small data payloads. That would be sweet. Benchmarks usually don't report the CPU and memory overhead, which is frustrating. I also wonder if GLZA can run super light.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 741 Posts
    > I read that rANS has a processing overhead comparable to Huffman.

rANS is an equivalent of arithmetic coding.
    It requires multiplications, so has to be slower than Huffman coding.

tANS processing (actual coding steps) are equivalent to huffman,
    but lookup-tables are larger and their generation is more complex.

> Is there an implementation as light as something like SLZ is with gzip?

You can test zstd --fast modes.

> Does Zstd have a mode that is super light like this?

In terms of encoding speed and memory usage, yes.
    I don't know whether there's an implementation with static tables for entropy coding (like SLZ),
    but that's possible too.

> I wonder if it would be possible to build some sort of super fast and super
    > lightweight ANS implementation that uses a dictionary tailored for small
    > data payloads. That would be sweet.

You don't need zstd for your case. Just write a simple custom solution.

> Benchmarks usually don't report the CPU and memory overhead, which is frustrating.

For LZ this information is unnecessary - CPU usage should be normally 100% and you
    can just look at coding speed. And memory usage depends on parameters
    (windows size, hashtable size, matchfinder type etc) which can be manually controlled
    to work with almost any given amount of memory.

But you can try to use this utility for memory usage checks: http://nishi.dreamhosters.com/u/memchk_v0.rar
    (PeakWorkingSetSize is the maximal volume of memory used during the test;
    keep in mind that this value takes the whole executable footprint into account,
    so minimum is around 2.5MB).

You can control zstd memory usage with "secret" options like "--zstd=wlog=15".

> I also wonder if GLZA can run super light.

Its called "LZW" in that case.
    GLZA benefits come from its dictionary generation algorithm, but its also very slow.

Thanks
    I've been confused by static Huffman since seeing the HPACK spec. There they have a predefined Huffman tree, like the characters 0 1 2 a e i o u s t are all five bits and so forth. Does static Huffman normally mean something else, like one custom tree for the whole payload?

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7541.html#appendix-B

What do you mean by the 100% CPU? Do you mean for a production server running a bunch of stuff it should use all available CPU?

Thanks
    Surprisingly, currently the fastest available for CPU is rANS: ~1500MB/s/core decoding: https://github.com/jkbonfield/rans_static vs ~500 for tANS.
    This amazing speed is thanks to using SIMD ... but requires 32 independent streams.
    Splitting data into independent parts, like H.265 into slices, is usually at cost of compression ratio.
    For LZ77 we can e.g. prepare a common dictionary, and expand it independently for each "slice".

However, there is practically no penalty for simple models like i.i.d., Markov ... like used for entropy coders in zstd-like compressors.
    Zstd uses (4) static probability distributions per frame - we could accumulate multiple such entropy coding tasks and encode/decode them simultaneously exploiting the speedup.
    ... ok, James' implementation rather uses the same probability distribution for all 32 independent streams - the question is speed penalty for using separate distributions?

Also, James has super-fast o1 Markov, which might be worth to consider for improving compression ratio of zstd ... ?
    The biggest problem here is size of such models (to be stored in the header) - it would need some work, but should allow for significant improvement of compression ratio.
    Last edited by Jarek; 23rd June 2020 at 09:48.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 741 Posts
    > Does static Huffman normally mean something else, like one custom tree for the whole payload?

Normally "static coder" is used in a sense of "static vs adaptive": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adapti...#Static_method
    Whether it uses relevant statistics or not is less important.

> What do you mean by the 100% CPU?

Well, I guess I don't understand what _you_ mean by "CPU overhead".
    Speed is usually reported in benchmarks.
    But if you have a codec with 500MB/s encoding speed writing to 100MB/s storage,
    you'd end with 100MB/s overall speed and 20% CPU load. I thought you meant that.

Thanks
    Not rANS but a rABS decoder on a 6502 8-bit CPU (~1MHz) with 64KB RAM:
    https://yupferris.github.io/blog/201...S-on-6502.html
    The author also talks about it (more a how-to video) here:
    https://youtu.be/-lJDJgBaOAw

7. Thanks (4):

Cyan (23rd June 2020),introspec (23rd June 2020),JamesB (3rd July 2020),Jarek (23rd June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanks, I didn't know about it. Pascal Massimino (skal) has made tests for binary alphabets and uABS turned out a bit better than rABS: lower redundancy, more uniform decoding speed:
    https://encode.su/threads/1821-Asyme...l-System/page8
    decoders:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3sGBgPY.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	574.0 KB 
ID:	7708

9. Thanks:

Lucas (30th June 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek View Post
    Surprisingly, currently the fastest available for CPU is rANS: ~1500MB/s/core decoding: https://github.com/jkbonfield/rans_static vs ~500 for tANS.
    This amazing speed is thanks to using SIMD ... but requires 32 independent streams.
    Splitting data into independent parts, like H.265 into slices, is usually at cost of compression ratio.
    For LZ77 we can e.g. prepare a common dictionary, and expand it independently for each "slice".

However, there is practically no penalty for simple models like i.i.d., Markov ... like used for entropy coders in zstd-like compressors.
    Zstd uses (4) static probability distributions per frame - we could accumulate multiple such entropy coding tasks and encode/decode them simultaneously exploiting the speedup.
    ... ok, James' implementation rather uses the same probability distribution for all 32 independent streams - the question is speed penalty for using separate distributions?

Also, James has super-fast o1 Markov, which might be worth to consider for improving compression ratio of zstd ... ?
    The biggest problem here is size of such models (to be stored in the header) - it would need some work, but should allow for significant improvement of compression ratio.
    For what it's worth I reckon tANS ought to be faster still than rANS, but I'm not aware of anyone going to such extreme SIMD levels. I only did static rANS because I understood it and kind of stuck with it. A lame reason really!

Thanks
    tANS requires memory lookups which is 2 loads/cycle in the best case (on intel cpus). so probably you can't beat SIMD rANS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    tANS requires memory lookups which is 2 loads/cycle in the best case (on intel cpus). so probably you can't beat SIMD rANS
    Should SIMD rANS always beat SIMD AC?

Thanks
    In https://sites.google.com/site/powturbo/entropy-coder the fastest rANS has ~600/1500 MB/s/core enc/dec ... AC 33/22 MB/s/core.
    But in https://github.com/jkbonfield/rans_static there is faster AC: 240/150 MB/s/core.

Generally ANS is much more convenient for vectorization due to state being single number, in AC one needs to process two numbers ... might be doable, but I haven't seen it.

Another story is SIMD 4bit adaptive rANS - started in LZNA, simultaneously updates 16 probabilities, and compares with all CDFs to find the proper subrange.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidComp View Post
    This would be less than 1 MB of RAM and maybe 1% or something of CPU running at line rate on a 10 GbE network connection.
    Entropy codings tend to be less than 10 gbit/s on software. If you have a 10 GbE network connection 4 : 1 compression, you need 400 % of CPU to fill the 10 gbits network. 1 % is about 3 orders of magnitude off.

It might be possible to be done with relatively simple hardware.

Still, you'd be using more than 10 % of the memory bus for storing the decompressed data.

​So, no, it is not possible with 1 %.

Thanks
    How did you get the 400% CPU figure? How does network bitrate convert to CPU utilization percentage?