Thread: Any info about AIN?

Thanks

Any info about AIN?

I recall AIN in the good old DOS days by Transas Marine. Almost as fast as Pkzip, equivalent compression ratios to LHA or better, and almost as many features as ARJ.
    Any information about it? Just curious.

Thanks
    AIN was very good and fast, I actually liked it as much as pkzip back in the DOS days. The latest version I could find is 2.32. Another competetor was the ESP achiver and, better yet, the DOS versions of ACE archiver which were as fast and used the PMODE extender which gave 32-bit performance in ~1997 and supported dictionaries up to 1024 kb at that time as well.

3. Thanks:

nikkho (6th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thank you very much for your reply zyzzle.

Regarding AIN, I am still investigating about it, not sure if Transas Marine is the same as transas.com

I liked a lot its speed, and compression ratio. As they said, as fast as Pkzip, and compressing even better as ARJ. It was even capable of working on old 8086 based CPU.

Ace, was a dfferent history, being a Watcom PMODE program, it required a 386 or later, and about 8 Mb. of RAM to use biggest dictionary. At the end, it was not much faster that the RAR 2.5 of the time, nor got better compression ratios. Keeping in mind, that RAR only used on real mode DOS versions 64 Kb. dictionaries.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkho View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply zyzzle.

Regarding AIN, I am still investigating about it, not sure if Transas Marine is the same as transas.com

I liked a lot its speed, and compression ratio. As they said, as fast as Pkzip, and compressing even better as ARJ. It was even capable of working on old 8086 based CPU.

Ace, was a dfferent history, being a Watcom PMODE program, it required a 386 or later, and about 8 Mb. of RAM to use biggest dictionary. At the end, it was not much faster that the RAR 2.5 of the time, nor got better compression ratios. Keeping in mind, that RAR only used on real mode DOS versions 64 Kb. dictionaries.
    Here are the results of my investigation: http://www.javiergutierrezchamorro.com/ain/2639
    You can use Google Translate if not able to read spanish: https://translate.google.es/translat...-text=&act=url

Hop you like it!