Thread: JPEG XL reference codec is opensourced

Thanks

JPEG XL reference codec is opensourced

https://gitlab.com/wg1/jpeg-xl contains the reference codec for jpeg xl. It is a work-in-progress, but good enough for testing.

2. Thanks (2):

boxerab (13th February 2020),snowcat (4th January 2020)

Thanks

4. Thanks (4):

Jarek (3rd January 2020),Jyrki Alakuijala (3rd January 2020),Shelwien (3rd January 2020),skal (3rd January 2020)

Thanks
    Dominik Homberger from WebPJS fame ported JPEG XL to JavaScript. I tried it out with two JPEG XL images and it did display them. Attached bees.jxl image wrapped into a .tgz as the forum didn't allow me to attach a jpeg xl directly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

7. Thanks:

compgt (6th February 2020)

Thanks
    I have long forgotten about this patent situation - rejected, closed, abandoned a year ago ...
    The story is that my University has recently prepared promotional ANS animation ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXtmN9fE01k ) - I have told them many times to emphasize current applications (especially zstd), only mention JPEG XL ... but they made JPEG XL's ad instead :/
    Then being asked to comment for media, I said that I don't want to go back to this patent situation ... but this is how media works :/

9. Thanks (2):

compgt (6th February 2020),Hakan Abbas (7th February 2020)

Thanks
    I don't quite get it. Google cannot patent ANS now, yet Jyrki is from Google, developing JPEG XL. And Google doesn't have to pay for its own ANS implementations? So, Google won in a way.

Thanks
    No patents means than anybody can freely use it - without worry of being sued ... in contrast e.g. to arithmetic coding which usage was paralyzed by patents for a few decades.

Thanks
    Large popular thread mostly about JPEG XL: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22261612

e.g. jonsneyers:
    It may not be the best name, but it sure is better than the names of the projects it was based on: PIK and FUIF. At least if you speak Dutch. A "pik" is a penis and a "fuif" is a party, so the combination would be the "penis party" image codec. I prefer "JPEG XL".The etymology of the name "XL" is as follows: JPEG has called all its new standards since j2k something that starts with an X: XR, XT, XS (S for speed, since it is very fast and ultra-low-latency), and now XL. The L is supposed to mean Long term, since the goal is to make something that can replace the legacy JPEG and last as long as it did.
    FLIF doesn't parallelize well, but that's not really because of the MA trees, but just because the whole bitstream is inherently sequential.Modular mode in JPEG XL also has MA trees, but the bitstream is organized in a way that allows parallel decode (as well as efficient cropped decode).
    FLIF author here. I have been working on FUIF and JPEG XL the past two years. FUIF is based on FLIF but is better at lossy. JPEG XL is a combination of Google's PIK (~VarDCT mode) and FUIF (~Modular mode). You'll be able to mix both codecs for a single image, e.g. VarDCT for the photo parts, Modular for the non-photo parts and to encode the DC (1:8 ) in a super-progressive way.I'm very excited about JPEG XL, it's a great codec that has all the technical ingredients to replace JPEG, PNG and GIF. We are close to finalizing the bitstream and standardizing it (ISO/IEC 18181). Now let's hope it will get adoption!
    Modular mode JPEG XL has MAANS (meta-adaptive ANS). It's indeed faster to decode than MANIAC, though a bit trickier to encode.
    TIFF is a very hairy animal, but I'm happy to report that JPEG XL will be able to offer most of the functionality TIFF is currently used for:- multi-layer (overlays), with named layers
    - high bit depth
    - metadata (the JXL file format will support not just Exif/XMP but also JUMBF, which gives you all kinds of already-standardized metadata, e.g. for 360)
    - arbitrary extra channels
    All that with state-of-the-art compression, both lossy and lossless.
    janwas:
    Good news: the reference software (http://gitlab.com/wg1/jpeg-xl) can decode about 50 Megapixels/s on a single Skylake core, with 3.1-3.7x speedup on 4 cores.Encoding throughput is configurable from ~1 MP/s to about 50 per core. That's somewhat slower than JPEG, but can be faster with multiple cores.
    Yes indeed, for the lossless mode (based on tech by the same author) we're seeing about 45-82% of GIF size, and 60-80% of (A)PNG depending on content.

13. Thanks (4):

JamesB (10th February 2020),Piglet (8th February 2020),schnaader (9th February 2020),Shelwien (8th February 2020)

Thanks
    Another interesting post there (skal?) - one could think that WebP will be replaced with JPEG XL, but surprise: WebP v2 is also coming:

WebP version 2 is in the work at AOM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zogxpP2lm-oIt is complementary to AVIF (which targets photo capture more than delivery over the web).

WebP2 is like WebP: keep it simple, with only useful and efficient features, no fancy stuff. And aim at very low bitrate, it's the current trend, favoring image size over pristine quality.

Progressive rendering uses ~3x more resources on client side. So, instead, better have efficient 300-bytes thumbnails in the header.
    Does anybody know the details? I couldn't find anything but this YouTube lecture.