Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Alternative Browser for FireFox: IRON

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    Alternative Browser for FireFox: IRON

    @ those who like testing new things:

    try that clone of Googles Browser Chrome:

    http://www.srware.net/software_srware_iron_download.php

    Same features but without doubtful things like sending information about the user back to Google

    PS: I think Iron is multilanguage, but I'm not sure, just try it

  2. #2
    Member m^2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ślůnsk, PL
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    This is one of the programs that look promising, but (for me) need to be more developed. I like how fast is it, now way better than FF, but lacks customizability.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    325
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Opera>>>>>>>>>>>>>FF>Iron>Chrome>Saffari>IE etc.

    Iron/Chrome is damned fast though that's about it's only saving grace.

  4. #4
    Tester
    Black_Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    [CZE] Czechia
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Ah, during recent discussions about browsers some Opera fan always comes and tosses any existing browser aside in favor of Opera. Oh well Also see this, for the record, I think of myself as a Firefox experienced user.
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

  5. #5
    Member Vacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    523
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hello everyone,

    I personally like the idea behind Chrome/Iron. But I won't change to it from FF until they implement some of the features that make FF so strong. Mainly plugins are missing...
    I read somewhere, that they will develop an interface for plugins in april or so.

    Best regards!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    325
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    It's just funny that to get all the functionality of Opera in FF you need to install something stupid like 40 addons ;p Bloating it to even more extreme proportions!

    <3 Opera!

  7. #7
    Member m^2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ślůnsk, PL
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrinsic View Post
    It's just funny that to get all the functionality of Opera in FF you need to install something stupid like 40 addons ;p Bloating it to even more extreme proportions!
    Yep. OTOH you can't customize it so well. Especially UI customizability is so missing...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    M?nchen, Germany
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    Yep. OTOH you can't customize it so well. Especially UI customizability is so missing...
    Indeed. There are things I don't like so much in Opera and I can't say that it's noticably faster than FF, but still: The customizability of Opera (e.g. freely definable keyboard shortcuts for most operations where FF does not even have a keyboard shortcut) is way above of all other browsers I know (I cannot say something about IE), and this makes it my favourite & default browser - by far.

    But anyway, I will have a look at iron

  9. #9
    Member d2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    dreams
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Post well

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    Yep. OTOH you can't customize it so well. Especially UI customizability is so missing...
    my thoughts

    iuse a custom firefox built (using it for 3 months+)

    its beats the hell out of everything (chrome neck to neck )

    the thing is firefox is now so widely used it cant be tailor built for all processors/OS

    but since source code is free people compile it according to their machine

    i cant live without "adblock plus" and "noscript"

    When browsing through the builds that are available, you'll see acronyms like SSE, K7, and so on. These are the instruction sets that are used by your system. SSE refers to Pentium 3 and some AMD processors. SSE2 refers to Pentium 4, Pentium M, Pentium Xeon, and some AMD processors. K7 and K8 refer to AMD processors. Other terms: trunk builds are absolutely bleeding edge Firefox releases so they may not be stable while branch builds are usually more optimized and stable. Choose the right build for your system by getting the build that matches your processor and instruction set.

    If you aren't sure what your system configuration is, download CPU-Z, which will list the processor and instruction sets for your computer. Each build is slightly different so you might need to test a few out to see which one works best for your system.
    oh and if any one needs custom compiled firefox ..

    {third party builds official forum}
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=42


    osx g5 optimized
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=256517

    Optimized for Athlon XP and some newer Durons with SSE (-O2 -GA -GL -arch:SSE)
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=92495

    Optimized Mozilla Firefox Build for Linux
    http://getswiftfox.com/

    supports SSE2 instructions
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=62390

    Experimental Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird Community Edition builds
    http://www.vector64.com/


    most downloads are 7zipped
    extract and run -no install - onlyportables

  10. #10
    Member m^2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ślůnsk, PL
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirks View Post
    The customizability of Opera (e.g. freely definable keyboard shortcuts for most operations where FF does not even have a keyboard shortcut) is way above of all other browsers I know
    That's exactly the opposite of what I meant.
    In Opera there is:
    -No way to have tabs with favicons only, ~20 pixels each (to save space)
    -On tab close, to way to switch to the left one
    -No way to to define order in which toolbars are showed.
    -No way to remove (main/context) menu entries
    -Where's spelling correction? With automatic language switching please.
    -Download manager is very uncomfortable for me. I'd rather not use the side bar at all. In FF it sits in the task bar.

