Thread: shar2 zstd archiver

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 745 Posts

shar2 zstd archiver

https://github.com/Shelwien/shar2/tree/master/src
    https://github.com/Shelwien/shar2/re...v0/shar2_v0.7z (there's also x64 linux binary)

This is an implementation of a "different" archive format.
    It has a solid index at the end of archive like .7z/.arc, but still is able to extract from a pipe,
    by extracting to temp names first, and then renaming when index is reached.
    It also doesn't store file sizes explicitly (uses escape-sequences for terminators),
    so its possible to eg. batch-edit files like this: "shar a0 - src/ | sed -e s/foobar/foo/ | shar x - new"

Known problems:

1. Wildcards are not implemented yet, so its only possible to create archive from a single directory.

2. Needs newer (2015+?) VS libs for proper support of non-english names on windows.
    Mingw gcc default libs don't have support for locales.

3. gcc >=8 builds a buggy exe. Builds from gcc7 and earlier work properly, while gcc8+ don't.
    I don't know why yet, but probably again for gcc its too complicated to parse C++ templates.

2. Thanks (3):

Bulat Ziganshin (18th November 2019),Cyan (21st November 2019),Hakan Abbas (19th November 2019)

Thanks
    1. Turned out that gcc8+ problem was "undefined behavior" due to some missing return statements in some dummy functions.

2. Apparently setlocale(utf8) only works with VS2019 libs. I tested 2015 and 2017 and they can't handle russian filenames in utf8.
    Thing is, "ascii" winapi functions can only work with ANSI and OEM codepages. VS2019 libs handle this by actually always using unicode winapi
    and converting filenames according to locale, while previous versions don't.

Thanks
    Switched to zstd 1.4.4. Got me a tough debug session, because my wrapper suddenly stopped working.
    Turns out, now it returns "Src size is incorrect" without a rather obscure setPledgedSrcSize call.
    Also "ZSTD_CONTENTSIZE_UNKNOWN" is 4G-1, so now I'm concerned whether it'd be able to compress a >4G stream.
    Is it documented somewhere?
      size_t read = fread( inpbuf, 1,bufsize, f ); 

ZSTD_CStream* cstream = ZSTD_createCStream();
    ZSTD_parameters params = ZSTD_getParams( compressionLevel, 0, 0 );
    ZSTD_initCStream_advanced( cstream, 0, 0, params, 0 );

ZSTD_CCtx_setPledgedSrcSize( cstream, ZSTD_CONTENTSIZE_UNKNOWN ); // <<<<<<<<<

ZSTD_inBuffer input = { inpbuf, read, 0 };
    ZSTD_outBuffer output = { outbuf, bufsize, 0 };
    size_t toRead = ZSTD_compressStream( cstream, &output, &input );

printf( "%i/%i %i/%i %i [%s]\n", input.pos,input.size, output.pos,output.size, toRead, ZSTD_getErrorName(toRead) );

Thanks
    Also "ZSTD_CONTENTSIZE_UNKNOWN" is 4G-1, so now I'm concerned whether it'd be able to compress a >4G stream.
    `ZSTD_CONTENTSIZE_UNKNOWN` is supposed to be a 64-bit value, so it should be much larger than 4 GB.
    But if it's truncated to 32-bit, then it becomes 4 GB - 1.

This constant and its behavior are documented here : https://github.com/facebook/zstd/blo...ib/zstd.h#L129

now it returns "Src size is incorrect" without a rather obscure setPledgedSrcSize call.
    `pledgedSrcSize` is the last parameter of `ZSTD_initCStream_advanced()`.
    In the example, it's set to zero, so now the frame expects to be empty.
    Since it's not, the API returns an error code.

An alternative consists in passing `ZSTD_CONTENTSIZE_UNKNOWN` as the value for last argument.

Note that `ZSTD_initCStream_advanced()` is on its way out, and is now labelled a deprecated function.
    I would rather recommend to use only stable functions whenever the equivalent is available in the stable API.

