Thread: Exdupe error "Unknown flag -x"

Thanks

Exdupe error "Unknown flag -x"

Guys do not understand how to change the compression level to exdupe 0.5.0.
    Using this line of command to compress a data folder:
    Code:
    exdupe -x3 -m4096 -t8 -o <stdin> <stdout>
    if I add the compression level by me error.."Unknown flag -x".

Code:
    -xn Use compression level n for traditional  		data compression applied after
    		          deduplication. Set  		n = 0 for none (lets you apply your own), x = 1 for
    		          QuickLZ, x = 2 for  		zlib or x = 3 for bzip2 (default = 1)
    You tell me where I'm wrong? Thankk.

Thanks
    The version available for Windows on www.quicklz.com/exdupe is the 0.3. Check your version of exdupe.

If you have the latest version 0.5, try with files and no standard input/output.

Thanks
    The version is 0.5 and it works on w7x64, the problem that if I add the "-X3" option on the command line gives me unknown error flag.
    if I do not add the "-X3" option the compression it is successful, but the compression level is very low.
    the version 0.3 can not find it.

Thanks
    Btw. maybe zpaq http://mattmahoney.net/dc/zpaq.html is a thing for you? Should be better in any cases. According this site the benchmark was processed with exdupe 0.5.1b maybe this version does the trick. Note the option is a "-x" and not a "-X"

Thanks
    it is a typing error, I meant "-x", but I think of abandoning exdupe, the compression level is very low and not updated for a long time.
    the problem I am trying to compress a file format (*.dat) content within a game of a folder, or tried and studied in depth all the compressors with their algorithms with different combinations of methods and masks, but the compression level is always low, almost equal to the original file.

I tested the different types of compressors: exdupe, fp8, lzham, lzt, msc, nz, reflate, srep, zcm, zpaq, 7z, zstd, paq8px_75 & paq8pxd_v16, combinations with methods in various versions "precomp 0.38 until 0.45" (precomp0.38 It remains the most stable).

Nothing to do the compression level is always low, in comparison to this team, without making name, managed to compress a data folder 22GB to almost 50% = 11GB.
    I can not understand or imagine which compressor or method it was used, also tried EMMA, the same ratio in the above mentioned list compressors.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eppesuig View Post
    it is a typing error, I meant "-x", but I think of abandoning exdupe, the compression level is very low and not updated for a long time.
    the problem I am trying to compress a file format (*.dat) content within a game of a folder, or tried and studied in depth all the compressors with their algorithms with different combinations of methods and masks, but the compression level is always low, almost equal to the original file.

I tested the different types of compressors: exdupe, fp8, lzham, lzt, msc, nz, reflate, srep, zcm, zpaq, 7z, zstd, paq8px_75 & paq8pxd_v16, combinations with methods in various versions "precomp 0.38 until 0.45" (precomp0.38 It remains the most stable).

Nothing to do the compression level is always low, in comparison to this team, without making name, managed to compress a data folder 22GB to almost 50% = 11GB.
    I can not understand or imagine which compressor or method it was used, also tried EMMA, the same ratio in the above mentioned list compressors.
    Do you have a sample of the data which needs to compress?

Thanks
    I have a whole data folder to be compressed, the folder contains several files "*.dat" of several GB, I have performed tests only on a "file.dat of 75MB" to save time and check the compression ratio of different algorithms and compressors.

Thanks
    Guys the files "*.dat" in question are video files... I can open them with VLC media player... someone knows some compressor to compress multimedia files, the only one I know of is "Media Streams Compressor" (MSC) but compresses almost nothing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eppesuig View Post
    Guys the files "*.dat" in question are video files... I can open them with VLC media player... someone knows some compressor to compress multimedia files, the only one I know of is "Media Streams Compressor" (MSC) but compresses almost nothing.
    Depends which type of file for MPG exists a recompressor so far I know also for h264 both were mentioned here in the forum so far I can remember, if it's not h264 you might consider a lossless decompression with h264 or h265

Thanks
    Is a windows media format this is the information, wanting to do some tests to compress and archiving what recommended.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	data.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	4241