Thread: Data Compression Crisis

Thanks

Exclamation Data Compression Crisis

It's sad, but we all survive serious Data Compression crisis. At almost all benchmarks are closed - only Matt's LTCB regular updated. MaximumCompression.com is dead. UCLC is also dead. SqueezeChart is also not in the game (well, Stephan emailed me and said that all will be OK). All other small and not so small benchmarks are out. A very few compressors are in development right now. It's sad...

I still remember the time then I released my software nearly new day=new version, and a few benchmarks updated immediately. That's right, MaximumCompression.com was updated every single day, even if only my program was released. I very miss the PDF version of SqueezeChart with cool comments and news about what's going on...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by encode View Post
    It's sad, but we all survive serious Data Compression crisis. At almost all benchmarks are closed - only Matt's LTCB regular updated. MaximumCompression.com is dead. UCLC is also dead. SqueezeChart is also not in the game (well, Stephan emailed me and said that all will be OK). All other small and not so small benchmarks are out. A very few compressors are in development right now. It's sad...

I still remember the time then I released my software nearly new day=new version, and a few benchmarks updated immediately. That's right, MaximumCompression.com was updated every single day, even if only my program was released. I very miss the PDF version of SqueezeChart with cool comments and news about what's going on...
    I think its due to the world wide DPRESSION I have talked to people
    where I use to work. The people who run things now adays are control
    freaks who know nothing about science. I once worked at NASA. Now
    look how it seems to magically change data to fit with the phony Global
    Warming people. Don't get me wrong I am for my country but the quality
    of our sicentists are way below what it was when we did the first men on
    the moon. It's highly unlikely that with the sad state of educaltion that is
    occuring in the United States that we will ever be capable of puting a man
    on the moon again. The PC managers want uneducated workers where ones
    race counts far more that true ability will not be able to pull it off. I suspect
    except for China and Inida the I.Q. of our scientists and the ability to get
    a good education is almost all but gone.
    People just don't care. Its almost as if you get punished for trying
    to do the right thing. So its easier to sit back down a few beers and
    let the world crumble.

biject

Thanks
    Unfortunately you are right. There is no update in near past. I really missed SqueezeChart and MaximumCompression.

For my personal projects, I wait until an improvement becomes mature. Also, parameter optimization makes longer a version release. So, maybe some other people become thinking as me.

I also really missed an active CM discussion.
    BIT Archiver homepage: www.osmanturan.com

Tester
    Thanks

Hi!

The fact that my MOC Test is not perhaps considered is positive because is anchors in life! I believe Ilia that the problem as more times have said is tied up to the fact that types of file are chosen (Maximum compression) strange and a little used in a PC today! Above all the test is not put On-line for possible verifications and to improve the compression! Who wants to be a tester is had to make of the creators of the programs available!

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by encode View Post
    I still remember the time then I released my software nearly new day=new version, and a few benchmarks updated immediately. That's right, MaximumCompression.com was updated every single day, even if only my program was released.
    Every minute if you want, look at the last ten test files http://www.metacompressor.com/submit.aspx

Thanks
    Well, somehow i feel the same. When i joind this forum there was far more discussion and i was happy to find a place like that...

Expert
    Thanks
    Well, besides LTCB and my new generic benchmark, MOC is updated regularly. I tried metacompressor, but I could not figure out how to submit tests. What is the "code" I need to enter?

Anyway, anyone can start a new benchmark. What type of data do you think is important to compress?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    Well, besides LTCB and my new generic benchmark, MOC is updated regularly. I tried metacompressor, but I could not figure out how to submit tests. What is the "code" I need to enter?

Anyway, anyone can start a new benchmark. What type of data do you think is important to compress?
    You can find the code somewhere in the metacompressor thread.

Expert
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biject.bwts View Post
    It's highly unlikely that with the sad state of educaltion that is
    occuring in the United States that we will ever be capable of puting a man
    on the moon again.
    biject
    IMHO putting people in space is a waste of money. You can do much better science with robots like the ones on Mars now. If people want to go into space, let them buy their own ticket. We got lots of good science from the Hubble telescope. What did we ever get from the space station besides a $20 million tourist destination?

Expert
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    You can find the code somewhere in the metacompressor thread.
    Thanks. I found it.

Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    IMHO putting people in space is a waste of money.
    As these research results could once be used to colonize some other planet(s) before humanity wipes itself from Earth, it's not that much of a waste of money. Also, after some resources here start to run out, space mining will earn much more money than today's research spends But you're right that putting people in space just to say "We people of <insert country name here> are as good as you Americans/Russians!" is pointless.
    Last edited by Black_Fox; 8th January 2009 at 18:59.
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Thanks
    Well, in my opinion people will never live outside planet Earth. And it's about physiology. Today, only highly trained super-man/woman can leave the earth for some time. Anyway, such overloads will cause serious health issues. Even serious athletes are very ill people. A regular human should be in balance between stress and relaxation, in other words golden ratio is live. Or live is golden ratio. Being all time in stress or all time in relaxation is worst thing here. Most likely, a nuclear war will destroy human being, in one beautiful day, not a comet or UFO... It might be even sooner than we all may expect...

Tester
    Thanks
    Of course, but there will be children born on another planets... And in the future far, far away there will be teleports, wormholes or something physically non-demanding. Up to that time, scientists only have to find out, how to compress as much fuel as possible into a rocket...
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Thanks
    Man has to leave earth soon or face extinction. I think life is all over the universe. Its just when intelligent life reaches the level we have it either kills itself or makes the jump to space. Our galaxy is very old there are similar older stars like our sun. Several must have made it to our level. Yet there is no trace of them. They must have died. I for one would be willing to take a one way trip to Mars with a science team. Even if it meant sure death after only a few months on Mars. We need to take chances to expand or we will face totally death for mankind like what has most likely happened to previous
    civilizations in our galaxy.

Maybe robots could do it better but there not here. We also need to advance AI I suspose its even possible to creat robots that will carry on after we go extinct but again where are they from the older civilizations in this galaxy. I don't see any real evidence for them so I think the typical life cycle is to advance to nuclear weapons and then death. Of course death could come about to a civilization in many ways. Over population and disease or depletion of natural resouses or a comet impact. Or may a mental break down due to evolution. We don't seem interested in propagating intelligent people only those who are athletic or PC. I fear mankind could enter a new dark age where out species will not be able to survive. We are at a tipping point something must be done or else all chance of expanding through the universe will be lost for ever.

Expert
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biject.bwts View Post
    Man has to leave earth soon or face extinction.
    I don't think that is the solution. We worry about terrorists delivering nukes to major U.S. and Israeli cities in the trunks of cars, but they don't have enough bombs to kill everyone, and there is no possibility to retaliate with more nukes.

The real threat is that we will use technology and AI to lower humans on the food chain in a misguided attempt to achieve immortality. You can view it as extinction, or you can view it as our evolution into a non DNA based life form.
    http://www.mattmahoney.net/singularity.html

I suppose my contribution to this technology doesn't help.
    http://www.mattmahoney.net/agi2.html

terry31
    Alternative energy sources are, I think,
    and there is that direction which will deduce the world from crisis.
    The epoch of oil and gas monopolies will end.