Thread: Goodbye

Thanks

Goodbye

Why has the 'razor source' thread suddenly disappeared?

A lot of people gave careful consideration to the words they were going to use, risked ostracism over their point of view and finally expressed it. Right or wrong, popular or impopular, it's hours of conversation and it seemed to finally have gotten to a conclusion, with a firm posture made clear by the majority. Now the whole thread has magically disappeared. So much for freedom of speech on the internet. How can one guy have the power to unilaterally delete a whole thread where a lot of people participated and exposed their opinions, just because it doesn't suit him, because he lost the argument? Oh, while also insulting other members of the community on that same thread. Let's hope this one lives enough for other people to quote it or at least read it.

This is supposed to be a place to exchange knowledge, to teach and learn and cooperate, now it has become a dictatorship. I'm outta here. So long and thanks for all the fish. If anyone needs some testing done, or just want to chat, I'll be answering on gitter as M-Gonzalo

Thanks
    It disappeared because of a forum bug when Shelwien tried to copy/edit it and something happened so it got erased.

Thanks
    There's still a backup of the thread in html form but not trivial to get it back into the forum.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 740 Posts
    > risked ostracism over their point of view

That was koxa and me, I suppose.
    Anti-RE position is quite safe I think. Somewhat luddist, but safe.

> because he lost the argument?

I remember you stopping with "frankly these arguments make me sick in the gut so I'll just leave it alone".
    I don't see how it means me losing the argument.

> now it has become a dictatorship.

That's very funny. Just as well its your dictatorship, since you forced koxa to remove the source.

And yeah, I tried to move the thread to another subforum, copied instead of moving, deleted the copy (it had a different thread id and post ids) and
    original somehow disappeared too.

I have a saved html copy and can try restoring it if there's really a need.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzalo View Post
    Why has the 'razor source' thread suddenly disappeared?

A lot of people gave careful consideration to the words they were going to use, risked ostracism over their point of view and finally expressed it. Right or wrong, popular or impopular, it's hours of conversation and it seemed to finally have gotten to a conclusion, with a firm posture made clear by the majority. Now the whole thread has magically disappeared. So much for freedom of speech on the internet. How can one guy have the power to unilaterally delete a whole thread where a lot of people participated and exposed their opinions, just because it doesn't suit him, because he lost the argument? Oh, while also insulting other members of the community on that same thread. Let's hope this one lives enough for other people to quote it or at least read it.

This is supposed to be a place to exchange knowledge, to teach and learn and cooperate, now it has become a dictatorship. I'm outta here. So long and thanks for all the fish. If anyone needs some testing done, or just want to chat, I'll be answering on gitter as M-Gonzalo
    I was disappointed to see the thread disappear as well as I fell it is by far the most meaningful dialog that has taken place here for quite some time. More so because I wanted to chime in as well but was on vacation and didn't have the time to do so before the thread disappeared.

I would hold off, however, on suggesting that there was anything nefarious about the disappearance. Although it is odd.

My two cents on the matter (for what it is worth) is that we should always respect the wishes of the author. However, the author should not expect that his wishes will always be respected. It's simply the way the world works. I always stick to my personal motto that it doesn't matter what others do. The only thing that matters is what you yourself do. Your actions are the only thing you really have control over and also the only thing which will truly define you. For me, that means respect the wishes of others when interacting with them.

I don't believe the OPs intent was to diminish nor disrespect the wishes of the author and I believe the OP responded to the thread is fine fashion.

Besides, while I haven't even thought about LZ for at least a decade, surely it can't be that hard to compete with razor if one were to have a serious go at it. Plus it's more fun to write it yourself - at least for me it is.

- Michael

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelwien View Post
    > risked ostracism over their point of view

That was koxa and me, I suppose.
    Anti-RE position is quite safe I think. Somewhat luddist, but safe.

And yeah, I tried to move the the thread to another subforum, copied instead of moving, deleted the copy (it had a different thread id and post ids) and
    original somehow disappeared too.

I have a saved html copy and can try restoring it if there's really a need.
    I kind of figured that something went wrong when trying to move the thread over to another subform. Off topic lounge, I assume?

7. Thanks:

Shelwien (26th December 2019)