If I do understand correctly what you want to achieve, I would suggest the following set of invocations :

Code:
      ZSTD_CStream* cstream = ZSTD_createCStream(); 

ZSTD_CCtx_setParameter(cstream, ZSTD_compressionLevel, compressionLevel);  // <<<<< this is the change, it replaces 3 lines

ZSTD_inBuffer input = { inpbuf, read, 0 };
      ZSTD_outBuffer output = { outbuf, bufsize, 0 };
      size_t toRead = ZSTD_compressStream( cstream, &output, &input );

6. Thanks:

Shelwien (26th November 2019)

Thanks
    > `ZSTD_CONTENTSIZE_UNKNOWN` is supposed to be a 64-bit value, so it should be much larger than 4 GB.
    > But if it's truncated to 32-bit, then it becomes 4 GB - 1.

I've checked, and its actually a problem with debuginfo. The value is a correct 64-bit -1, but 32 bits are printed.
    Code:
    ZSTD_CCtx_setPledgedSrcSize to 4294967295 bytes 
    ZSTD_compressStream2, endOp=0  
    ZSTD_getCParams (cLevel=3) 
    ZSTD_compressStream2 : transparent init stage 
    ZSTD_resetCStream_internal 
    ZSTD_compressBegin_internal: wlog=21 
    ZSTD_resetCCtx_internal: pledgedSrcSize=4294967295, wlog=21
    > `pledgedSrcSize` is the last parameter of `ZSTD_initCStream_advanced()`.
    > In the example, it's set to zero, so now the frame expects to be empty.
    > Since it's not, the API returns an error code.

Thanks, I've just already forgot everything about details of this wrapper,
    it worked for years, but then suddenly stopped.

> If I do understand correctly what you want to achieve, I would suggest the following set of invocations :

I used initCStream_advanced because I'm actually also setting some other
    parameters, like window size, but I guess it can be also done via setParameter() instead.

Thanks
    Check out the Shared Brotli effort. It solves the archiving use, too. Section 9 of its IETF draft describes the archiving format.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-va...t-04#section-9

Thanks
    I used initCStream_advanced because I'm actually also setting some other
    parameters, like window size, but I guess it can be also done via setParameter() instead.
    Yes, `ZSTD_CCtx_setParameter()` is the preferred method to set parameters now.
    It's been declared stable since v1.4.0, meaning from now on, it will always be supported.
    All stable parameters are guaranteed to keep same value and same meaning onward.

Most parameters can be set up with this method (including experimental ones).
    There are a few additional `ZSTD_CCtx_setX()` methods, for parameters that can't be expressed using an `int`,
    for example `ZSTD_CCtx_setPledgedSrcSize()` which takes an `unsigned long long`,
    or `ZSTD_CCtx_setDictionary()` which takes a buffer.

For more information :
    https://github.com/facebook/zstd/blo...ib/zstd.h#L233

shar is a pretty great archiver. I remember using the first version with `lz4` on Windows many years ago.
    It worked great !

Having the source code available on github is a big benefit of this version,
    since any user of the format will be interested in being able to decode it again in the future,
    and the source code is the ultimate "source of truth" from which a decoder can always be rebuilt if needed.

10. Thanks (2):

Mike (26th November 2019),Shelwien (26th November 2019)

Thanks
    > shar is a pretty great archiver. I remember using the first version with `lz4` on Windows many years ago.

This one is completely different. Old shar is windows-only because of directory scanning API.
    Windows compilers (VS and mingw) don't have a native readdir implementation for some reason.
    Also it was only possible to work with non-english filenames via wchar winapi.

But VS2019 lib is finally able to correctly work with utf8 filenames, and I found a readdir implementation based on winapi.

And the archive format is completely different here.
    Old shar had file headers like .tar or .zip, while shar2 keeps solid archive index at the end (like .7z),
    while using some tricks to extract files without index.

12. Thanks:

Cyan (27th November 2019)