Thread: File system repercussion on benchmarks

Thanks

Question File system repercussion on benchmarks

Is wide known benchmarks are essential to development in data compression algorithms. There are plenty of them, and every time a packer is released, we look at some of the more important to see how they perform.

In order to make possible a comparison on other machines, each benchmark specifies CPU speed, SS.OO. installed, RAM model and son on.

What I haven't realized is how much file systems impacts on speed... For example, I just made precomp run 7x faster just by moving the test file from a NTFS partition to an ext4 on the same disk. You can argue and say that Linux implementation of NTFS driver isn't that good as native, and that's probably true. But I don't think it justifies 7x slowdown...
    Of course, precomp is a somehow special case because it makes an intensive use of very small temp files. But even if the final difference is not that big, it could still be big enough to pay attention.

So, what are your impressions? Have you seen something like that before? What are the numbers in your hard drives? Maybe we should start including HD type and FS used on every benchmark.

Thanks
    I have encountered speed oddities when running compression tests, such as compressing a second time can be done in under half the time of the first. Here's a log of a test with such speed results http://pastebin.com/T4K4LUig, tested on a 1TB Western Digital Red (NTFS format). I know the cache on the drive is too small to give it this much of a speed advantage on enwik9, I'm curious as to what's actually going on during that second test.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I have encountered speed oddities when running compression tests, such as compressing a second time can be done in under half the time of the first. Here's a log of a test with such speed results http://pastebin.com/T4K4LUig, tested on a 1TB Western Digital Red (NTFS format). I know the cache on the drive is too small to give it this much of a speed advantage on enwik9, I'm curious as to what's actually going on during that second test.
    Maybe OO.SS. caché in RAM? I have such a speed-up on fast compressors like lz4 on test files up to 1gb approximately. That's usually my free RAM.

Thanks
    This goes way back to windows 2000 times

but back then i would format my smaller partions into fat 32 because if small speed gains. that would typically be my temp partition which does recieve a lot of small file writes.
    NTFS do have a bigger overhead compared to FAT32. but NTFS has some benefits in regards to Data safety

Thanks
    On Windows and Linux you can try telling the OS to remove a file from the cache before using it. Something along the lines of:

static void
    clear_file_from_cache(const char *name)
    {
    #if defined(_WIN32) || defined(__CYGWIN__)
    HANDLE hFile = INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE;

hFile = CreateFile(name, GENERIC_READ, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING,
    FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL | FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING, NULL);

if (hFile != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {
    CloseHandle(hFile);
    }
    #else
    int fd = -1;

fd = open(name, O_RDONLY);

if (fd != -1) {
    fdatasync(fd);
    posix_fadvise(fd, 0, 0, POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED);
    close(fd);
    }
    #endif
    }

Thanks
    The problem is correlated with very big dataset, and advanced filesystems.

For example I use very often zfs on my machine, with already built-in LZ compression,hash cheking and (sometimes) even deduplication.

So for my test I use ramdisk for ~60GB (I have a 128GB machine), but into real world (say 1TB) using SSD or spinning disk is necessary.