    Also:
    -IETab
    -Adblock
    -Update scanner

    All these things are important to me. Not critical, I could give up some for speed, but definitely not all. Additional hotkeys don't make up for this either, especially that I never missed any.


    Optimized builds - cool, but manually updating them would take more time then I'd save.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    M?nchen, Germany
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Let's see
    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    In Opera there is:
    -No way to have tabs with favicons only, ~20 pixels each (to save space)
    There are (at least) 3 answers :
    - You can specify that only the favicons are displayed, but this does not change the tab width, as long as there is enough space.
    - It's not needed anyway: If the tab bar is not configured to wrap around (not wrapping is the default, AFAIK) the tabs are squeezed (compressed) so that they all fit in one line, the text vanishes first and if you still have too many, the favicons become compressed, too. (This depends a bit on skin.)
    - If you really want the tab widths to be limited so that they display the favicon only, this can be done by a skin configuration. I have not yet tried this because the abovementioned behaviour is just right for me, but I know it's possible, although I don't know about a skin that does it.

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    -On tab close, to way to switch to the left one.
    Opera 9.64 has several options for which tab should be switched to when a tab is closed. Right now my favourite is "open first tab that has been opened by the actual one". I admid, not everything that might be thinkable is possible right now. So, point taken.

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    -No way to to define order in which toolbars are showed.
    Strictly considered, that's right - you can only select if a specific toolbar should be visible at the top, bottom, left, right, or not at all, but not their order. There have been complaints about this.

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    -No way to remove (main/context) menu entries
    ... but you can disable that menu completely and put custom buttons for the pieces you want into another bar.

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    -Where's spelling correction? With automatic language switching please.
    Spelling correction comes with 10.x which is now in beta state. But AFAIK not with automatic language switching. Does FF have automatic language switching? How does it decide which language it must use?

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    -Download manager is very uncomfortable for me. I'd rather not use the side bar at all. In FF it sits in the task bar.
    Agreed, the download manager is IMHO poor. But I don't like the one of FF much better. Alas, no need to use the side bar, you can open the download manager in a tab That's what I always do, I dislike the side bar and hardly ever use it.


    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    Also:
    -IETab
    What is that / what does it do?

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    -Adblock
    Built in. But not as simple as the one of FF, maybe.

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    -Update scanner
    Opera tells you when there is a new version of Opera. No update information for skins, no update info for plugins (as there are no plugins like for FF) or buttons or UserJavaScript or UserStyleSheets. Point taken. Hm. (I must admit that I hate the "new version" popups of FF.) Or... what exactly should an update scanner do?

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    All these things are important to me. Not critical, I could give up some for speed, but definitely not all. Additional hotkeys don't make up for this either, especially that I never missed any.
    Well, it's a matter of being used to some behaviour Opera has a builtin mail client that I never used and mouse gestures that can trigger lots of events, also never used by me. I bet some of the stuff you want can be done with custom buttons, but of course, it would be a bit different.

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    Optimized builds - cool, but manually updating them would take more time then I'd save.
    Indeed... Even though it's easier than manually updating FF, according to my experiences. The new version 10.0 will have an update-from-within feature (update, restart browser, done), so you need to select the right version only once.

    In terms of customability, the only advantage of FF over Opera are the plugins. Opera has widgets instead. Much less powerfull but they don't create a potential security problem.

    I consider myself as a "critical fanboy" of Opera, so to say IMHO, there are some things that FF does better, but most of the time I like the Opera method better - and I got used to Opera. So, better don't use Opera too often - Once you discover its superiority(?) over FF, you will not want to go back


  12. #12
    Member m^2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ślůnsk, PL
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirks View Post
    Let's see

    There are (at least) 3 answers :
    - You can specify that only the favicons are displayed, but this does not change the tab width, as long as there is enough space.
    - It's not needed anyway: If the tab bar is not configured to wrap around (not wrapping is the default, AFAIK) the tabs are squeezed (compressed) so that they all fit in one line, the text vanishes first and if you still have too many, the favicons become compressed, too. (This depends a bit on skin.)
    - If you really want the tab widths to be limited so that they display the favicon only, this can be done by a skin configuration. I have not yet tried this because the abovementioned behaviour is just right for me, but I know it's possible, although I don't know about a skin that does it.
    I want to save space because when tabs are closer, switching with mouse is quicker, so even if I have just 10, it's beneficial to have them smaller. But point 3 seems fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by dirks View Post
    Opera 9.64 has several options for which tab should be switched to when a tab is closed. Right now my favourite is "open first tab that has been opened by the actual one". I admid, not everything that might be thinkable is possible right now. So, point taken.
    I often open temporary tabs and want to go back on close. "The last opened one" option would work here, but in other cases jumping all over the tab bar distracts me.

