Thread: Losing Lena

Thanks

Losing Lena

https://onezero.medium.com/a-nude-pl...s-b8cdb434dce1

I'm sorry for posting link to paid material

2. Thanks (2):

JamesWasil (26th November 2019),Mike (26th November 2019)

Thanks
    I firstly saw it at image sharpening/compression academic papers around 2011. One year later, I found this compression forum.

4. Thanks:

JamesWasil (26th November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 740 Posts
    Need to protect cats' rights next. So many cat pictures on the net, used without cat's permission...

6. Thanks (2):

JamesWasil (26th November 2019),Lucas (29th November 2019)

Thanks
    I posted a response to Medium, and to a lady who whined and complained immediately after that men using photos of women in any way is "sexist". Since Medium didn't let me post my response, I'll share it here for the sake of discussion.

Maybe you agree, or maybe not, but either way censorship is as bad as false claims of sexism against men who helped make progress for all the testing and hard work throughout the decades to improve technology, and I think that not only should Lena be honored that she was selected for that, but women should be happy that they helped with technology in that way, too. You would think that people appreciate the roles and the contributions they make, but the SJWs are bitching and moaning about the fact that they're not the ones doing everything and getting 100% credit for it their way and ONLY their way, the way they demand it to be, rather than how it actually is for what it is.

Here's what I wrote that Medium won't publish:

----
    Oh, cry me a river. This is ridiculous. What’s next, will we start demanding that pictures of dogs and cats posted to facebook need to be removed, or we need to get approval rights from the dogs and cats before testing can be done on those images?

This politically correct nonsense is going to be the death of tech advancements, because those “getting in to tech” these past 20 years are going to ruin over 50 years of everything already done, leaving them nothing but a gridlock mess made of their own accord.

So sorry if the truth is “terribly oppressive” to anyone out there who has never used a teletype or programmed for a PDP-11 while viewing this on a “tablet” or something else where they’re far removed from reality.

Lena is Lena. She was a good looking model during her modeling days, she’s a nice elderly lady today, and you know what? There’s nothing wrong with that, and she should be honored that she was selected to be the go-to for image testing, because it’s a compliment to her, her features, and what she was trying to accomplish as a model. It was a different era, and you can’t sit there and tell me with all of the Hollywood money made at the expense of smaller artists without contracts that forfeit their rights to content that this is some isolated case. If I had a nickel for every publicist or manager who made bank off of an unsuspecting music artist or actor that didn't know their rights before a contract was written, I'd be a billionaire. Not a millionaire - a billionaire - because this includes everything from contracts written in Europe and USA to Asia, Brazil, and the rest of the world. Hindsight is always 20/20, and sometimes you have to cut your losses and move forward. Heck, even Google rips things off (ANS number systems, anyone? Jarek? Not sure any of the hipsters on medium.com even know what I'm talking about, but other crowds will), and the use of things without consent isn't limited only to pictures and video, obviously. But Lena made contributions without even realizing it, and HOPEFULLY to all of you, that SHOULD be a GOOD THING, and not what I've seen from this post.

And by the way? Some of the new women working in tech, or what’s left of it, have jobs that help to grab people’s photos from social media and use those photos in ads without their consent or any payment!

Don’t those people who have their profile pictures ripped off on Facebook by women in tech all become “Lena” in that sense — without their photo even having the benefit of improving research for others and only serving for ad revenues and corporations?

Where are all those feminists at screaming at their own women for helping to do that?

Not a word. Only the sound of crickets!

Would any of these women have said a word or even cared about this if it were George Michael’s photo or Anderson Cooper?

Most men in tech were mostly straight initially, but even the ones who were not appreciated Lena from the artistic side of things and I remember reading a few commentaries in the 80's and early 90's of a few saying exactly that.

Women and SJWs that are both women and men just find non-issues to complain and moan about constantly anymore where there aren’t any. That is part of what’s wrong with tech now and what’s happening to the downfall of progress with it on top of the stagnation.

Whatever you condone, you get more of. The attempt to bring “inclusion” only brings everything that you don’t need which prevents progress.

Do they want us to go backwards? Doing things like this, forcing technical paper rejection simply because they use a standard testing photo, and trying to implement political correctness to destroy progress is how we go backwards!

Enough already! If Lena wants money for her grandkids for royalties, then give her the cash and let her be satisfied with that. We don’t need more whining SJWs making more non-issues than there already are for all of this!

I'm going to start scanning photos of dogs and animals in nature for image testing until PETA tells me I can't I guess.

After that, maybe I'll use photos of The Terminator until Skynet tells me no.

Then, I'll have to get photos of myself, until the SJWs who take over tech program the firmware of the camera to not let me use it for image testing, either.

Thanks
    I'm just thankful that the corpus doesn't contain 'Eugene.tiff'.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by michael maniscalco View Post
    If IT were female dominated then perhaps there would be multiple Eugene.tiffs. Maybe there would also be Michael.tiff? :P

On a serious note, the issue is blown out of proportion. Sure, attaching single easily searchable Playboy image in research material is rather reckless (unprofessional), but I never saw it as a something derogatory to women. At least not more than what mass media regularly shows. Female nudity is even included in leftist/SJW-driven magazines, articles, etc Women are protesting naked. Overall, female nudity is treated very differently, depending on who want to attack who. If all forms of public female nudity were equally denounced then it would be simple to assess whether an attack is well founded. Instead, it somehow requires "expert" opinion. That's not quite convincing to me. Do I need to ask for "expert" opinion before posting anything that may be deemed controversial?

There's another possibility, though. Probably the usage of Lena image faded because it felt unprofessional and also outdated to researchers, but then someone wanted to make a political argument out of it so a weird article was made.

Thanks
    When I first saw the title I immediately thought Lena had passed, thanks for making me sad Corinne. Talk about click-bait

The author seems to have a good grasp on the fields where we use lena, but it's going to be hard to change something which has been used by professionals for decades. If Lena still has rights to that image then she can control the licensing and usage of it, but given she hasn't I can only imagine it has fallen into some region of the public domain.

As for the claim that "women don't belong in the tech industry" I find that absurd, I work with many brilliant women and men. The whole idea that gender is at all linked to skill is silly. Making noise about women in tech I guess can help bring attention to it, but I prefer if they didn't approach it in a way that is a jab at the industry as a whole; not all companies are a sausage fest full of bros.

After reading the article it reminded me of a great video about the kind of people which post this content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPEHbJgomgA. It feels like a lot of political correctness, which is often misleading of actual ramifications in order to make a point.

Quote Originally Posted by michael maniscalco View Post

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 740 Posts
    > I'm just thankful that the corpus doesn't contain 'Eugene.tiff'.

It would have to be this guy probably.
    Seems to be the only Eugene related to Playboy.
    https://twitter.com/eugenegu/status/1049798305620811777
    https://www.playboy.com/profile/eugene-gu

Thanks
    "I do hereby reckon I will not replace Lena for the image testing of the industry."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twd-711-gp-0913-0243-rt-1487887715113_1280w.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	7114