Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GDC Competition: Discussions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 759 Posts
    @lz77: There's also 2nd place prize ($1k).
    And you get to add the corresponding line to CV/resume and maybe find some job offers.

Also for the competition itself its better if more people participate -
    depending on results it could be made permanent, like Hutter Prize.

Thanks
    @MS1

Can we use Huge pages for our submissions? I have created a submission the performance of which heavily depends on Huge pages, 8sec vs 13sec. Normally the kernel does it automatically using Transparent Huge Pages, but there is no guarantee. After a fresh reboot with a lot of free memory, Transparent Huge Pages work well, but after memory gets fragmented or filled up, the kernel cant use Transparent Huge Pages.

Using Normal Huge pages can guarantee the use of 2MB pages but needs some simple extra commands (for Linux).

Code:
    echo 512 | sudo tee /sys/kernel/mm/hugepages/hugepages-2048kB/nr_hugepages # allocate 512 * 2MB
    time ./app options # run submission
    echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/kernel/mm/hugepages/hugepages-2048kB/nr_hugepages # release memory
    So i ask If we can ask for a certain amount of Huge pages for each submission, such that compression speed will be consistent.

Thanks
    @maxim, why does my compressor (Bali v0.1) not add to gdcc leaderboards ? Is there something wrong about it ?

Thanks
    Site changed, more difficult to read and requires registration to download open test data.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by algorithm View Post
    Site changed, more difficult to read and requires registration to download open test data.
    Hhmmm as I predict before, this competition is strange. My advice is do not enter this competition because it waste your time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by suryakandau@yahoo.co.id View Post
    @maxim, why does my compressor (Bali v0.1) not add to gdcc leaderboards ? Is there something wrong about it ?
    Because your submissions are regarded as suspicious considering the history of license abuse, etc. It takes time to check what is inside since we don't ask for source codes. If we find that the submission meets the rules, it will be allowed to enter the competition.

Thanks
    The official position is that it's easier now and may help to attract more participants. My opinion is different, that's all I can say.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms1 View Post
    The official position is that it's easier now and may help to attract more participants. My opinion is different, that's all I can say.
    @maxim I have submitted myfl,BMX and Bali file compressor. Why there is no one of them listed in gdcc leaderboards ? I think it is good that every compressor submitted by participants listed in leaderboards so participant can know in which position their compressor in leaderboards like LTCB or LPCB.

Thanks
    Which timer is used when testing programs? timer.exe by Igor Pavlov? What time is measured: User Time, Process Time or Global Time? Can I download this timer?

I did one feature to increase ratio (on 840 Kb), but it increased both the compression and decompression time (ctime+2*dtime > on 0.9 sec.)... So I think: do I need this feature?

Procrustean bed of Rapid Compression doesn't allow working normally...

Thanks
    Because your submissions are regarded as suspicious considering the history of license abuse, etc. It takes time to check what is inside since we don't ask for source codes. If we find that the submission meets the rules, it will be allowed to enter the competition.
    @maxim does Bali file compressor meet the gdcc rule ? Thank you

Thanks
    Results got updated in the site. pglz is a new leader in many categories.

Thanks
    @maxim, does Bali v0.1 compressor meet the gdcc rules ? Thank you

Thanks

@ms1 have you finished check Bali file compressor ? Does it meet gdcc rules ? Thanx for your response

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by suryakandau@yahoo.co.id View Post
    @ms1 have you finished check Bali file compressor ? Does it meet gdcc rules ?
    If you really want publicity...
    Your submission "Bali" is a replica of bcm. For a big enough test set the total difference between Bali and bcm is less than 0.2% for the total compressed size. The maximum difference for a single file is within 0.6%, usually much less (didn't compute the median, but I daresay 0.1% at best). If this is not a replica, then I don't know what may it be, excluding an insight from noosphere or something like that. And you are not a contributor to bcm.
    Considering the past activity, this is really enough for global disqualification.

We could not classify myfl and BMX. They may be something original, may be not. Apparently, we have the assumption that they are not. For the time being, I am not ready to see the results for myfl, BMX and your other submissions in the leaderboards. Later this month I plan to run tests for more open-source compressors to have more data for decisions in such unpleasant situations. Actually, so far we have such confirmed problems with your submissions only.

Hopefully, the situation and our position on this are clear to anybody interested since I really do not want to attract attention to such, well, accidents.

Thanks
    Results got updated in the site. pglz is a new leader in many categories.
    Updated twice, actually. There is some activity in the block compression test at last.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lz77 View Post
    Which timer is used when testing programs? timer.exe by Igor Pavlov? What time is measured: User Time, Process Time or Global Time? Can I download this timer?
    Compressors are executed from our testbench. It should be global time.

I did one feature to increase ratio (on 840 Kb), but it increased both the compression and decompression time (ctime+2*dtime > on 0.9 sec.)... So I think: do I need this feature?
    Probably not, but, well, there is enough time and attempts to check it on the actual test hardware.

