Thread: Ultrarunning

Thanks

Ultrarunning

I knew Matt did ultrarunning, but because it's not a visible sport in the media, it's not really something to know a lot about or even to understand.

I wonder how Matt as ultrarunner or other long distance runners think about Kouros?

http://ultrarunninghistory.com/yiannis-kouros/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7UzmKxe3Xk

2. Thanks:

dnd (3rd January 2020)

Thanks
    When I first read this, I thought you were talking about a SUN UltraSPARC until I got to the second line lol. I was like: "He's running an UltraSparc still?" lol

When I was younger I used to do cross-country running. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I would want to do an ultra marathon even back then. I'd have opted for the Sun Sparc between the two

Thanks
    At 50, I'll settle for my algorithms running ultra fast while I sit back and watch them.

5. Thanks (2):

JamesWasil (3rd January 2020),Mike (3rd January 2020)

Thanks
    Let's broadening the question to let it be more on-topic:

What's your longest non-stop programming session without sleep and your longest period of day and night non-stop programming with sleep breaks?

I did in the last decades many non-stop programming sessions (mostly algorithms and bug fixing) without sleep, where my limit was always around 32 hours then I couldn't suppress sleep anymore. Between 24 and 32 hours I could while still programming receive random flashbacks from memories of the past I already forgot. For bug fixing my experience is that you can better go to sleep and do it the next day, than solving goes much faster.

My longest non-stop period with sleep was 30 years ago, I programmed 3 months day and night to finish an expert system I created. Even when I had to travel with public transportation or visit people I had a stack matrix printed code in my hands to continuous improve it. It was a temporary addiction comparable with modern people who are always busy with their smartphones

Thanks
    I personally don't recall doing any marathon programming specifically. But before the wife and kids my day was basically either coding or drinking and thinking about algorithms. In retrospect it probably could have been considered a few decades of 'marathon-ish' programming. Good times ...