Thread: Best compressor and his parameters for Ghost files?

Thanks

Best compressor and his parameters for Ghost files?

Which you think is the best compressor and his parameters to compress ".gho" files?
    I have a lot of hard disk images (Windows XP operating system + programs + user files) and need to compress to save space in an external hard disk.

Thank you!
    Greetings.

Thanks
    I think the key is data deduplication and not to encrypt the image. Usually there are many duplicated data on a partition. Use the fabulous SREP tool plus any good compressor. Furthermore, you might use FreeArc using Precomp+SREP+LZMA methods, or even better, Precomp+SREP+fast CM compressor (ZCM, NanoZip). Do not use PAQ* compressors because they are extremely slow with huge data size and they're not practical with these files.

Edit: I forgot to say all PAQ compressors have the 2GB limit per file so if SREP gives you a file greater in size you'll not be able to compress it! An exception is PAQ9A AFAIK.
    Last edited by hiddenuser; 19th March 2014 at 02:38. Reason: 2GB limit on PAQ compressors

3. Thanks:

surfersat (19th March 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Probably freearc or zpaq or something that does deduplication or long range match finding and detection of already compressed data.

5. Thanks:

Thanks
    since ghost files is jsut a container and not really a specifci kind of data there is a lot of factors to that

is the .gho file allready internally compressed ? in so case it might be better to make a new .gho file without compression be comrpession it with a third party tool
    What kind of data files is in the .gho file and how many of them are allready compressed

my knowledge is pretty low compared to the expects in here but i would probably look at Bulats SREP if your .gho files are large, it did wonders to many of my dvd data images.

7. Thanks:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddenuser View Post
    Furthermore, you might use FreeArc using Precomp+SREP+LZMA methods, or even better, Precomp+SREP+fast CM compressor (ZCM, NanoZip).
    precomp+srep+dispack+delta+lzma/zcm/nz

9. Thanks:

surfersat (21st March 2014)