Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Is Pravda changing or is it me

  1. #1
    Member biject.bwts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts

    Is Pravda changing or is it me

    I am now an old man. When I was young I use to listen to the lies of Pravda (well english broadcasts from russia on short wave radio). I always like listening to my dads short wave radio to hear the news from cuba and other countries. I felt it gave me a better view of what was really happening in the world. Trust me even years ago most of the worlds news was pure propaganda. The news made me respect the news from american sources. True the US news still had some BS but is was better than most countries. What is sad is that today the news in the US is mostly lies and propaganda we are the becoming the old soviet union and in some ways worse as our media is more skilled in shaping public opinion than the old line soviets.
    I once worked for NASA however NASA is no more a great american icon and as you most likely know the era of US space exploration is coming to and end and NASA is just another political tool. Maybe the Chinese will led mankind to space exploration as its people become more free. Still my favorite country is the Swiss but they are to small to do much space stuff.
    I am writing this because it seems more and more the most honest articles seem to came from Pravda here is link to the article that cause me to write this in the off topic area.

    http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/col...bal_warming-0/

    Notice that even great French men are leaving France to get Russian passports. What is happening in the world. Show me that I am wrong.

  2. #2
    Expert
    Matt Mahoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,257
    Thanks
    307
    Thanked 795 Times in 488 Posts
    I can't say if Pravda is changing (I assume it has since Stalin), but it is kind of refreshing to see how the rest of the world views the U.S. for a change.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kraków, Poland
    Posts
    1,488
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 130 Times in 100 Posts
    Well, there are some signs of a change. For example:
    When Priced in Gold, the US economy is at Depression-Era Levels
    And a quote from the same blog:
    Not to mention, higher taxes never fix the problem. As we?ve discussed times before, the US fiscal situation is no longer a tax or political issue, it?s a simple arithmetic problem. Failure is inevitable.

    Here?s another way to put it? in 2011, the US government spent 19.7% of all the tax revenue it collected just to pay interest on the debt. In 2012, the percentage was even higher.

    So we?re talking one fifth of every tax dollar collected goes to pay interest at a time when interest rates are practically ZERO! Imagine how much they?d have to pay if interest rates rise, even by the slightest bit.
    U.S. is printing money like crazy and this is not going to work endlessly. Current situation (not only in U.S. but also in eg Europe) begs for a system reset. And system reset means chaos, which in turn means strongly lowered productivity. I think in the next 10 or maximum 20 years we will se some serious reshufflings when it comes to the ranking of most influential and wealthy countries.

    But this is only my opinion. I don't know the future for sure

  4. #4
    Member m^2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ślůnsk, PL
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    It's the 1st Pravda article that I read and I guess the last - now I understand why it's so infamous.
    I totally buy their facts, but the way it's written is just dreadful, it appears that the author would like to destroy the western speakers who express opinions different than his. Actually though the scandal with faking global warming evidence by people perceived as scientists still makes me feel bitter, the fact that the author needs to make personal attacks to defend his views makes me think that there might be some weaknesses in the argument that I miss.

  5. #5
    Member biject.bwts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    If I understand you. You are saying its the last one you wish to read since not written in a style that suits your taste. What do you want something full of lies written in the elite liberal east coast snob style that lies about the facts? Your dislike has nothing to do with the facts of the article! First of all the guy is not an american his english may be different. Try coming to El Paso where words often in strange order due to spanish influence and see how you like it here. I could care less his style and his skill in telling off the elites. All I care about are the facts and the guy seemed spot on. But then again I don't know how to write english and saddly its the only human language I am so what acquainted with. You should try to expand your mind and read what the news is in other countries and you will be amazed not only what you can learn but also the differences in how the news is presented around the world.

  6. #6
    Member m^2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ślůnsk, PL
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biject.bwts View Post
    If I understand you. You are saying its the last one you wish to read since not written in a style that suits your taste. What do you want something full of lies written in the elite liberal east coast snob style that lies about the facts? Your dislike has nothing to do with the facts of the article! First of all the guy is not an american his english may be different. Try coming to El Paso where words often in strange order due to spanish influence and see how you like it here. I could care less his style and his skill in telling off the elites. All I care about are the facts and the guy seemed spot on. But then again I don't know how to write english and saddly its the only human language I am so what acquainted with. You should try to expand your mind and read what the news is in other countries and you will be amazed not only what you can learn but also the differences in how the news is presented around the world.
    It's not about language skills, it's about the goal of the article. They wanted to bash the west, no more no less. They used 2 things to reach it, one was facts, the other was slander and that drives me away.
    Last edited by m^2; 9th January 2013 at 23:31.

