Thread: Olympia

Thanks

Olympia

Yesterday i watched 5 minutes of the olympic games - it were exactly the right 5 minutes. Guess who took on pole vault for russia? Igor Pavlov!

Thanks
    Then Eugene Roshal should lift the gold cup at Weightlifting...

I personally dislike the Olympic Games. Sport is about personality, about sport achievements of each person. I'm sure that a single man cannot represent the whole country. About sport in Russia. I should pay very serious money for training. Do we have a free access to sport, fitness, whatsoever, in Russia? Nope. When how we can achieve something without serious sport culture and education? How many talented kids not in sports since their parents have no money for descent sport education, trainers, sports equipment? Too many questions...
    However, I see very good movements nowadays. The government investments in sports are grow every single year. Many TV translations and programs for sport popularization, etc.
    I hope we will survive...

Thanks
    I'm not that interested in olympia, too - and didn't want to start a profound discussion. I just had to laugh when i saw it . If i'm not wrong, Igor is a common name in Russia. And Pavlov?

Something i once read about serious sports (a citation of some sportsman):
    "If you want to become a well known and rich sportsman, you have to be rich right from the beginning anyhow."

And i don't know about any free sports activities here - excluding such things as jogging, etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toffer View Post
    I'm not that interested in olympia, too - and didn't want to start a profound discussion. I just had to laugh when i saw it . If i'm not wrong, Igor is a common name in Russia. And Pavlov?
    Yep, it is very common. Like "Ivan". And last names like "Ivanov, Petrov, Sidorov, etc." are also common.
    And i don't know about any free sports activities here - excluding such things as jogging, etc.
    Well I meant about availability - not about completely free of charge. Just regular people with regular earnings cannot be into serious training. I'm sure that in Germany even relatively poor people can visit a local Gym or something. It's about earnings. In some countries people even cannot have own car... or even further have no money for food...

Thanks
    You wrote "free" - that's what made me suspicious. The price ranges are rather large, e.g. between just 16? up to 50? per month. At university it is only 20? per term. So guess you're right.

People having not enough to get food is another completely different thing - it's a general problem of redistribution (of wealth). It's mostly mans nature, if "your ass isn't on fire" you do nothing. That's something you can see in politics very often. And i personally think it deeply anchors in use, since egoism up to a certain level is a product of millions of years of evolution. Otherwise we would still sit in caves.

Thanks
    You wrote "free" - that's what made me suspicious. The price ranges are rather large, e.g. between just 16? up to 50? per month. At university it is only 20? per term. So guess you're right.
    50 euros per month = 600 euros a year

OK, and how about 3000 euros a year? It's only club entrance. Fitness bar, personal trainer, ... OK, I'm talking about club of extra class. Anyway, you'll never find something serious in Moscow for less that 1500 euros a year, and again it's only club entrance... Taking into account that the most people earn less than 500 euros per month...

Thanks
    Well, at lease we are third.

1. China
    2. USA
    3. Russia
    4. UK
    5. Germany

Congratulations to Chinese record holders!