Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 2253

Thread: paq8px

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moisesmcardona View Post
    1. The best way to easily build paq8px as of the moment is to use a MinGW installation. It's just a matter of running cmake and make. Because I like to generate data, I use the Media-Autobuild-Suite to build those media tools. I use that same suite to build paq8px since it already includes dependencies and always updates the components at each run. Note that, I do build paq8px manually regardless of the suite. Just that this way, I can keep MinGW up to date and use it for other purposes too.

2. I've never had issues with CMD on Windows. Unless you're trying to compress folders which will not work unless you do the text file with the content you want to pass.

3. I can try to add them. The objective of my tool is to keep it updated with newer releases for backward-compatibility purposes. However, given that these "fixes" builds are not in the Git repo, I'll need to do that manually. I'll try to test them later today.

4. My builds are also 64-bit, compiled on an AMD CPU (which triggered that Intel/AMD incompatibility issue) and as of the latest versions I'm building paq8px both native and non-native. Built on MinGW from my point #1.

Please use Git to submit your changes to the repo and keep a history of changes. Other than code management, it's great to have a historical repository containing every changes performed to paq8px. Not to mention, it's easier to revert to older versions and compile them.

My local repository has the xhim repo as the main upstream, as well as mpais and Gotty's repos. It's more convenient when it's time to merge them into the main repo and test/build them.
    how to submit my changes to github repo ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by suryakandau@yahoo.co.id View Post
    how to submit my changes to github repo ?
    You need to have a Github account and create a fork. You'll then need to clone your fork and add hxim's repo as the upstream. From there, you'll fetch upstream and merge with your own repo. Once your changes are done, commit them and push them. Then, you can create a Merge Request in Github to have your changes into consideration to be merged into the main repo.

Thanks
    On jpeg:
    in apm div lcp with 16->14 or you lose info, combine and hash them. Maybe 3 apms less. Previous errors also help. You can find it
    use abs values in apm /lcp, adv/, apm stepsize can also be lower then 20 if hashed and more memory is used. Owerall same usage probably.
    in m1 mixer lower layer use update rate 2 or 1.5
    lower column count in main mixer.
    ​mcupos in m1?
    On suryakandau test.jpg gain should be 8kb.
    KZo

4. Thanks (2):

Gotty (24th October 2020),Mike (22nd October 2020)

Thanks
    ​@suryakandau@yahoo.co.id
    I would also highly encourage you use the git repo.
    But since your fixes had issues, I would like to ask you to wait with sending pull requests to the hxim until you can comfortably do fixes, tweaks and improvements without introducing bugs.
    You may fork my repo (https://github.com/GotthardtZ/paq8px) if you wish and make pull requests to me, so we can learn together and make code reviews. My repo is up to date with hxim.

6. Thanks:

Mike (22nd October 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitz View Post
    On jpeg:
    in apm div lcp with 16->14 or you lose info, combine and hash them. Maybe 3 apms less. Previous errors also help. You can find it
    use abs values in apm /lcp, adv/, apm stepsize can also be lower then 20 if hashed and more memory is used. Owerall same usage probably.
    in m1 mixer lower layer use update rate 2 or 1.5
    lower column count in main mixer.
    ​mcupos in m1?
    On suryakandau test.jpg gain should be 8kb.
    i have implemented you idea (in apm div lcp or adv from 16 to 14) it can reduced size smaller. thank you.

Thanks
    Hello All,

These are results of my big testset. v193fix2 Vs. v194

We have a big gain of about 150K on the JPEG section.
    We also a gain of 22K on pdf files.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	immagine.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	8015

Great Job!

Luca
    https://sqlserverperformace.blogspot.com

9. Thanks (3):

Darek (22nd October 2020),Gotty (22nd October 2020),suryakandau@yahoo.co.id (22nd October 2020)

Thanks
    Paq8px195
    - improve jpeg recompression
    here is source code and binary file inside the package.
    Attached Files Attached Files

11. Thanks (4):

bwt (24th October 2020),Darek (24th October 2020),Gotty (24th October 2020),moisesmcardona (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    Have you changed the english.exp file?
    Thank you
    Luca

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LucaBiondi View Post
    Thank you
    Luca
    no, I have changed jpeg model only. Why ?

Thanks
    Please practice on committing your changes on Git. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moisesmcardona View Post
    Please practice on committing your changes on Git. Thanks.
    I have created GitHub account so what is the next step ?

