Thread: Good free SIMD library for x86 SSE & ARM NEON?

Filling a much-needed gap in the literature
    Thanks

Good free SIMD library for x86 SSE & ARM NEON?

I'm looking for a good, fast, free, and understandable SIMD library or two for x86 with SSE & ARM with NEON. (Support for other platforms would be nice, since I want to give away anything good I come up with, but those two platforms are the only two I personally need.)

I need to be able to do mostly simple things, like deinterleave three or four interleaved streams of bytes or shorts and reinterleave them.

Support for floats and miscellaneous simple media/numerical transforms would be nice---e.g., SIMD delta coding or linear prediction for audio & graphics streams---elegant coding & raw speed are more important than fancy features, and I'm mainly looking for a sound foundation to start writing custom code. (I'm a SIMD noob, and a good framework might reduce the stupid design mistakes I'll make.) Pre-built stuff specifically for graphics (e.g., JPEG LOCO-1 predictors) or audio would be nice, but is optional. I will mainly be punting to specific higher-level libraries for very common media formats like 24-bit RGB or 16-bit stereo audio, and focusing on detecting and exploiting arrays of structured records. (The sao star catalog from the Silesia corpus is a good example.)

I will be dealing with only small power-of-two-sized blocks of data (4KB or 16KB) and want to do things in chunks that will typically stay in modest-sized caches.

The ideal package would be a popular one that's foundation for other good packages---e.g. something that others have already built image-or audio- processing libraries on top of---so that it's likely to support new stuff like AVX on a reasonable timescale.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    I've searched some months ago and found nothing really useful.

I'd like to use Clang vector extensions with a pure-C fallback, but:
    1. The fallback has to be explicit
    2. x86 SIMD is not supported, only ARM / PowerPC.
    Yes, I really found nothing better than this.

3. Thanks:

Paul W. (17th May 2014)

Filling a much-needed gap in the literature
    Thanks
    I noticed that libgjpeg-turbo has both x86 and NEON tweaks---those are the two platforms it optimizes for---but I haven't looked closely at it to see how easy it would be to extract & reuse the basic array-fiddling code and/or simple 2D transforms, or how fast it really is for primitive ops. (My understanding is that it's often 2-4x faster than regular libjpeg for jpeg-level stuff, but I don't know what that means for low-level stuff like vector transforms.)