Thread: I´m looking for the most durable notebook with high performance

Thanks

I´m looking for the most durable notebook with high performance

Hello,
    I´d like to ask which NB is the most durable as of 2019 and also with high performance.
    I have now Acer Aspire 5750g as of 2011 and I need to replace it because of serious issues - low HDD space (also my 1TB external HDD is full with movies, games etc - hence I´m here), broken power adapter, poor battery condition (10% of original capacity!), slow speed (30 minutes from full shutdown to startup), physically broken parts, etc.

My requierements:

1.very good durability - specifically, new NB should works perfectly (not performance side, I´m takling about material durability, quality and so on) for 15 years and longer. Most metal parts, not plastic. Of course, it´s not only about performance, it´s about technology progress - for example Vista was the first OS without direct DOS compatibilityOh, wrong step...
    2.very good performance - for playing games but not today highlights - GTA SA, FarCry1, Need For Speed 2 and some DOS.
    3.without OS - I have Windows 7 PRO full license
    4.good connectivity - HDMI, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, VGA, SD card reader, CD/DVD/RW, matte display, etc
    5.Caps + NumLock on/off light
    6.a lot of RAM DDR4 (or3), 5/10 TB HDD...

HP EliteBooks or ProBooks I think... Lenovo, ehm, I have lenovo A-2010 and it´s not possible to shutdown it - broken ON button.

For example panasonic toughbook, but it´s very expensive - extreme example. I thought about it, but "these are not your everyday laptops!"
    At school where I am working as a system admin, we have (among many others) HP ProBook 4330s from 2012 and it is still very good in term of durability i.e. display still opens smoothly.
    Remember, I don´t want compromises - NB should be the most durable yet super fast (for everyday use - app developing, watching movies, not for playing high-end games, video rendering...)

I know that things made in today aren´t very durable - planning obsolescense - use and discard when warranty ends

Many thanks.
    Last edited by CompressMaster; 4th November 2019 at 20:58.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 719 Posts
    Maybe just buy 2-3 of the same notebook?
    Preferably without DVD which is one of the less durable parts and becomes obsolete already - just get an external one instead.

Thanks
    If you do not need separated GPU and M.2 NVMe at SSD speed is fast enough:
    http://emea.dynabook.com/generic/tecra/
    Build in Sharp factory, Toshiba quality 24/7 three years no problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CompressMaster View Post
    Hello,
    I´d like to ask which NB is the most durable as of 2019 and also with high performance.
    I have now Acer Aspire 5750g as of 2011 and I need to replace it because of serious issues - low HDD space (also my 1TB external HDD is full with movies, games etc - hence I´m here), broken power adapter, poor battery condition (10% of original capacity!), slow speed (30 minutes from full shutdown to startup), physically broken parts, etc.

My requierements:

1.very good durability - specifically, new NB should works perfectly (not performance side, I´m takling about material durability, quality and so on) for 15 years and longer. Most metal parts, not plastic. Of course, it´s not only about performance, it´s about technology progress - for example Vista was the first OS without direct DOS compatibilityOh, wrong step...
    2.very good performance - for playing games but not today highlights - GTA SA, FarCry1, Need For Speed 2 and some DOS.
    3.without OS - I have Windows 7 PRO full license
    4.good connectivity - HDMI, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, VGA, SD card reader, CD/DVD/RW, matte display, etc
    5.Caps + NumLock on/off light
    6.a lot of RAM DDR4 (or3), 5/10 TB HDD...

HP EliteBooks or ProBooks I think... Lenovo, ehm, I have lenovo A-2010 and it´s not possible to shutdown it - broken ON button.

For example panasonic toughbook, but it´s very expensive - extreme example. I thought about it, but "these are not your everyday laptops!"
    At school where I am working as a system admin, we have (among many others) HP ProBook 4330s from 2012 and it is still very good in term of durability i.e. display still opens smoothly.
    Remember, I don´t want compromises - NB should be the most durable yet super fast (for everyday use - app developing, watching movies, not for playing high-end games, video rendering...)

I know that things made in today aren´t very durable - planning obsolescense - use and discard when warranty ends

Many thanks.
    My recommendation would be to either save a little money but a get good, long-lasting system by picking up an IBM Lenovo E455 w/ AMD A6-7000 and boost it up the ram to the max of 16GB DDR3 and replace the hard drive with a good Samsung or Sandisk SSD...or go all out and get an ASUS ROG.