Thanks
    Test 1 text HCR
    1 mcm 0.84 -x11 504 477 981 184,532,057
    2 PPMonstr 1290 1294 2584 191,444,956

Test 2 images HCR
    1 EMMA 852 876 1728 383,369,222
    2 bmf 2.01 -S 851 735 1586 386,901,589

Test 3 mixed data HCR
    1 PPMonstr 1965 1968 3933 106,587,129
    2 PPMonstr var. J, feb 16 2006 -m1271 -o16 -r1 1162 1168 2330 118,674,642

Dmitry Shkarin just recompiled old source files. All this is like 15-20 years old. C'mon guys...

Thanks
    Please add to "Test 1, text. Rapid. Open part" result for pglz.

Thanks
    Please add to "Test 1, text. Rapid. Open part" result for pglz.
    "Open part" tables are for reference statistics gathered for publicly available compressors.

Thanks
    On Nov 3rd I started with a compressor implementation from scratch (but with preexisting ideas of mine), trying to learn some techs. Results don't look too bad, so I'm finalizing it now.

Edit: This will be a block compressor for the rapid category, tailored a bit to the task.
    Last edited by Dresdenboy; 19th November 2020 at 20:35.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenboy View Post
    This will be a block compressor for the rapid category, tailored a bit to the task.
    A-a-a... What is the ratio?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenboy View Post
    Edit: This will be a block compressor for the rapid category, tailored a bit to the task.
    Well, welcome. The rapid category of the block test is a bit neglected, so, in term of strategy, this is a wise choice. But I may say that sending a submission on the last day requires some guts, especially for the library test. I recommend sending something ASAP in order to check that the library works correctly.

Thanks
    A-a-a... What is the ratio?
    I hope somebody of you guys will beat the reference lib (Zstd). After all, the block test is the most data-dependent and you know 40% of data.

Thanks
    I hope somebody of you guys will beat the reference lib (Zstd). After all, the block test is the most data-dependent and you know 40% of data.
    Unfortunately not enough time to do that... At Nov 18 I saw that in rapid block test the competition is weak, and Now 19 I start with rapid block test. At this moment I'm finishing these dlls...

May be Nov 20 afternoon I will beat zstd...
    Last edited by lz77; 22nd November 2020 at 14:48.

Thanks
    Did you received my submission??
    Yes, received. We collect emails from several mailboxes, so, hopefully, everything is delivered eventually, but it makes sense to double-check if no confirmation for a long time.

Thanks
    Unfortunately not enough time to do that... At Nov 18 I saw that in rapid block test the competition is weak, and Now 19 I start with rapid block test. At this moment I'm finishing these dlls...

May be Nov 20 in the afternoon I will beat zstd...
    Did you manage to finish something? It didn't look that hard to beat the current contenders. My from scratch implementation with hash based LZ77 and some form of my own ANS lands at ~126*10^6 bytes in 6 s for the open part without much tuning and throwing out some more complex ideas. But I would have had to do full testing of the DLL interface and some debugging of the decompressor.

I had to give up due to the last weeks already being full with work, family demands, and other energy consuming tasks. But at least the temporal motivation brought me forward quite a bit!

27. Thanks:

schnaader (21st November 2020)

Thanks
    On November 18, I accidentally saw that in the test 4, blocks rapid results are weak. Therefore, on November 19, day and night, I adapted my simple lz type example written in the old (from year 2002) Delphi 7 for this test and sent it out at 5 am. It should compress block40.dat on the test PC to 146.4 mill. bytes for ~3.3 sec. (global time), and decompress it for ~1.25 sec. But testing staff emailed me that my compress dll fails with the error 0xC0000005. This does not mean anything to me, perhaps there is an error somewhere when working with encodeRun parameters. All functions in dll's are declared as cdecl.

In my test on Delphi everything works without errors. I have until November 27th to fix the bug. And where to look for it is not entirely clear...
    I feel that I will not see the prize as my ears...

It would be nice if the organizers of this competition published a template for these dll's and a test samples on Delphi 32 before it began, then there would be no such questions...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 759 Posts
    > dll fails with the error 0xC0000005. This does not mean anything to me

Well, its windows crash code for "access violation", ie writing to unallocated memory. Could be some buffer overflow.

30. Thanks:

lz77 (22nd November 2020)

Thanks
    On November 18, I accidentally saw that in the test 4, blocks rapid results are weak. Therefore, on November 19, day and night, I adapted my simple lz type example written in the old (from year 2002) Delphi 7 for this test and sent it out at 5 am. It should compress block40.dat on the test PC to 146.4 mill. bytes for ~3.3 sec. (global time), and decompress it for ~1.25 sec. But testing staff emailed me that my compress dll fails with the error 0xC0000005. This does not mean anything to me, perhaps there is an error somewhere when working with encodeRun parameters.
    That result sounds good! The error is a typical Access Violation error (either non allocated memory accessed or some function called, which doesn't exist).

You might need to build a very small C console app to test it. The free Visual Studio Express might help here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelwien View Post
    >Well, its windows crash code for "access violation", ie writing to unallocated memory. Could be some buffer overflow.
    Error 0xC0000005 means only writing to unallocated memory, not reading?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast