Thread: Faustian Bargain for JPEG 2000 Supremacy

Thanks

Faustian Bargain for JPEG 2000 Supremacy

I have solved the last technical hurdle for my JPEG 2000 OpenCL encoder: I am now getting over
    50 FPS T1 single tile, 5 resolution, 32x32 code block encoding for 2K RGB 4:4:4 images
    on my three year old, mid-range HD 7700 graphics card.

Cards coming out this year from AMD should have at least 10 times more compute power and at least
    5 times more memory bandwidth than the 7700. Since encoding on the GPU is mostly memory-bound,
    I expect to get at least 50 FPS for 4K encoding with these cards, something only achievable
    with custom FPGA hardware at the moment.

And no, I didn't sell my soul to get these speeds, although I was sorely tempted during my struggle with the MQ
    coder.

I am planning on open-sourcing my project once it is complete and producing ISO/IEC 15444-1 compliant compressed
    images - hopefully some time in the spring.

Cheers,
    Aaron

Thanks
    But how is the quality ? When talking lossy format quality is a important factor speaking performance. look at intel quicksynx h.264 encoder it was fast but quality was bad compared to x.264 (unless you tried to make x.264 as fast as quicksync)

Thanks
    By quality, are you referring to the compression ratio, or to differences between decoded image and original image?

For either case, I can't comment on the quality yet, since I haven't actually created any compressed files.
    I've only finished the tier 1 coding (the computationally expensive part), tier 2 remains.

I will be following the standard approach for lossy jpeg 2000 compression:

1) colour transform
    2) DWT and quantization - single precision floating point operations
    3) Context formation and MQ coding for all bit planes <= most significant bit plane
    4) Post compression rate distortion to find optimal rate distortion per code block

My initial release will support 32x32 code blocks ( a reasonable size), and no tiling (tiling can introduce artifacts
    at boundaries).

So, I hope to be able to maintain excellent performance, image quality, and compression quality.

Thanks
    By quality i refer to the perceived quality of the picture compared to the input picture for a spectrum of different bitrates. Speed is nothing if the output is terrible

Thanks
    Well, all I can say is that so far, I have not had to make any image quality sacrifices to gain speed.
    Luckily, I have been able to create some new approaches that, while giving the identical output of
    the standard serial encoding, take full advantage of the massively parallel GPU architecture. In short,
    my philosophy has been that of "Doing Not-Doing". This will be clearer when I open up my repository.