Thread: Compression for a stream that flushes often?

Thanks

Compression for a stream that flushes often?

I'm building compression for an RPC platform - in which most messages are approximately 100 - 1000 bytes. As we need to flush the message out very often, our compression ratio isn't great.

What compression algorithm works well with constant flushing? Currently we're using LZMA.

Thanks
    Block based algoritms aren't suited for frequent flushing but most other can be adjusted for that.

Your option is keeping a state on both ends of communication (eg a LZ77 window, a PPM model, etc) and/ or using a precomputed dictionary/ model. I think some PPMd variants had support for precomputed models.

3. Thanks:

aninternet (16th April 2014)

Thanks
    I'm running LZMA - is it suitable for flushing? It does keep a LZ77 window. Using HC4 branch predictor seems to perform much better than BT4.

Thanks
    The problem with dictionary-based methods is that you have to have a buffer ahead of up to the maximum match length for a "normal" ratio.

Try something byte-based instead: PPM variants or context models.

Thanks
    lzma has a big output header, if I remember correctly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSelian View Post
    lzma has a big output header, if I remember correctly.
    I thought it was around 6 bytes? Using LZMA does reduce our data usage by 30% - but we think we can go further. I'll benchmark ppmd.

Also, we have pretty strict memory requirements on decompression - what performs well on a 32kb dictionary?

Thanks
    This sounds like an interesting use case. I can't quite picture all of the details, though. Is it bidirectional? Since you're talking about flushing and not terminating, I imagine the compressed stream must be spanning multiple procedure calls/messages. That way, you'd actually have a chance to build up a dictionary. I'm guessing the flushes are not at arbitrary points, either, but coincide with some kind of natural break within the content of the stream. So they wouldn't necessarily shorten matches.

I'm interested in hearing more of the details, if you're at liberty to share them.

Thanks
    You can use zlib with Z_SYNC_FLUSH.
    From http://www.zlib.net/manual.html:
    If the parameter flush is set to Z_SYNC_FLUSH, all pending output is flushed to the output buffer and the output is aligned on a byte boundary, so that the decompressor can get all input data available so far.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nburns View Post
    This sounds like an interesting use case. I can't quite picture all of the details, though. Is it bidirectional? Since you're talking about flushing and not terminating, I imagine the compressed stream must be spanning multiple procedure calls/messages. That way, you'd actually have a chance to build up a dictionary. I'm guessing the flushes are not at arbitrary points, either, but coincide with some kind of natural break within the content of the stream. So they wouldn't necessarily shorten matches.

I'm interested in hearing more of the details, if you're at liberty to share them.

Sure! It's not bidirectional - since communication mostly happens entirely one way. (Server to client). The compressed stream does span multiple messages, and we do currently build up a dictionary. The flushes are not at arbitrary points - but often times longer message sequences do repeat. I have looked at not flushing as often if there is a way to "batch" up messages.

Currently, LZMA2 actually works pretty decently for this.

Thanks
    charles bloom commercial library has exactly that you need, developed for game severs

12. Thanks:

aninternet (19th April 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    charles bloom commercial library has exactly that you need, developed for game severs

Can you link me to this?

Thanks