Thread: lossless PDF compressor

Thanks

lossless PDF compressor

Just curious: are there any special lossless compressors for pdf files? I am not talking about existing PDF optimizers that remove fonts, meta data with output still being pdf format. deflate sometimes works well, sometimes doesn't. Not an expert in pdf format, I figure it must have some structures that can be used for more compression than general dictionary based algorithms, especially for pdf files with many tables and forms, generated by office tools. Any ideas or pointers?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,299 Times in 736 Posts
    There's precomp: https://github.com/schnaader/precomp-cpp/releases
    PDFs can contain deflate streams, jpegs (maybe png/gif too), base64 - these are all handled by precomp.

3. Thanks:

smjohn1 (15th January 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelwien View Post
    PDFs can contain deflate streams, jpegs (maybe png/gif too), base64 - these are all handled by precomp.
    Kinda off-topic, but it was the first software for compression of already compressed data (with decompression) I ever found when I started finding compression tools for videos and images around 2012. Six years later, I created account here.

Or maybe if you have original document and PDF is the result of export command, you can apply compression for text (approx. 80% ratio of text) and other data separately.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelwien View Post
    thanks, I will play with it and see how it works on PDF files.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CompressMaster View Post
    Kinda off-topic, but it was the first software for compression of already compressed data (with decompression) I ever found when I started finding compression tools for videos and images around 2012. Six years later, I created account here.

Or maybe if you have original document and PDF is the result of export command, you can apply compression for text (approx. 80% ratio of text) and other data separately.
    Thanks. I think a few major pdf creators already have this type of compression feature built-in. What I talked about is to "recompress" an existing pdf file.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki Alakuijala View Post
    Thanks, I did find this package too. But perhaps I didn't make it clear, my input is a PDF file, and after (re)compression, the output doesn't need to be pdf, but it should be able to decompressed back to the exact original pdf file, bitwise. I guess this is NOT what this tool does.

Thanks
    Yeah there are issues ,you can contribute there, for example - make new win build for community)

Thanks
    precomp is your best option as it can recognize most of the streams and if you have more time you can optimize the pdf file prior to that which can find duplicate stream and remove other not required/visible streams.

next to precomp you have Stuffit which can be unpacked on multiple systems including windows/mac/ios

other use Mfilter with 7-zip as it works best on scanned pdf files with JPG streams.

Thanks
    Precomp is the tool of choice for losslessness and speed - if speed and memory usage doesn't matter, paq8px and cmix give smaller results.

For the sake of completeness, here's a list of things that Precomp doesn't handle (yet) and if they are planned for upcoming versions.

- General image compression will improve with the usage of FLIF (and/or webp/pik), see issue #44, planned for >0.4.8
    - Images with predictors aren't handled yet, planned for >0.4.8
    - CCITT/JBIG/JPG2000 aren't handled and it's unlikely they will be, especially JPEG2000 is hell of a complex format
    - "Encrypted" PDFs (using the known Adobe key) aren't handled yet, planned for >= 0.4.8
    - ASCII-/LZW-/Base85 encoded streams, see issue #3, planned for >= 0.4.8
    - Postscript Type1 fonts are snake oil encrypted and can be compressed much better after decryption, planned for 0.4.8
    - Most of the xref tables can be generated from PDF content, planned for 0.4.8
    - JPEG compression and decompression will be much faster and multi-threaded in 0.4.8 by using brunsli, already implemented in the development version
    - Multi-threaded reconstruction of deflate streams will also be implemented in 0.4.8
    - Features for extracting and analyzing streams will be implemented in 0.4.8. This will help in two ways: First, it can save decompressed streams to disk (e.g. PDF images as BMP/PNG/JPG) so you can see which images are the biggest in size and resolution. Second, it will also be available in a reversable variant that can be used to compress the extracted content with other tools, e.g. FLIF/webp for images
    Last edited by schnaader; 15th January 2020 at 11:30. Reason: added some links
    http://schnaader.info
    Damn kids. They're all alike.

12. Thanks (3):

Mike (15th January 2020),Shelwien (15th January 2020),smjohn1 (15th January 2020)

Thanks
    can you add also making "Precomp" as a filter for 7-zip (like mfilter did) ..