    Quote Originally Posted by dirks View Post
    Spelling correction comes with 10.x which is now in beta state. But AFAIK not with automatic language switching. Does FF have automatic language switching? How does it decide which language it must use?
    With addon - it does. Sadly, FF is a build-it-yourself solution. The addon reads what you type and tries to find your words in all available dictionaries. Don't know the exact algorithm.


    Quote Originally Posted by dirks View Post
    Agreed, the download manager is IMHO poor. But I don't like the one of FF much better. Alas, no need to use the side bar, you can open the download manager in a tab That's what I always do, I dislike the side bar and hardly ever use it.
    I think it worse than FF for me, but probably not a problem this way.

    Quote Originally Posted by dirks View Post
    What is that / what does it do?
    Uses IE to render specified tabs. Useful with online scanners, some support sites etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by dirks View Post
    Built in. But not as simple as the one of FF, maybe.
    Is there a fast way to add rules? I do it often.

    Quote Originally Posted by dirks View Post
    Opera tells you when there is a new version of Opera. No update information for skins, no update info for plugins (as there are no plugins like for FF) or buttons or UserJavaScript or UserStyleSheets. Point taken. Hm. (I must admit that I hate the "new version" popups of FF.) Or... what exactly should an update scanner do?
    I thought this will need explanation.
    Update scanner doesn't update FF. It periodically scans specified websites and reports when they change. Like RSS on sites that don't support it.

    Quote Originally Posted by dirks View Post
    Well, it's a matter of being used to some behaviour Opera has a builtin mail client that I never used and mouse gestures that can trigger lots of events, also never used by me. I bet some of the stuff you want can be done with custom buttons, but of course, it would be a bit different.

    Indeed... Even though it's easier than manually updating FF, according to my experiences. The new version 10.0 will have an update-from-within feature (update, restart browser, done), so you need to select the right version only once.

    In terms of customability, the only advantage of FF over Opera are the plugins. Opera has widgets instead. Much less powerfull but they don't create a potential security problem.

    I consider myself as a "critical fanboy" of Opera, so to say IMHO, there are some things that FF does better, but most of the time I like the Opera method better - and I got used to Opera. So, better don't use Opera too often - Once you discover its superiority(?) over FF, you will not want to go back

    Actually I thought that at least some of the problems I have with Opera can be solved some way and you showed them to me.
    Still, it's not worth the change for me. With the programs I use the most, ergonomics is the most important thing and web browser is one of them.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    M?nchen, Germany
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I pick the more interesting points only:

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    Uses IE to render specified tabs. Useful with online scanners, some support sites etc.
    I know about an "Open in FF" button, most likely there is one for IE, too. It opens the address of the actual tab in the other browser. It cannot use the other browser to render a page within an Opera-tab - AFAIK.

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    Is there a fast way to add rules? I do it often.
    Hmm, it requires a few clicks... 3 to 5, maybe, depending from where you start counting.

    That about update scanners is interesting. Right now I believe that Opera cannot do it... yet... or, something like that might be possible with a widget.

    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    Actually I thought that at least some of the problems I have with Opera can be solved some way and you showed them to me.


    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    Still, it's not worth the change for me. With the programs I use the most, ergonomics is the most important thing and web browser is one of them.
    Agreed!

  14. #14
    Tester
    Black_Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    [CZE] Czechia
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Opera is very good for PDA surfing (didn't try Phenec so far)...

    Did anyone try this http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/ ? It's a browser JavaScript benchmark, currently in beta stage...

    Results for my old laptop:
    SRWare Iron 2.0.168.0: 496
    Firefox 3.0.7: 301
    Internet Explorer 7: 112
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Similar Threads

  1. Alternative paq8px builds
    By M4ST3R in forum Download Area
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 25th June 2010, 17:19
  2. Alternative paq8pxpre builds
    By M4ST3R in forum Download Area
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th January 2010, 18:51
  3. Alternative timer
    By Bulat Ziganshin in forum The Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th July 2009, 04:16
  4. Alternative to Rapidshare
    By Bulat Ziganshin in forum The Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14th March 2009, 16:47
  5. jZip – a free alternative to WinZip
    By LovePimple in forum Forum Archive
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31st August 2007, 14:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •