Thread: Pre-compressor project. Seeking collaboration.

Thanks

Talking Pre-compressor project. Seeking collaboration.

Hi fellows

I believe a pre-compressor could be done, that represents the same information in less bytes, but without getting it into random data. Just like a dictionary compressor and some (almost a dozen) added concepts. Then running through paq should compress more than the initial data, as it weights less than that. Razor Occam's right?

I had an injury for 2 months which allowed me to start working on it, but now I have to work again and I think I won't finish it in years (also the concepts and programming are very hard to implement for my skill level). I looked for help of friends but they either lack skill or time.

Skills needed beyond OOP programming are regex, basic algorithms and math multicombinations. It's on PHP right now because it's the language I worked with for the last years. But it's just a draft easily translatable for a fresh start in C. It's like 12 classes over 2k lines so far. It wouldn't take double than that.

I could only test on parts of the project, but I already have think of all the implementation, which could be in the future the basis for an IA-like program that compresses.

For example, taking only all the words in the enwik weight like 80mb and could be compressed into 18mb in my first trials. I thought of a way of improving this that would shrink size a few mb.
    I believe that symbols weight 10mb and could be compressed on less than 3 mb.
    The other 10mb are part of the added concepts and should be addressed with the mixin of the concepts, weighting a negligible size, like would be the size of the program <1mb.

I believe it could fit to the max of 1gb mem use (for the hutter prize) and decompress in less than an hour on a modern computer, making it suitable for end users so a potential later bussiness.

Compression could take 3 days for enwik8 on uncapped resources modern machine (cpu i7@2.5-3.2, 8Gb ram). But the point is compress once, decompress a lot, right?

So I'm looking for one or a max of 2 collaborator to finish my idea into code.
    It should be a committed trustworthy loyal person with the skills previously mentioned.
    Work could take few months of half day spare time. If interested send me a PM, with your github profile if you have or code samples.

Best case, we start by winning the hutterprize, worst case, we do a compressor better than winrar

Thanks
    Every so ofte this forum get some new person which first post is about some technical breakthorugh comrpession theroy that should work but always seems to be missing the programmer to make it.
    All of these has so far been theories full of flaws and misunderstanding of what data is and how simple math works.

now I'm not saying this is the situation here but its very hard to see the difference, so you are starting an uphill battle on the PR side. You post shows nothing of indication that you really have anything worthy of peoples attention. please let me explain this.
    you don't explain anything about what this idea is. You mention some compression data numbers but again with no argument or evidence where these numbers comes from.
    also I'm not even sure you are using Occams's razor in the correct context here.

So even if you have a great new idea, the way you represent it makes you look just like all the other "magicians" out there that think they somehow broke math.
    Without further info its probably going to be hard to get people to work on your project

3. Thanks:

Cristo (7th August 2016)

Thanks
    Part of the process of discovering and inventing is throwing magic ideas.
    Then once in a while some of them work. Or maybe I'm just a fool again.

I'll briefly explain my idea of processor. Usually the dictionaries are limited in size or by any other factor, like computational. I thought of how to get into dictionaries or process all type of data and info in the enwik file, so everything could be represented in less bytes than it is, but without converting it in random-like/binary data, so the pre-compressor just changes the way in which the data is represented using dictionaries and other techniques, but is not strictly compressing. Just getting the lesser value to represent it. (That was the occam principle similarity, shaving the symbols to the simpler possible, which would be obvious but is not done)

The various classes or categories are: wikipages, xml, tags, markdown, phrases, words, numbers including things like dates and ips, punctuation marks. Then there are content mixer/un-mixers.

The resulting file weights less than the original but is not compressed yet. Then a binary compressor should compress it more than the original file because it doesn't care about what the symbols represent.

Compare for example:
    Lorem ipsum Lorem ipsum Lorem ipsum

and

Lorem
    ipsum
    lilili

being the program size negligible the second one should be compressed less.
    Here for words. Same for all the classes of data.

5. Thanks:

SolidComp (18th August 2016)

Thanks
    Have you looked at XWRT?

7. Thanks (2):

Cristo (9th August 2016),SolidComp (18th August 2016)

Thanks
    I didn't know about that, will take a look at the github next weekend I can. Seems like I had a similar idea for one of my concepts.