Thanks
    I have created GitHub account so what is the next step ?
    The next step would be to learn git.
    Unfortunately a couple of forum posts here will not be enough to guide you through. Sorry, git is a larger topic. But it is a must today, so you have not much of a choice but to google read and learn.

https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LucaBiondi View Post
    Thank you
    Luca
    The difference of the english.exp file is due to different line endings (UNIX vs DOS). Paq8px does not care, so both are OK.

On my local system it has DOS line endings (as in the original releases by mpais), and I attach releases with DOS line endings.
    It looks like that on git some of the files are converted to UNIX line endings (like english.exp and most of the cpp files) and some stayed as DOS (like english.dic and some of the hpp files). Strange, isn't it?
    Even stranger: when I clone or pull the repository with git the english.exp contains DOS line endings.

So when Surya downloaded the source from git using the direct link he downloaded it with UNIX line endings and my attachment contained DOS line endings. This is the source of the confusion.
    As soon as Surya will use "git clone" to grab the full contents of the repo, he will also have the same line endings as most of us.
    No harm is made.
    It's safe to use the training files with any line endings.

18. Thanks:

LucaBiondi (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    Paq8px195
    - improve jpeg recompression
    Passed all my tests. Impressive results.
    I needed to make some cosmetic changes only.
    Well done, Surya!

@all: You may test with the exe posted by Surya above. It's official

Pushed the changes to my git and created a pull request to hxim.

20. Thanks (2):

moisesmcardona (24th October 2020),suryakandau@yahoo.co.id (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    Seems I'm late to the party as usual

Quote Originally Posted by Gotty View Post
    Passed all my tests.
    JpegModel.cpp, line 699:
    cxt[i++] = hash(++n, hc, advPred[4] / 13, prevCoef2 / 20, prevCoefRs);

advPred is [0..3]

And I'm guessing no one is testing his fpaq8 fork on 8 bit audio files.

Impressive results.
    Almost 50% slower for about 0.22% to 0.28% improvement from 193fix2.
    17 extra contexts and 13 extra daisy-chained SSE stages from a quick glance.

Don't get me wrong, it's a valid approach, even if it's not very efficient, and the JPEG model is one of the lowest complexity models in paq8 so there's still some low hanging fruit, so it's probably a good choice for someone wanting to start helping development as it's one of the easiest to improve. And I don't really have the time right now to rewrite this model so I can't really put my money where my mouth is, hence you guys are free to take my opinion as you please.

There is however the history of blatant disregard for proper attribution from Surya (and I'm not entirely convinced he and bwt are different users, but that's a different story), which it seems has even gotten him banned from the GDCC.

I'll be the first to admit my coding skills are mediocre at best, and I usually make dumb mistakes that you so kindly fix , but this is just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, without even understanding what one is doing. I get it, it's easy to just learn how to compile paq8, then tweak some numbers or add "hashes" (as he puts it) with different combinations of previous contexts, run it and see what effect it had. Oh, yeah, and strip the interface, change the program name, release the binary only and do wild claims...

Surya, if you have changed your ways and really want to help, I welcome your efforts and I'm sure everyone here will help you learn. Tempting as it may be to just brute-force compression improvements, I suggest you try to first learn and code some simpler compression methods to hone your skills and get a better understanding of the field, instead of jumping head first into such a complex codebase.

22. Thanks (2):

Gotty (24th October 2020),Mike (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mpais View Post
    but this is just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, without even understanding what one is doing.
    I've just came up with a name of this approach: "Random Forest"
    Yes, it's very clear he has no understanding.

Thanks

JpegModel.cpp, line 699:

advPred is [0..3]

Don't get me wrong, it's a valid approach, even if it's not very efficient, and the JPEG model is one of the lowest complexity models in paq8 so there's still some low hanging fruit, so it's probably a good choice for someone wanting to start helping development as it's one of the easiest to improve. And I don't really have the time right now to rewrite this model so I can't really put my money where my mouth is, hence you guys are free to take my opinion as you please.

There is however the history of blatant disregard for proper attribution from Surya (and I'm not entirely convinced he and bwt are different users, but that's a different story), which it seems has even gotten him banned from the GDCC.

