Thread: THE ICE AGE IS COMMING

Thanks

THE ICE AGE IS COMMING

I feel sad that so much science is wasted in the world. I almost think Al Gore and his underlings should be tried for treason and that his fake Nobel Prize should be stripped from him. I worked at NASA I know in recent years its lost its way. I hope some day that common sense will take root again and Political Correctness and the hiring of scientist is not longer based on ones race or political beliefs. The world is indeed more likely on the brink of an ICE AGE

http://english.pravda.ru/science/earth/106922-0/

I just wish papers like the New York Times could finally wake up to this fact.

Thank You
    David

Thanks
    Gore getting the Nobel Prize was a joke, regardless of what it was about as there were plent of people before him(he just did it for PR) who've studied the subject all their life.

As to what's happening up there i have no clue, but i've seen several documentaries that also say we are due for another ice age, and the earth is no stranger to temperature fluctations. Only time will tell.

Expert
    Thanks
    Well, an ice age is coming in 20,000 years according to the Pravda article. I don't disagree with that. But in the last 200 years the fraction of CO2 in the air has increased from 0.028% to 0.038%, and in the last 20 years the earth has gotten warmer. Those are just simple facts. You can debate whether that's a problem or not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    But in the last 200 years the fraction of CO2 in the air has increased from 0.028% to 0.038% ...
    Has it always been at 0.028% prior to the last 200 years?

in the last 20 years the earth has gotten warmer.
    Warmer relative to what?

Those are just simple facts
    Stating two facts doesn't mean that the two have anything to do with
    one another.

You can debate whether that's a problem or not.
    Start by determining if the two facts have anything to do with one another. Only after that, move on to the cause and only after that move on to determining if it is a problem.

global warming is junk science that only bothers to gather "facts" to prove it's preconceived conclusions.

Tester
    Thanks
    My current experience and opinion is similar to this, but take it as a joke anyway

michael maniscalco: As it seems from Matt's post, earlier than 200 years there was no equipment to measure CO2's fraction this precise, and earth has become warmer to itself 20 years ago.
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Expert
    Thanks
    The facts can be found here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

Most of the controversy is what should we do about it, if anything. IMHO the changes will happen slowly enough that we will adapt. I think that population growth, overfishing, and turning forests into farmland will have a much bigger impact on the environment than a small rise in temperature and sea levels.

Thanks
    Well, an ice age is coming in 20,000 years according to the Pravda article. I don't disagree with that. But in the last 200 years the fraction of CO2 in the air has increased from 0.028% to 0.038%, and in the last 20 years the earth has gotten warmer. Those are just simple facts. You can debate whether that's a problem or not.
    Matt I reread the article and I don't see where it predicts a 20,000 year wait. The article claims ice age last about 100,000 years and warming spells about last about 12,000. Its quite possible you will see major changes in a very few years. Nasa has been guessing wrong about the sun for years. The sun has been behaving rather strange for the last few years. NASA GISS is rather foolishly saying that 2009 or 2010 will be the warmest year on record. I think they use rectal retrival to get their facts. It just for a political agenda. We are headed for cold weather really cold.
    But I am wishing for a warmer world with more CO2 so that we can grow more plants and feed ourselves.

Dave

Thanks
    The facts can be found here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

Most of the controversy is what should we do about it, if anything. IMHO the changes will happen slowly enough that we will adapt. I think that population growth, overfishing, and turning forests into farmland will have a much bigger impact on the environment than a small rise in temperature and sea levels.
    Actually a better source of facts can be found here.
    http://icecap.us/index.php

I worked on many simulations for Uncle Sam. The facts are if the managers or Admirals don't like the anwsers we "improve on them" till one gets the anwsers one wants. Simulation is like masterbation you do it often enough you begin to think its the real thing.

Thanks

oh come on

hey ppl

this is no lab experiment

we've got only 1 earth

better safe than sorry

suppose we avert global warming

ice age ppl will say see i told you so no "global warming"

suppose this doesnt happen

we all fry hows that we need data ..but there is no alternative we have nothing to compare it with

better err on side of caution