The Lenovo: For several years, this was my daily driver, and I've been able to install everything from Windows XP to Windows 7 on it without any problems and plenty of drivers. Driverpack drp.su has all the AMD drivers and everything you need for Windows 7 even though you can download any drivers you need from AMD or various places. I highly recommend getting the Driverpack (offline installer) first and put it on your external drive for later, that way you never have to worry about wireless drivers. Windows 7 saw wireless right out of the box and audio, but the enhanced chipset drivers and USB 3.0 support drivers were on the driverpack. Linux installs beautifully on it and dual-boots, as does BSD unix. If you like Lubuntu, it works great with it (and you can dual partition Windows if you install Windows first and then linux after more easily). The built-in webcam for it is at least 30fps (up to 60 I think) and always worked well. Has 2 2.0 usb ports and 1 3.0, HDMI out, SD card reader, pretty much everything you need. I got the one that I have around 2015 and up until 2 months ago, it's been my primary system. It's now my backup, but works great still. The battery still holds a charge at over 76% after 4 years and has been used on the go frequently. I have no complaints about this laptop and it's probably the best of the modern Lenovo class that I've owned which does everything you listed and everything I've asked it to for years. If I get another laptop or a backup for my backup (lol), I'd probably get another one, too. There are a few cheaper models with funky buttons...seems like you may have gotten one. Don't get those. Spend a few extra dollars and get a system like the E455 or higher. It's worth it.

The only thing I would personally recommend that would be even more powerful and better for you is an Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX701 laptop (which is what I upgraded to). It's an absolute monster and probably way more than what you're looking for. It costs 6 times as much...literally. But it was worth it.

The Lenovo above cost about $500 plus or minus 90 bucks for the SSD drive replacement (figure on about $450 to $650 on average today). The Asus ROG cost me almost $3,000 but it has raw power that's practically overkill for everything you've listed, and I won't have to upgrade for a very long time with it and neither would you. It came with Windows 10 which I promptly took off of it (I put Windows 7 and Linux on it), and with a little effort was able to get everything working almost like with the Lenovo out of the box. But this thing is a beast. 32GB DDR4 ram running at 2666mhz, 1TB SSD hard drive, 8GB video ram, and 6 core I7-9750H Intel CPU with 12MB cache. The ASUS laptops I"ve used in the past have been mostly great and gone toe-to-toe with the desktops I've had. This is probably more than you want to spend, but if you want one of the best that is available as of the date of this post (November 2019), you can't go wrong with an ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701 laptop.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's so powerful that it drains the battery faster than normal (than what I'm used to at least), but it seems to be easier on the battery when I reduce the brightness and the res from 1920x1080 to 1336X768 and do a few other things. There's power management features as well to turn on and off only what you need with it.

I don't see the Lenovo listed on Amazon anymore, but Ebay still has a few new ones from about $500 (and a few other similar models like the E575 that you can upgrade), but without the SSD drive and half the ram. You can throw another 8 or a 16GB chip there and pick up an SSD from anywhere to replace the hard drive with and still be right at the same price range. This E575 looks like it's available from Florida currently: https://www.ebay.com/c/1076636151

You can search for the existing listings for them here on Ebay (hit or miss, have to figure out which are decent and which need work): https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+E455&_sacat=0

I didn't get my ASUS from Amazon (nor my Lenovo) but you can see the details, specs, and average pricing from Amazon for the ROG here: https://www.amazon.com/Zephyrus-GeForce-i7-9750H-Processor-GX701GX-XB78/dp/B07QSJ6VWQ

You might like a few of the less expensive older Asus models, too. I had one a few years ago that was an Intel core i5 with nice features that rival the Lenovo's above, but what I liked most about it is that it had real metal keys! You don't see that at all on laptops (nor even desktop keyboards) anymore. It had that "clickity clak" that I loved on my old original IBM PC keyboards from yesteryear, and I held onto that laptop a lot longer than I should have for the simple fact that it felt great to type on.

There's still a few good choices that are out there which will not lock you in to Windows 8, Windows 10, or any other madness, but they are harder to come by than they used to be. I haven't used dynabook or Toshibas for years. The last Toshiba I had lasted only for 1 year (Toshiba Satellite model). The motherboard went bad on it just sitting there running a S.M.A.R.T. test on the hard drive and refused to turn on again. Either a capacitor blew or an IC went bad, and that was the last time I ever owned or used one for anything. It wasn't as bad as my Gateway which was really great...until the power supply caught on fire. That was the last time I used Gateway..but I think they're out of business now (or should be!).

Avoid HP if you can help it (had a few issues installing Windows 7 and drivers on them anymore), and have had random HP laptops that would freeze or overheat and simply shutdown without warning.

Especially avoid Chromebooks (glorified android tablets made to look and act like a laptop on the surface, but are only a few steps away from being a $100 digital typewriter and web browser with a graphics screen). Can't do much of anything with them that you wouldn't already do with a basic android device only, and it's not worth the $100-$150 they cost usually for what they offer. Most of them (at least the last ones I used) had such limited storage that you were forced to do everything online and use cloud storage...which means your files might as well be torrents. No thanks HP, I'll pass lol