I'll be the first to admit my coding skills are mediocre at best, and I usually make dumb mistakes that you so kindly fix , but this is just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, without even understanding what one is doing. I get it, it's easy to just learn how to compile paq8, then tweak some numbers or add "hashes" (as he puts it) with different combinations of previous contexts, run it and see what effect it had. Oh, yeah, and strip the interface, change the program name, release the binary only and do wild claims...

Surya, if you have changed your ways and really want to help, I welcome your efforts and I'm sure everyone here will help you learn. Tempting as it may be to just brute-force compression improvements, I suggest you try to first learn and code some simpler compression methods to hone your skills and get a better understanding of the field, instead of jumping head first into such a complex codebase.
    I smell bullying effort here. That is not good for this forum to keep that. I know your Emma compressor is number one in gdcc image compression but your character is not good.

Thanks
    Lenght of english.exp file is different (shorter) than latest issue. You need to swap this file for newest.
    However, from tests on my and Silesia files there no big impact of change this file.

Thanks
    Scores of paq8px_v194 for my testset - there no big changes (especially on my jpeg file too )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paq8px_v194_DBA.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	855.1 KB 
ID:	8018  

27. Thanks:

Gotty (24th October 2020)

Thanks

JpegModel.cpp, line 699:

advPred is [0..3]

This is not about programmers ethic anymore but it is about human legal case now. If gdcc choose you as the winner I think that is not a wise decision.

Thanks
    Scores of my testset for paq8px_v195 - nice gain (150 bytes) for F.JPG file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paq8px_v195_DBA.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	854.7 KB 
ID:	8019  
    Last edited by Darek; 4th November 2020 at 22:04.

30. Thanks:

Gotty (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    I smell bullying effort here. That is not good for this forum to keep that. I know your Emma compressor is number one in gdcc image compression but your character is not good. This is not about programmers ethic anymore but it is about human legal case now. If gdcc choose you as the winner I think that is not a wise decision.
    If you want to be part of a community, such comments are not helpful. Given your well documented history of mis-representations (that led to your disqualification from the GDCC), you should know better than questioning people's ethics and character.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darek View Post
    Lenght of english.exp file is different (shorter) than latest issue. You need to swap this file for newest.
    However, from tests on my and Silesia files there no big impact of change this file.
    The file has the same content, only line endings are different. Paq8px doesn't care, so the files are essentially the same. You can use either of them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagone View Post
    If you want to be part of a community, such comments are not helpful. Given your well documented history of mis-representations (that led to your disqualification from the GDCC), you should know better than questioning people's ethics and character.
    as I said before it is not about programmers ethic anymore it is about bullying and it becomes human legal case now. Is this community support bullying another people ?

Thanks
    It does not sound bullying to me. It is more like expressing anger or dislike because of your past. You did stupid things. <- It's also not bullying, it's a statement.
    Despite of all that you are welcome here. Read again our posts above and you'll see.
    For me your intention is clear in this thread: you would like to contribute (in contrast to your past when you wanted to have fame for yourself only). I take it as a sign of change and willingness.

Let's see the present.
    "Blind" parameter tuning will not be enough to get far. As mpais stated it works but it's not very efficient. Note: please understand his motivation. By reading all his posts you will see that he would like to make/keep paq8px as high quality as possible. And any change that is not in that direction makes him feel uneasy. He expressed his fear that your contributions may not reach a high quality mark. And we all know that his fear has ground - I expressed the same in my earlier posts when I fixed bugs in your code.

Let's look into the future then.
    Please, expect to spend 3-6 months just to understand the code base. I actually needed more time, so it may be more
    You will need to read the code line by line. Are you ready to do it? It's not an easy piece of software, you already know that.

Also you will need to do proper testing before any contribution. What does it mean?
    - You need to test on many different files;
    - You need to test the effect of your changes one by one. I have the feeling that you add many new context at once and when the result is satisfying you don't even check which context was the one that actually helped. You must include only those changes that actually help and eliminate any changes that have no or little effect as with any unnecessary code the compression gets slower and slower;
    - You need to disable NDEBUG and run sanity tests to see if your changes trigger any asserts.

Your contribution to the jpeg model was a good start. Nice compression gain but not so good memory usage and time. Although I don't have much time I'll see what I can do to make it a bit better in those areas.
    Last edited by Gotty; 25th October 2020 at 04:27.

