Thread: True gzip successor

Thanks

True gzip successor

Hi all – Is there a fundamental or theoretical reason why there isn't a better than gzip compressor that is as light on memory and CPU? According to the LTCB, gzip only uses 1.6 MB of RAM.

If you had to use at most the resources used by gzip (memory and CPU), could you build a better compressor? Is there an insurmountable problem of computational complexity or something? Like if you use context modeling or FSE or ANS...

What if we had full use of the modern CPU instruction set, so things like carryless multiplication, CRC32, AVX2, Bit Manipulation Instructions, SSE 4.2 string matching, etc.? And whatever their counterparts are on an ARMV8 server CPU.

(Note that the "gzip" that Mahoney uses on the LTCB is an extremely obsolete Windows application that no longer exists, but may be based on a predecessor to the current GNU gzip. His app is from 2006 or so. I'm not clear on what the implications are for memory use and CPU, but the modern zlib gzipper will be faster, and might compress better. The Cloudflare and libdeflate implementations of gzip will be faster still, not to mention SLZ.)

This article is interesting in that Expedia thought LZMA2 was the winner of their testing, but they discovered that with on-the-fly compression it used too much resources and gzip was actually the winner...

Thanks
    Well, many compressors do exceed the compression ratio achieved by gzip actually. What happens is, that as time has progressed and average amounts of RAM have increased in PCs, compressors have automatically allocated more memory--because they could.

For example, LZMA easily outperforms gzip using the same 32k dictionary/block size. Lower the dictionary size and run some tests for yourself.

Also, years ago, I did a benchmark following this same concept. Maybe you'll find it helpful:
    https://encode.su/threads/2097-The-1...sion-Benchmark

3. Thanks:

SolidComp (8th June 2020)

Thanks
    first, gzip is an archiver/compression format

the classic library used for gzip compression is zlib that uses about 256 KB (64 KB for sliding window, 64-128 KB for heads, and 64-128 KB for next pointers)

the two recent "zlib killers" are brotli and zstd. so just play with their modes. at least with zstd it should be possible to use 32-64K dictionary and quick match finders to outperform zlib while still using 256-1024KB of memory

5. Thanks:

SolidComp (8th June 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by comp1 View Post
    Well, many compressors do exceed the compression ratio achieved by gzip actually. What happens is, that as time has progressed and average amounts of RAM have increased in PCs, compressors have automatically allocated more memory--because they could.

For example, LZMA easily outperforms gzip using the same 32k dictionary/block size. Lower the dictionary size and run some tests for yourself.

Also, years ago, I did a benchmark following this same concept. Maybe you'll find it helpful:
    https://encode.su/threads/2097-The-1...sion-Benchmark
    Very interesting benchmark.

Yes, I know that many compressors beat gzip ratios – I'm talking about resource usage. I want a codec that is as light on CPU and memory as gzip, but with markedly better compression ratios (and at least as fast as gzip -6).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidComp View Post
    Very interesting benchmark.

Yes, I know that many compressors beat gzip ratios – I'm talking about resource usage. I want a codec that is as light on CPU and memory as gzip, but with markedly better compression ratios (and at least as fast as gzip -6).
    What I was trying to say was that many algorithms, when memory usage is decreased, easily surpass zlib/deflate (gzip) in compression ratio and decompressoin speed.

This was accomplished about 25 years ago with Microsoft's CAB (using the LZX algorithm). If you decrease the window size to 15 (32k) it will be compressing and decompression 32k blocks just like zlib/deflate does while reaching a much greater compression ratio and a faster decompression speed. CPU usage should be relatively similar.

I've attached CABARC.EXE for you. When compressing your files/folders, use
    Code:
    -m LZX:15
    to use the 32k window size that zlib/deflate format (gzip archiver) uses.
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. Thanks:

SolidComp (9th June 2020)