Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hutter Prize update

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportman View Post
    This CPU and motherboard only support 64GB max and CPU has 8 cores (16 threads) so in theory you can run 16 instances with 4GB memory each (64GB memory installed).

For 64GB:
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 64GB (2666MHz) 285 euro

Total: 660 euro.

For 128GB:
    Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4 (micro-ATX) 195 euro.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12 cores, 3.8-4.6GHz) 470 euro.
    Memory: HyperX Fury black 128MB (3200MHz) 675 euro.

Total: 1515 euro.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    The Hutter prize has been updated by 10x in prize money (5000 euros per 1% improvement)
    Is (Marcus) Hutter pize money source grants or his Google Senior Researcher DeepMind salary (maybe with employee stocks/options)?

Grants:
    2019 - 2023 A$ 7’500’000,- ANU Grand Challenge. 10 CIs. Human Machine Intelligence (HMI).
    2019 - 2021 US$ 276’000,- Future of Life Project grant. Sole CI. The Control Problem for Universal AI: A Formal Investigation (CPUAI).
    2015 - 2019 A$ 421’500,- Australian Research Council DP grant. Sole CI. Unifying Foundations for Intelligent Agents (UFIA).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 671 Posts
    You have to understand that both 50k and 500k values are just for advertisement.
    Realistically new people would have to invest months of work even to make $5k.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelwien View Post
    values are just for advertisement.
    Agree, but because you need to publish source code it can be strategic to submit the best possible version as first version and who knows how many % improvement that is.

I think about outsiders, students who earn part-time 4 euro a hour in a restaurant or supermarket or have no income at all accept parents money or government/bank loan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 671 Posts
    Problem is that its basically the same contest, just with better prizes.
    New participants would still have to compete with all the time that Alex spent on tweaking and testing all kinds of things.
    So we can't expect sudden 10% breakthroughs here, at least not while using the same paq framework (cmix is also paq-based).
    Even 1% required for a prize would be not that easy to reach.

> students who earn part-time 4 euro a hour

Its very unlikely in this case. The potential winner has to be a C++ programmer (which is out of fashion) with a good knowledge of state-of-art compression methods,
    and with access to hardware for cmix testing.

Thanks
    It got some interest in https://old.reddit.com/r/MachineLear...ipedia_to_its/
    https://news.slashdot.org/story/20/0...ased-to-500000

There are compressors based on these huge BERT, GPL etc. models, but it is a disqualifying requirement.
    Also such advanced ML methods are deadly for CPU - this "no GPU usage" can discourage some interested people.

Thanks

Unhappy

Maybe it is more interesting to compress eneik10 with <48 hours like sportsman do before. I think it is more applicative rather than compress enwik9. It is so long to compress 1gb file until 4-5 days....

Thanks
    enwik10 as built of 10 languages does not only regard knowledge extraction, but also ability to find correspondence between languages, kind of automatic translation.

It is an interesting question if/which compressors can do it.
    It can be tested as in this "Hilberg conjecture" for finding long range dependencies.

For example in http://www.byronknoll.com/cmix.html we can read that enwik9, 8, 6 are compressed into correspondingly: 115714367, 14838332, 176377 bytes.
    We see it is sublinear behavior - larger files can be better compressed thanks to exploiting long range dependencies.

The question is we have something similar in this enwiki10: what is the size difference between compressing its 10 language files together and separately?

Improvement for compressing together can be interpreted as kind of automatic translation ability (rather only for the best compressors).
    Ok, not exactly translation - they probably contain different texts, so it is rather ability to exploit similarities between different languages (their models).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelwien View Post
    The potential winner has to be a C++ programmer (which is out of fashion) with a good knowledge of state-of-art compression methods,
    and with access to hardware for cmix testing.
    if i'm just playing with bits...c++ i do not like rather prefer pure c or assembler,,,btw, cmix v18 can compress to ~ 115 900 000 bytes with ssd swap file and 10gib of ram within 100 hours, the task is squeeze it up to 400k and code proper memory manager for cmix, i'm too lazy to take a part, my price begin with ...it depends on many factors, but may be someone want to win the hill

Expert
    Thanks
    The new contest was entirely Marcus Hutter's idea. His money, his rules, although we reviewed them before the announcement.

To me, the compressor is irrelevant to Kolmogorov complexity, but I think it does give an interesting twist to the contest. It will be interesting to see how you could take advantage of the shared code between the compressor and decompressor.

11. Thanks:

Alexander Rhatushnyak (23rd February 2020)

Thanks
    I think the rules should be modified so that the program is not required to run on CPUs older than the Intel Haswell family. This way it is possible to assume that AVX2+FMA is always available. Otherwise the performance of machine learning algorithms such as the ones implemented by NNCP will be too low to be usable (if AVX2+FMA is not available, the performance is 4x slower per cycle...).

So I suggest to remove the "Intel Core i7-620M" as test machine. It is a CPU of 2010 which does not support AVX2 nor FMA.

Thanks

14. Thanks (2):

Kaw (27th February 2020),well (27th February 2020)

Thanks
    Jarek, big thanks!
    that's all i need to know about money, if this video is not designed by 3d design software then everything is ok! if this is computer graphics product then you receive just what it cost huge amount of human labour...
    Last edited by well; 27th February 2020 at 19:39.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12