Thread: Open source gzip interface for Oodle SDK

Thanks

Open source gzip interface for Oodle SDK

I haven't seen this mentioned yet so I thought I'd post it.

https://github.com/jamesbloom/ozip

Tool was made by James Bloom, Charles' brother.

As far as I can tell it uses pretty much every feature of the latest Oodle SDK.

2. Thanks:

Bulat Ziganshin (9th November 2018)

Thanks
    TBH I do not get point of "open source" that demands huge proprietary blob to compile and run. Especially when company behind it proves to be ... actively hostile to learning things around, sending DMCA takedowns to everyone who dares to reverse engineer their bitstreams and implement decompressors, like they recently did on github. So at best it just fake "open", at most it attempt to abuse/grossly misuse buzzwords for highly questionable marketing.

To put it directly, such fake "opensource" brings no usual benefits of opensource solutions ppl usually expect. Therefore its foul play.

Thanks
    The main benefit of this is that it defines the entry points and struct sizes for Oodle's API, the SDK isn't really necessary, if you have the inclination to put some time in you can easily play around with an oodle dll when using this interface as reference.

On Cbloom's blog it says ozip is just an interface they're shipping with Oodle commercially to make the lives of developers using their product easier.

My guess as to why this is even open source might have to do with the fact that there are already a bunch of illegal oodle API's on sketchy forums and Charles or someone else over at RAD had decided to just show us pirates how to use the damn thing. But that just a guess, I have no idea why it's even open source since it make reverse engineering easier.

I remember in another Oodle related thread that certain countries have laws allowing reverse engineering for educational and personal use, you won't get DMCA'd if you don't share it, etc...

I'm pretty sure Charles and Fabian care more about protecting the core technology over some people benchmarking it by playing around with the codecs API.