Thread: Channel Capacity

Thanks

Channel Capacity

Hello,
    Is there any way to calculate the channel capacity by given given transition probability matrix as follows:

Expert
    Thanks
    Sorry, not enough information.

Thanks
    Hello Matt,
    What else information do you need??

Expert
    Thanks
    Channel capacity depends on bandwidth and signal to noise ratio. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_capacity

I assume the matrix describes error probabilities with a ternary input and binary output? The input entropy in that case is at most log(3)/log(2) bits per symbol. Then the question is how much of this information can you recover from the binary output stream?

Thanks
    It seems to be a 3x3 matrix, with the diagonal removed.

In this case, it's a ternary input/output.
    And it seems there is enough information to provide bandwidth considering a direct O(1) compression.

It looks a lot like homework to me...

Thanks
    Hello guyz
    Thanks for your help. I think this example might make it more clear for you. Could you please help me to understand how to do this? What is r, Log Y What is X and what is Y in this case? How to find P(x) and P(y)?

Thanks

Expert
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyan View Post
    It seems to be a 3x3 matrix, with the diagonal removed.
    I don't think so because the columns each add to 1. I think it is a transition matrix with 3 symbol alphabet for input and 2 symbol alphabet for output. If your input symbols are (A,B,C) and the output symbols are (0,1), then it says, e.g. if the input is A then the output is 0 with probability 0.7 and so on.

In any case, it's not a symmetric channel. The question is probably how much information can you transmit for each symbol. You probably only want to use A and B to mean 0 and 1 because these have lower error probabilities than C, and probably B more often than A for the same reason. So you would choose p(X = A) a little less than 0.5. To get the optimal value, I suppose you would calculate the derivative of I(X; Y) = H(Y) - H(Y|X) with respect to p(X = A) and set it to 0 to find the maximum and solve for p(X = A). Then you plug that value back into I(X; Y).

To answer your other questions, X and Y are the input and output probability distributions. P(x) means the probability of X = x. Log Y doesn't make any sense to me unless it means log(|Y|) = log(2) = 1 (using log base 2), or log(3) in the symmetric example. H(r) is the entropy of one row, which is the same for all rows only if the channel is symmetric.

Thanks
    Hi Matt, Thanks a lot. Sorry for the delay. Yes this is not symmetric channel. I guess this is called Binary erasure channel (BEC). But how exactly can we calculate the I(x;y) for this channel??

Expert
    Thanks
    I(X; Y) = H(Y) - H(Y|X). H(Y) is the entropy of the channel output assuming you don't know the channel input. H(Y|X) is the entropy assuming you do know. For an error free channel, this would be 0 because if you know the input, then you know the output.

Suppose the input X has a probability distribution (1/3, 1/3, 1/3). Then the output probability of Y = 0 is (0.7 + 0.2 + 0.4)/3 = 1.3/3 = 0.433. Then H(Y) = -0.433 log2 0.433 - 0.567 log2 0.567 = 0.973.

To calculate H(Y|X), calculate the entropy of each of the 3 columns and sum them weighted by their probabilities (1/3). For example, the first column is -0.7 log2 0.7 - 0.3 log2 0.3.

You can do better if X has a non-uniform distribution as I mentioned earlier. To find it, take the derivative of I(X; Y) with respect to P(X = A) and P(X = B), set to 0, and solve to find the maximums.

Thanks
    Hi Mr. Matt thanks a lot for your response. This channel is known binary erasure channel. Is it the same way as in BSC?
    Thanks

Expert
    Thanks
    A binary symmetric channel is easier to calculate. If the error probability is p then H(Y) = 1, H(Y|X) = H(p) = -p log p - (1-p) log (1-p).

Thanks
    Hi matt, thanks again I have designed a small program to calculate that and here is the result. Could u please tell me whether is it right or not?
    thanks
    P(x) matrix = (1/3, 1/3, 1/3)
    then P(X)= 1
    P(y)=~1
    H(X|Y) = 2.4430 bit
    then I(x;y) =~ 0.1291 bit