Thread: Optimized compression codecs on Intel's Clear Linux

Thanks

Optimized compression codecs on Intel's Clear Linux

Hi all – It looks like Intel's Clear Linux distro ships with optimized compression codecs. They wrote a post about it here, and you can see the graphs for how much of a difference it makes – they seem pretty small, but I'd rather have them than not have them.

For the XZ/LZMA program, it looks like maybe the only thing they did was use O3. For zlib, I think they did more than that. Intel has an optimized zlib library here, and I think there's also one that was geared toward genetic data – it's not clear which optimized library they're using in Clear Linux.

2. Thanks (3):

Cyan (10th March 2017),inikep (10th March 2017),JamesB (10th March 2017)

Thanks
    Zstandard is getting a lot of positive buzz. Good work, Yann.

Thanks
    Nice report, but they miss out entirely the decompression speeds. This is very different and you may draw different conclusions. Eg xz -1 is better than gzip -9; maybe not if you care about rapid uncompression. Similarly the bzip2 vs xz graphs, and of course we all know zstd is very fast at decompression.

Thanks
    The discussion of speed/compression was not very well-done imo. It showed graphs of compressor performance without revealing the source data it was tested on. Clearly, the data being compressed has an enormous impact on speed/performance, particularly when comparing different compressors based on completely different algorithms.

The discussion here and people's blogs are at a much higher level.

IME, bzip2 and xz can both be slow, and sometimes xz is much slower. My sense is that xz is more variable depending on input and is prone to bad cases. bzip2 is just doing the BWT on blocks; there's only so much it can slow down, while xz/lzma depends on an enormous variety of tricks.

Thanks
    Yeah, it wasn't very rigorous wrt identifying the data and decompression performance. And I think replacing zlib with a clean-sheet effort like libdeflate would be best in the end.

LZMA still surprises me – it's #1 in ratio on Turbo Bench right now: https://github.com/powturbo/TurboBench

LzTurbo surprises me too – it looks like... the best general purpose compression codec on earth. If it's as good as reported in these benchmarks, I'm surprised people don't talk about it more. I'm vaguely aware of an issue Bulat has with its code use / license issues, but that wouldn't explain why no one talks about it. I wonder if there's a catch, like a huge CPU hit or something.