  7. #7
    Member biject.bwts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    It's not about language skills, it's about the goal of the article. They wanted to bash the west, no more no less. They used 2 things to reach it, one was facts, the other was slander and that drives me away.
    Well if your correct and its slander then that would be illegal and someone could sue for money. However I am not sure it's slander but then I am not a lawyer. I did not take the article as a bashing of the west. But as a sadness that even the great country America is lost and that sadly we may have to learn the hard way because we seem incapable of learning the lessons Russia had to learn. It would be nice if China India Russia and the US could realizes that freedom and capitalism are the best hopes for man kind. Do you now this very minute hundreds of ships are trapped in a bay because of the unexpected deep freezing weather in China. They don't talk about on the US news since it interferes with the political message of global warming.

    http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-...e1-985380.aspx

    Well when the US news does talk about it I am almost sure they will blame global warming.

  8. #8
    Expert
    Matt Mahoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,257
    Thanks
    307
    Thanked 795 Times in 488 Posts
    Pravda seems to be printing stories on both sides of the global warming issue. I guess that's good.
    http://english.pravda.ru/science/ear...ica_warming-0/

    Not that I am trying to take sides on the issue. There is the same debate in the U.S. (I think the science is clear that the Earth is getting warmer, but I think that trying to prevent it would be worse than doing nothing).

    I am more interested in the viewpoints of other countries. Most news in the U.S. does not say much about the rest of the world, or when they do, it is from an American viewpoint. For example, Russia recently made it illegal for Americans to adopt their children. In the U.S. they interviewed a couple whose would-be adopted child was taken away at the last minute. In the Pravda article, they pointed out that children in the U.S. are murdered at a rate 4 times higher than any other developed country. Such problems won't be solved if we don't hear about them.

  9. #9
    The Founder encode's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    4,009
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked 397 Times in 152 Posts
    The Russian news tell stories about how American families killing innocent children in Jack The Ripper style... 100% bullshit! About 19 adopted kids died in US, at the same time no one saying about thousands children deaths, here, in Russia (counting from 90s).

  10. #10
    Member biject.bwts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    Pravda seems to be printing stories on both sides of the global warming issue. I guess that's good.
    http://english.pravda.ru/science/ear...ica_warming-0/

    Not that I am trying to take sides on the issue. There is the same debate in the U.S. (I think the science is clear that the Earth is getting warmer, but I think that trying to prevent it would be worse than doing nothing).

    I am more interested in the viewpoints of other countries. Most news in the U.S. does not say much about the rest of the world, or when they do, it is from an American viewpoint. For example, Russia recently made it illegal for Americans to adopt their children. In the U.S. they interviewed a couple whose would-be adopted child was taken away at the last minute. In the Pravda article, they pointed out that children in the U.S. are murdered at a rate 4 times higher than any other developed country. Such problems won't be solved if we don't hear about them.
    I read the article. I would say its is just reporting the news of an American study. I would not call it an argument for global warming from Russian scientists point of view. Also check out

    http://news.yahoo.com/chinas-extreme...141522805.html

    Yes the freezing of ships in the ice is a cause of global warming. Every time I listen to the weather on TV hot or cold rain or no rain its always the same crap being beat into our heads about global warming. I have not doubt you believe in it how can anyone escape the media on slot of the global warming mongers.

    Check out http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/06/2...imate-history/

    I look at many sites pro and con the best in my view over all is http://www.icecap.us/ however if your fear that knowledge could change your views I suggest you don't go to there. Why rock you belief system. Having read from many sources I belive the earth is more likely to head into an ice age in the near future which would be far more dangerous to our health than a few degrees warmer.

  11. #11
    Member biject.bwts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by encode View Post
    The Russian news tell stories about how American families killing innocent children in Jack The Ripper style... 100% bullshit! About 19 adopted kids died in US, at the same time no one saying about thousands children deaths, here, in Russia (counting from 90s).
    I thought Russia was pissed and stopped adoptions. Because some lady went though the whole legal procedure to adopt a russian kid and after she got him she put him back on a plane to russia.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36322282...ion-ban-urged/

    But who knows?

Similar Threads

  1. Changing PNG compression
    By przemoc in forum Data Compression
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th August 2012, 21:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •