Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SHA3 winner announced

Expert
    Thanks
    > Why not to use blake2s or even blake2sp? They will be 3-10 times faster than SHA256.

BLAKE2 has not received the same security analysis as BLAKE did because it was not a SHA-3 finalist. BLAKE2 is faster because it uses fewer rounds and drops the round constants.

Also, the speed advantage is only on 64 bit processors. SHA-1 and SHA-256 use 32 bit operations. Of course 32 bit processors are dinosaurs, but the fact is a lot of people are still running 32 bit operating systems on their 64 bit processors. About 30% of people are even still using Windows XP. http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...10&qpcustomd=0

That said, SHA-1 was probably a poor choice for ZPAQ. I would change it if I wasn't worried about compatibility. I'm not so worried about error detection (CRC32 would be good enough) as much as the possibility of deduplication collisions. I already use SHA-256 for the encryption related functions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    latency? you probably means throughput - it's about 8GB/s, i.e. much faster than SHA1 computation speed
    To use the result of a hash computed on a GPU in a normal program, you must first memcpy it to main memory. Unless you're working strictly with a GPU kernel.

Multiple datatreams are not a problem for brute-force.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    Also, the speed advantage is only on 64 bit processors. SHA-1 and SHA-256 use 32 bit operations.
    Sorry, you are not quite right. Blake2s upon sse4.1 is much faster than sha-256, and blake2sp upon multicores such as i5 and i7 is much faster than sha1. At least, until one have not got SHA-extended CPU. But sse2 and sse4.1 is more common than SHA-extension.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    Of course 32 bit processors are dinosaurs.
    Uhm....no. 32-bit is where most of the cool stuff happens.
    * Heterogenous SMP mixing slim and fat cores in OMAP / Vybrid / ...
    * super-lighthweight SMP in XMOS
    * general-purpose 72-core Tilera (that also happens to expose message passing to the software)
    * VLIW+SIMD in Fujitsu FR-V

I dare say that AMD64 is a dinosaur.

Thanks
    64-bit will become widespread among architectures other than x86 in few years I think. Maybe except very low power CPUs, but if we're talking about such very low power CPUs then probably they are coupled with hardware hash engines or something like that if they spend a lot of time hashing.

Anyway, ZPAQ is not optimized for non-x86 architectures, maybe even won't run, I don't know. Looks like performance of ZPAQ on non-x86 architectures is not a top priority for the moment for Matt

Expert
    Thanks
    I know that zpaq (an earlier version) has run on an ARM processor. zpaq compiles ZPAQL code into 32 or 64 bit x86 but for other processors it interprets the ZPAQL code which is 2-3 times slower.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123