Thread: Lossless compression

Thanks

Lossless compression

Why most people think lossless compression cant compress big data to smaller?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 718 Posts
    Its only possible to compress data with known patterns.
    To make it possible to never expand any data with compression algorithms (while still compressing some),
    it would be necessary that 50% or more of all possible files would be compressible.
    But the actual share of compressible files is closer to 1/N for files of N bits, so compression algorithms
    would always have to expand some files while compressing others.

Thanks
    If I got another method to compress it.How can I show and prove it ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama View Post
    If I got another method to compress it.How can I show and prove it ?
    Write a working compressor/decompressor, then sell it. Those who want to take a peek of your compressor must allot essential good enough payment because they will surely learn from it a couple of compression tricks. I think if it is truly revolutionary algorithm, they must pay huge for it, they will buy it, i say in the hundreds of million$ because it is already worth it. It's time that tech giants recognize the true value of breakthrough compression algorithms.

You cannot continue lurking in compression groups without having correctly implemented a few algorithms yourself. These threads and posts are mostly written by professional and experienced programmers, so coding is easy for them. In my experience, you must prove your compression ideas correct by actually writing a compression and decompression program. Otherwise you're dreaming, and it will destroy your life.

Today's compression algorithms are mostly symbol or string-replacement algorithms. Your other method is different?
    Last edited by compgt; 27th December 2019 at 21:46.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compgt View Post
    Write a working compressor/decompressor, then sell it. Those who want to take a peek of your compressor must allot essential good enough payment because they will surely learn from it a couple of compression tricks. I think if it is truly revolutionary algorithm, they must pay huge for it, they will buy it, i say in the hundreds of million$ because it is already worth it. It's time that tech giants recognize the true value of breakthrough compression algorithms.

You cannot continue lurking in compression groups without having correctly implemented a few algorithms yourself. These threads and posts are mostly written by professional and experienced programmers, so coding is easy for them. In my experience, you must prove your compression ideas correct by actually writing a compression and decompression program. Otherwise you're dreaming, and it will destroy your life.

Today's compression algorithms are mostly symbol or string-replacement algorithms. Your other method is different?

Yes,it’s different method.Actually math can solve it and provide high compress rate.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 718 Posts
    Math can also let you calculate the numbers of possible compressed and uncompressed files.

I'd be moving this thread to "Random compression" soon, look for it there if it "disappears".