Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: pcompress, a deduplication/compression utility

Thanks
    can you try without cryptography? i expect that porting will need more work in unexpected places

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nburns View Post
    This seems like it should be a solved problem. For unix-alike systems, tar format is pretty much standard and supports all kinds of filesystem metadata. It is incorporated wholesale into common unix compressed formats, like .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, etc. Incorporating tar into pcompress or zpaq archives might not be feasible for some reason, but it would be a good idea to emulate tar's behavior wherever possible. I'm not sure if there's anything like a tar-equivalent for Windows.

To the extent that this problem remains unsolved, you have to wonder if perhaps it's not a good idea.
    I have not implemented own archiving routines in Pcompress, rather used a fork of the capable Libarchive (http://www.libarchive.org/) which is supported on Windows. I had to keep a fork because I made a few changes to Libarchive to support the specific operational model of Pcompress and also allow fast metadata extraction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    can you try without cryptography? i expect that porting will need more work in unexpected places
    Yes, I agree. I am fully expecting surprises.

Thanks
    Has anybody been able to compile this recently? I tried in both Manjaro and Ubuntu, but it keeps throwing me errors.

I had to downgrade openssl in ubuntu, use a modified version of pcompress in manjaro, and I should downgrade binutils too to make the linker work but I don't want to go there yet. I also tried to find an old copy in my backups, and I didn't have one

Seems that the author sadly abandoned the project. It was a very promising program.

So... has anybody got any luck and want to share their binary? Preferable with WavPack and bsc included. Thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 718 Posts
    With some hacks I was able to build it on msys2 (windows): http://nishi.dreamhosters.com/u/pcompress_v1.7z
    It doesn't want to work with filesystem (creates empty archive), but seems to work in stream mode.

Something like this:
    Code:
    cat * | pcompress -c adapt2 -l2 -t1 -p  >..\test
    pcompress.exe -d -p <../test >unp

6. Thanks (5):

comp1 (16th October 2019),Gonzalo (17th October 2019),hunman (16th October 2019),maadjordan (16th October 2019),Mike (16th October 2019)

Thanks
    Thank you Shelwien. I'll give it a try. Although what I really wanted was the program working as an archiver.

Thanks
    Ok... Tried

Code:
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    An before that,

Code:
    Cygwin WARNING:  Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer.  This typically occurs if you're using
      an older Cygwin version on a newer Windows.  Please update to the latest
      available Cygwin version from https://cygwin.com/.  If the problem persists,
      please see https://cygwin.com/problems.html
    The opensuse version from berelix downloads also crashed, but at least could initialize to the point of showing the options.

I was thinking about downloading an old liveCD with build-essentials from that time and try compiling it there. Anyways, seems that the code itself isn't very mature so I don't know if it's worth it.

Thanks
    Hi there!
    Yeah, I know that I'm kinda late but maybe it will be useful for someone in the future.
    I totally agree that pcompress is so powerful compression utility, I think that it's one of the most efficient ones (also with nanozip and freearc).
    I've decided to compile it on my own and... Being honest that was a lot of work in 2020 (a lot more that I previously expected ) but at the same time I think it was worth it.

For any future reader of this thread, here is static binary of latest it's latest repo clone. I've compiled it under x64 Ubuntu 14 VM (mainly because of legacy OpenSSL compatibility).
    I also tested it on Linux Mint 20, Ubuntu 14 and recent openSUSE snapshot and everything was working fine.

I hope it will work on every amd64 Linux distro.

Also it's my first post on this forum, I really appreciate the idea and it helped me a lot many times.
    Sorry for my poor English and have a nice day
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Any chance of compiling it for windows x64?

11. Thanks:

hunman (30th June 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by madserb View Post
    Any chance of compiling it for windows x64?
    I think that it can be done but afaik pcompress wasn't designed to work on windows from it's beginning ( source1, source2 ).
    I tried to build it on msys2 under windows 10 x64 but it failed on ./config and I gave up. Although I think that it isn't that impossible. The main problem is to downgrade openssl to version 1.0 and pretend to be a linux-based OS.
    Also I saw that Shelwien made something like that but unfortunately it isn't working right now.
    So I think that there's a really big chance to get it compiled on windows too ( only x64 because afaik 32-bit is not supported by pcompress ) but it's just not that simple.

Eventually You can install wsl2 on windows then run pcompress compiled for linux and as I just checked it works too.

I will try to compile pcompress under windows too and I will let you if it worked

13. Thanks:

hunman (30th June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanks. I wish you well with the trials. I tested Shelwien's version but not easy to use and doesn't support all functionality

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456