Thread: Anyone know which compression algorithm does this?

Thanks

Anyone know which compression algorithm does this?

Hi all,

I came across this compression algorithm some time ago, but I can't remember what algorithm it is. What I remember was the compression ratio was about 50%, and there's something unique about the way it pads the compressed payload to a byte. The first 3 bits of the compressed payload indicates the number of padding bits, and they are not all ones or zeros. Instead, it takes the last however many number of bits of the size of the uncompressed data.

For example, if the first 3 bits indicate that there are 7 padding bits, and the uncompressed data is 1000 bytes long, then the padding bits is 1101000.

Does anyone know which compression algorithm does something like this?

Thank you!

Thanks
    It was a common method that could be applied to any almost any encoder. Sine the compressed output string is seldom a nice number dividable by 8. People who did not understand bijective coding sometimes had a field in front to tell the space need to write the whole string as any number so the decoder would not think more data is to be decoded. Actually today people don't care about header space so they sometimes store the number of symbols or they can encode a special symbol one time that marks end of compressed stream at the end. Actually for static or dynamic Huffman on short files it might have been common at one time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biject.bwts View Post
    It was a common method that could be applied to any almost any encoder. Sine the compressed output string is seldom a nice number dividable by 8. People who did not understand bijective coding sometimes had a field in front to tell the space need to write the whole string as any number so the decoder would not think more data is to be decoded.
    Thanks for the reply. I understand that there is a need to pad the compressed output string to a byte, but wouldn't it be easier to just use all zero bits or all one bits? I thought using part of the uncompressed data size as the padding bits was pretty unusual, although I'm not really all that familiar with too many compression algorithms.

ETA: My next question is are there any tools or methods out there to detect for the kind of compression algorithm used? For example, given a compressed output string, how does one go about finding out how the data was compressed? I've seen mentions of lzmarec to detect for lzma streams, and reflate to detect for deflate streams. Is there any more?
    Last edited by hjazz; 20th March 2014 at 09:23.

Expert
    Thanks
    Have you tried precomp? It searches for deflate streams and uncompresses them. http://schnaader.info/precomp.php
    But I guess from your description it is not a deflate stream.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    Have you tried precomp? It searches for deflate streams and uncompresses them. http://schnaader.info/precomp.php
    But I guess from your description it is not a deflate stream.
    No, I'll give precomp a try.

Another thing I remember was that there wasn't any literals in the compressed output. If I'm not wrong, I think a lot of compression algorithms do have literals in the output?

Expert
    Thanks
    How do you know if there are literals? deflate uses literals like all LZ77 algorithms, but they are Huffman coded.

Thanks
    I compressed a string of the character 'a' with a couple of compression algorithms (LZ4, LZO), and saw at least 1 'a' in the output.

Is Huffman coding the only thing, or rather, the most common method compression algorithms use to encode literals? If there are different encoding for the same character for different input texts, then does that point to dynamic huffman coding?

ETA: I've tried the precomp 0.3 and 0.4 in PerfectCompress. Am I right to say if the output PCF contains the same compressed output string, i.e. no change, then the compressed string wasn't a deflate stream?
    Last edited by hjazz; 21st March 2014 at 09:23.

Expert
    Thanks
    Precomp should produce a PCF file that is larger than the input if it contained a deflate string. It should also print a message if it finds something. The detection method isn't perfect but usually works.

Algorithms using byte-aligned LZ77 for high speed like Snappy and I think LZ4 and LZO will show literals. However, others like deflate and LZMA (7zip) use different methods of encoding literals. Deflate uses a static Huffman code, so a literal might be 7 or 9 bits but in any case it will not be the same bits and usually not aligned on a byte boundary. LZMA compresses the literals and matches using arithmetic coding.

Maybe it would help if we knew where the files came from.

Thanks
    I have a couple of compressed output strings, if that would help.

The compressed output for 1000 bytes of the character 'A' is

Code:
    5b 27 f8 34 81 4f 6b 28 3b 0f
    Another input text was 1410 bytes of the repeated string "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789", meaning the string repeats until there is a total of 1410 characters.

Code:
    4c 2b 50 2f f8 b4 04 aa 42 8c 65 9e f1 05 87 5c a4 65 72 91 b2 c6 f7 fa 27 eb b3 5b 45 7b ba 9a ed ee 2c bb c2 2b 25