XWRT 3.4 (5.11.2007) - XML compressor by P.Skibinski, inikep@gmail.com
    * Compression level=13
    - encoding enwik8 to enwik8.xwrt (lpaq6 774 MB)
    warning: dictionary too big, you can use -b option to increase buffer size
    + dynamic dictionary 352133/524288 words
    + loaded dictionary 16639/559168 words
    + dynamic dictionary 16639/559168 words
    + encoding finished (100000000->18805611 bytes, 1.504 bpc) in 79.42s (1230 kb/s)
    Last edited by Cristo; 9th August 2016 at 20:39.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristo View Post
    Part of the process of discovering and inventing is throwing magic ideas.
    Then once in a while some of them work. Or maybe I'm just a fool again.

I'll briefly explain my idea of processor. Usually the dictionaries are limited in size or by any other factor, like computational. I thought of how to get into dictionaries or process all type of data and info in the enwik file, so everything could be represented in less bytes than it is, but without converting it in random-like/binary data, so the pre-compressor just changes the way in which the data is represented using dictionaries and other techniques, but is not strictly compressing. Just getting the lesser value to represent it. (That was the occam principle similarity, shaving the symbols to the simpler possible, which would be obvious but is not done)

The various classes or categories are: wikipages, xml, tags, markdown, phrases, words, numbers including things like dates and ips, punctuation marks. Then there are content mixer/un-mixers.

The resulting file weights less than the original but is not compressed yet. Then a binary compressor should compress it more than the original file because it doesn't care about what the symbols represent.

Compare for example:
    Lorem ipsum Lorem ipsum Lorem ipsum

and

Lorem
    ipsum
    lilili

being the program size negligible the second one should be compressed less.
    Here for words. Same for all the classes of data.
    Cristo, how familiar are you with Huffman coding? I like where you're going with this, but be advised that Huffman coding already achieves something much like the compact dictionary that you describe. Deflate uses LZ77 for the string matching, and then compresses the symbols with Huffman coding. So for example, if we have an often repeated string like:

<div class="
    we're not actually going to store it as that literal 12-byte string. It will be assigned a much smaller symbol.

Your idea would reduce the uncompressed size, if the compact form were directly processed by the consuming application, which is helpful (less RAM, faster parsing). But as Kennon said, XWRT covers some of this ground, as does the XPack XML compressor. Check it out.

Thanks
    I think a good idea is the pre compressor know which compressor will be used before the pre compression.

Thanks
    @SolidComp, I read but not practised almost anything from the matt mahoney website/book, covering almost all types of coding. I know huffman, but not so familiar. I'm noob with LZxx but maybe describing the way it works it rings the bell. I know the theory of the sliding windows.

One of the points of my idea would address the tags like div getting them as a dictionary entry. I read that xwrt does something like that. I tried to read the code at github but is all one file 2k lines and a bit thick.

For the previous answers I was going to code a proof of concept next so I could get people interested. I was going to use something like huffman at the end of the dict replace or at least the concept of the least bytes for the most common entries.
    I am very bad with math/theory and names (of coding, etc...) I'm more like a dirty hacker, logic and know some algorithms. (I have a Vocational Training on IT systems and worked as programmer)

@lunaris or just use the best compressor for the output of the precompressor. Like I choosed paq_kx after reading on benchmarks that it's the best for binary data. But I'm rethinking this as I change the implementation

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristo View Post
    @SolidComp, I read but not practised almost anything from the matt mahoney website/book, covering almost all types of coding. I know huffman, but not so familiar. I'm noob with LZxx but maybe describing the way it works it rings the bell. I know the theory of the sliding windows.

One of the points of my idea would address the tags like div getting them as a dictionary entry. I read that xwrt does something like that. I tried to read the code at github but is all one file 2k lines and a bit thick.

For the previous answers I was going to code a proof of concept next so I could get people interested. I was going to use something like huffman at the end of the dict replace or at least the concept of the least bytes for the most common entries.
    I am very bad with math/theory and names (of coding, etc...) I'm more like a dirty hacker, logic and know some algorithms. (I have a Vocational Training on IT systems and worked as programmer)

@lunaris or just use the best compressor for the output of the precompressor. Like I choosed paq_kx after reading on benchmarks that it's the best for binary data. But I'm rethinking this as I change the implementation
    It's a good idea allow to choose which compressor to use because each compressor needs different pre compressor options.

For example ,A LZ77 precompressor sometimes does not work well using paq compressors.
    Last edited by lunaris; 21st August 2016 at 02:59.