Thread: selfextracting with default path from registry

Thanks

selfextracting with default path from registry

i'm making small unoffical patches to a game. mostly because the games update sever is severely congested during update times but also for backup purpose.

i need to make a self extractin archive where the default suggested install path is taking from a registry entry.
    however the registry entry can be in 3 different places depending on region.

anyknow such a self extracting option ?

or a way i could do this by a batch files to copy the files to the destination in the registry ?

Tester
    Thanks
    You'd need to unpack the SFX to a temporary directory, then run a self-made BAT file or an EXE file to find out the correct location and then copy the files from temporary to final location. In WinRAR there's "Setup" keyword for selecting the application that is run after the files are unpacked. More info on RAR SFX commands.

Here's an answer to the question "how to read registry string value from batch file", that should help in case you select BAT way.
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Thanks
    thank you for the link I've been looking at that site but dint stumble upon it.
    at least now ii can make somehow patched solutions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Fox View Post
    More info on RAR SFX commands.
    Information on that site is a little bit outdated. There are additional commands like SetupCode and Update are exist.
    WinRAR.chm will probably be a better resource

Thanks
    SenBent, i suggets you to master InnoSetup what will provide you full freedom of programming and allow to use better lzma compression