Thread: multi-pass compression

Thanks

multi-pass compression

An unexpected and very interesting input
    from an LZ4 compression user
    which experienced some very nice gains by using multi-pass compression :

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/lz4c...k/AVMOPri0O3gJ

My current guess is that the byte-oriented compressed structure of LZ4 makes it favorable to such scenario.
    Seems like something to investigate...

Thanks
    Its a very cool reminder!

Reminds me of FLZP

FLZP and other byte-oriented non-entropy compressors can be used as preprocessors e.g. http://mattmahoney.net/dc/text.html#4975

Discussion on reddit
    Last edited by willvarfar; 3rd July 2012 at 14:55.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 740 Posts
    In case of LZ4 such a compression improvement is likely due to limits of match length and distance.
    After every pass more matches fit in the window.

However. its much more interesting with lzma, which indirectly supports sparse matches (via rep-distances).
    For lzma, if we'd split matches and literals into separate streams, it would be possible to capture the file structure -
    like in webserver log files etc.

Thanks
    The highly repetitive nature of the LZ4 stream where the tokens are byte aligned. Would make it an easy target for a follow on entropy compressor that uses the underlying structure of the 5 fields to compress each separately. I have a feeling that for most files if repeated passes of LZ4 make for a smaller compressed file then. Just a first pass of LZ4 followed by a smart arithmetic coder that uses as a model the 5 fields of each LZ4 sequence would likely compress to a smaller size than the repeated LZ4 passes.

Thanks
    Yes, i fully agree with the comments in this thread.

However, i think we should not confuse the objective :
    the initial contribution was not stating that LZ4 achieved best compression, it certainly does not, even with multiple pass, compared to state of the art.

The main idea was that using LZ4 with multiple compression passes was a cheap way to grab some impressive compression gains on log file compression.

In any case, it seems that it can be used as a pre-processor, re-using the word of willvarfar.
    Indeed, on top of shortening the length between similar patterns, it also, quite simply, reduce the amount of data to process by the next round.
    It's still possible to use one of the state-of-the-art compressors for the last round (which i would even recommend).
    The SotA compressor will complete its job much faster than when dealing directly with the initial raw data, just because there is so much less to process.

Even if the final compression ratio is "not as strong" as using the SotA algorithm directly on raw data, for such a use case (log file compression), just getting a "pretty similar" compression ratio is good enough. The speed gain is likely to mean useful time saving in real work environments.

And that's the core point of this proposition, imho.

Edit : thanks willvarfar for your initiative on reddit. It seems to attract quite some attention, and useful comments with it.