35. Thanks (2):

Mike (25th October 2020),schnaader (25th October 2020)

Thanks
    It does not sound bullying to me. It is more like expressing anger or dislike because of your past. You did stupid things. <- It's also not bullying, it's a statement.
    Despite of all that you are welcome here. Read again our posts above and you'll see.
    For me your intention is clear in this thread: you would like to contribute (in contrast to your past when you wanted to have fame for yourself only). I take it as a sign of change and willingness.

Let's see the present.
    "Blind" parameter tuning will not be enough to get far. As mpais stated it works but it's not very efficient. Note: please understand his motivation. By reading all his posts you will see that he would like to make/keep paq8px as high quality as possible. And any change that is not in that direction makes him feel uneasy. He expressed his fear that your contributions may not reach a high quality mark. And we all know that his fear has ground - I expressed the same in my earlier posts when I fixed bugs in your code.

Let's look into the future then.
    Please, expect to spend 3-6 months just to understand the code base. I actually needed more time, so it may be more
    You will need to read the code line by line. Are you ready to do it? It's not an easy piece of software, you already know that.

Also you will need to do proper testing before any contribution. What does it mean?
    - You need to test on many different files;
    - You need to test the effect of your changes one by one. I have the feeling that you add many new context at once and when the result is satisfying you don't even check which context was the one that actually helped. You must include only those changes that actually help and eliminate any changes that have no or little effect as with any unnecessary code the compression gets slower and slower;
    - You need to disable NDEBUG and run sanity tests to see if your changes trigger any asserts.

Your contribution to the jpeg model was a good start. Nice compression gain but not so good memory usage and time. Although I don't have much time I'll see what I can do to make it a bit better in those areas.

I believe that every people in this forum is not a child so they can know which is bullying and which is not bullying. Imagine if your children becomes bullying victim so what should you do ? Does this forum support bullying to another people ? I believe that the answer is doesn't.

Thanks
    I believe that every people in this forum is not a child so they can know which is bullying and which is not bullying. Imagine if your children becomes bullying victim so what should you do ? Does this forum and another forum include gdcc support bullying to another people ? I believe that the answer is doesn't.

Thanks
    I believe that every people in this forum is not a child so they can know which is bullying and which is not bullying. Imagine if your children becomes bullying victim so what should you do ? Does this forum support bullying to another people ? I believe that the answer is doesn't.
    Honestly, I don't see where is the bullying part in this topic...

Let's be good people and move on and continue delivering the best we do here

39. Thanks (2):

Gotty (26th October 2020),LucaBiondi (26th October 2020)

Thanks

paq8px_v196

Code:
    Fixes and improvements in jpeg model
    - fixed indexing (thank you, mpais!)
    - removed 2 contexts and 1 apm, added 1 context
    - hashing instead of direct contexts in apms (thank you, Kaitz!)
    - using abs for advPred[] and lcp[] in apms (thank you, Kaitz!)
    - reduced memory use in apms (-24 MB on level 8)
    - tweaks
    Attached Files Attached Files

41. Thanks (4):

Darek (26th October 2020),kaitz (26th October 2020),Mike (26th October 2020),moisesmcardona (26th October 2020)

Thanks
    Code:
                                                      Size  Compressed  Sec
    paq8pxd_v90 -s8  PH01046J.JPG                    135611    107464     6
    paq8px -8        PH01046J.JPG                    135611    105624     7
    paq8pxd_v90 -s8  20200708_105932.jpg            3009379   2237601    83
    paq8px -8        20200708_105932.jpg            3009379   2756675   748 (drops to default*)
    paq8pxd_v90 -s8  A10.jpg                         842468    623059    25
    paq8px -8        A10.jpg                         842468    624651    36
    paq8pxd_v90 -s8  test.JPG                       3162196   2187172    85
    paq8px -8        test.JPG                       3162196   2194672   134
    paq8pxd_v90 -s8  paq8px_v193_4_Corpuses.jpg     3340610   1418082    96
    paq8px -8        paq8px_v193_4_Corpuses.jpg     3340610   1513474   142
    paq8px -8        maxpc.pdf                     14384698   8895217  1827
    paq8pxd_v90 -s8  maxpc.pdf                     14384698   8920647  1352
    paq8px 2520 MB
    paq8pxd_v90 1978 MB (about 600MB is JPEG)

*replace JASSERT((cPos & 63U) == 0) with: while (cPos &63U) cPos ++;
    Last edited by kaitz; 26th October 2020 at 02:25. Reason: maxpc.pdf
    KZo

43. Thanks:

Gotty (26th October 2020)

Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast